What's new

[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (Archive)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I guess you could keep providing an old driver version, with a warning that it might not be safe if used in Repeater or Media Bridge mode (maybe a warning on the System Operational Mode page?). Router and AP mode will be fine according to an Email exchange I had with Asus a few weeks ago.
As I understand it, this build uses an older, more stable (?) driver and what you're saying that users can continue with this build and forego updates to newer drivers due to KRACK ?

As I understand it, this build uses an older, more stable (?) driver and what you're saying that users can continue with this build and forego updates to newer drivers due to KRACK ?

As long they ONLY use it in router or access point mode, and that John is willing to put the extra work in maintaining two separate builds. Otherwise, you would eventually be exposed to other security issues that require at least a newer firmware build (for instance the dnsmasq CVEs that are fixed with dnsmasq 2.78).

In my case, I only use 'router' mode. Whatever route John takes is fine with me. I certainly understand the downside of maintaining two builds and if had no interest in doing so, it's his call ! ;)

Now that the new SDK releases have been out for a while with the new wireless drivers, does anyone have any data (or subjective impressions) to share on how performance compares to the legacy versions?

To tell the other side of the story, entirely subjectively, there is no difference in the new and old drivers on a launch model AC68U and an AC68W that I tried v27 on.

And just to add more to the mix....it is likely that the KRACK fix (once released) will require the new SDK and not be able to be applied to the legacy AC68U builds.

Replacing RT-N16 with RT-AC66U-B1 (refurb from AMZ for $67.99 before tax).

vql2rn.jpg

Do I need to do anything to flash to the @john9527 firmware?

I only have three fixed IP addresses. The only change to the RT-N16 firmware is channel bandwidth 40MHz (we are in the boonies). (No 5GHz yet.)

Update: It does have a blue USB3 port in the front.

Last edited:
Guys im having an issue. I had an N66U before and I could flash it perfectly using the rescue mode and recovery tool.

But now I bought a new AC68U Rev E1 and I cannot enter rescue mode. I can reset nvram and reset to factory settings but it refuses to enter rescue mode. Does anybody know if ASUS removed the functionality on their newer revision?

EDIT: I managed to solve this by upgrading to the latest ASUS firmware, then doing an NVRAM restore and finally entering rescue mode.

Last edited:
Nothing special. You just need to use recovery mode to flash the firmware. Remember to use the RT-AC68U firmware, not the RT-AC66U. Also, you must use the "E" builds only, not the legacy "L" builds.
Thank you very much!

With the upcoming possibility of a WiFi driver change related to KRACK, I'm looking to replace my old RT-N66U with a second hand RT-AC68U.
Should I look for the Rev A1,A2,B1 or is it better to go for the Rev C1,E1?

I'm also not sure if I understand about the 'L' and 'E' builds for the AC68U.

Some guidance is welcome. :)

Edit: WiFi range is prio1. That's also why I like the older SDK drivers for my currently used RT-N66U.

Last edited:
Is there a post that explains Merlin vs john9527 firmware (especially regarding the RT-AC66U-B1)?

Just flip a coin?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!