What's new

Forum bias toward Netgear and Asus?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any further questions about SNBforum bias?
Not really. I think the original question was not about bias per se (and it's negative connotation) but rather, why did you decide to have dedicated forums for only Asus and Netgear routers rather than other makes. I'm guessing it's because those two brands were the most popular with your target audience?

Whatever the reasoning, it's all good.

Please get back on topic folks. Any further questions about SNBforum bias?

I have no issues with Asus and/or Netgear presence - they're vendors, and that's ok...

My concern is that we get into a situation where there is little to no moderation - so Asus stuff tends to dominate all of the sub-forums at the expense of others...

My concern is that we get into a situation where there is little to no moderation - so Asus stuff tends to dominate all of the sub-forums at the expense of others...
I don't agree. I see plenty of moderation happening throughout the day, every day. What kind of moderation were you expecting? If someone has a question about the VPN on their Asus router, are you saying they aren't allowed to post in the VPN sub-forum? Yes there's many cases where a noob will post an Asus question in completely the wrong forum. But when I see that I report it and it's usually moved in less than 24 hours. This isn't a money making forum for Tim so you can't expect instant 24/7 response. I'm sure he has a real life outside this forum.

I don't agree. I see plenty of moderation happening throughout the day, every day. What kind of moderation were you expecting?

Well - there isn't... the Mod's are not doing their "job" to move content into the proper/better space...

One has to weed the garden, otherwise everything becomes weeds...

Really comes down to the signal to noise ratio - not everyone even cares about Asus...

One has to weed the garden, otherwise everything becomes weeds...

Really comes down to the signal to noise ratio - not everyone even cares about Asus...
I agree. But as I said, when I report a misplaced post it gets moved. Are you reporting the things you see or just expecting them to be proactively moved by someone who's constantly monitoring every post?

I agree. But as I said, when I report a misplaced post it gets moved. Are you reporting the things you see or just expecting them to be proactively moved by someone who's constantly monitoring every post?

I shouldn't have to get to that point... "this is a weed"

Weeds are what they are...

In any case - not my garden to tend to...

What would draw other platform users here? What existing content would they be seeking? Chicken and egg problem.

How would they know today in 2024 that SNB stood for Small Network Builders? That link seems quite severed now.

I do think the forum could use additional moderators, but it seems a difficult clique to penetrate. Better luck joining the Masons. :)

I do like this place. Even when I had no Asus router running, I still visited frequently to keep up with the happenings. I found it very unwelcoming in either of the *Sense forums. OpenWrt is much better but some of the regulars can be real dicks to new users.

I do like this place.

+1, it's a good community. Personally I've got no active Asus gear anymore, and my only active Netgear hardware is an unmanaged switch ... but I still read this site regularly.

I am not sure whether Tim would like to expand this site's audience or is content to just let it drift along. If the former, creating some sub-forums for other now-popular manufacturers couldn't hurt. If you don't build it, they won't come.

Well - there isn't... the Mod's are not doing their "job" to move content into the proper/better space...
I'm moving multiple posts on a daily basis. I call BS on your claims.

I'm generalising here but....
It's the content that creates forums. Without the dedicated subforums users would have to trawl through multiple posts to find relevant content. The fact that Asus and Netgear have their own subforums speaks to the popularity of these devices and their third party firmware (though netgear has dropped off somewhat).
I've been reading these forums for years and I only signed up recently, and the layout helps me find what I need. I don't see enough enquiries about T-PLink or Synology to warrant their own subforums.
This place has a reputation now for it's memberships combined knowledge on asus devices (has anyone visited the asus forums recently? So elitist over there) This should not discourage users of other manufacturer's equipment from posting but somehow it does - who's to blame for that?
At the end of the day this place is free to the end-user so the owner's policies should not be criticised for drawing users in with specific subforums to help pay for the server by being somewhat (but not overly) funded by advertisements. They are not stopping the discussion of other manufacturer's equipment. If they were they'd kill off the non-asus forums and make this a strictly asus/netgear forum. No doubt if enough people wanted to discuss Apple there would be an Apple subforums.

TL;DR It wasn't created this way, it just happened. Evolution!

Last edited:
I'm moving multiple posts on a daily basis. I call BS on your claims.

Basically a free ride for AsusWRT-RMerlin and the scripting community...

Just saying, that's what the traffic is these days - and @thiggins is footing the bill...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!