What's new

Forum bias toward Netgear and Asus?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominikHoffmann

Occasional Visitor
Seeing that there are dedicated sub-fora for Asus and Netgear I am wondering, whether there is a general preference for those two brands. I don’t have a problem with that, per se, but am curious about why. Why aren’t there fora for Ubiquiti, Meraki, Linksys, Eero, EnGenius, etc.?

It's full here and stinks of ASUS fanboys.

Well - it's complicated...

It's dense with Asus stuff due to SEO and AsusWRT-RMerlin, and folks kind of let it go... so even with the dedicated subforums, we get stuff across all of them - seems lately like this is the primary Asus Support forum, mostly because of a few engaged folks, much appreciated, but still...

I also would like to see engagement on other platforms, but it is what it is...

but am curious about why

Here is why - this forum is not really independent. It's alive because of Asus. They provide support for Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware. Asus cuts the support > Asuswrt-Merlin dies > the forum dies shortly after. It's mainly Asuswrt-Merlin support forum. You can't share here everything you know about Asus routers or Asuswrt firmware. Some interesting modifications proven possible are in category "illegal". The most popular one was allowed only after Asus placed the hardware on End-Of-Life list.

My take on this is simple. It's what the market has right now that has risen above all others.

Before I tried an Asus router, Netgear routers were head and shoulders above anything else I had experienced, performance-wise.

After using the RT-N66U and seeing obvious gains over the comparable NG products back then, I ventured into using RMerlin's firmware. Best choice I ever made.

Not only was the Asus hardware the most performant possible. It was also the most stable, and most secure too (with each update).

Back then, I constantly compared stock Asus vs. RMerlin versions. Eventually, that got boring. RMerlin's firmware + Asus hardware was always the most performant, most stable, least glitchy, and most secure platform.

Fast forward to today, and Asus has gone above and beyond any other manufacturer with the support it gives Eric for his firmware. And, it is still head and shoulders above any other consumer router manufacturer with regards to secure code, applets, etc.

While I use and prefer Asus hardware and RMerlin's firmware and highly recommend it, I also appreciate the work @Voxel puts into the Netgear routers he supports and I support him (and his users) just as highly, if only in spirit, today.

There has to be nectar to attract the honey bees. Asus and Netgear have that nectar for certain models.

All others are just 'me too' products with no soul or heart to them. I see them daily when I replace them with RMerlin-powered Asus routers (or suggest to the owners that Voxel has firmware they may want to consider to solve their network issues).

To my customers, I 'guarantee' the network will be noticeably better (faster, more stable, and more secure) than their old router. If it is not, I will put back their old network gear in place at no charge.

I know why I'm here. I want to share the best balance/bang for the buck I have found in the networking world in the last decade with as many people as possible.

Not because I have any agenda. Rather, that is how I also received (freely) the advice, tips, and procedures from the people who helped me first help myself and learn about networking and Asus routers in particular, and have allowed me to help others too.

Have you seen the forums for those other companies? If they don't like your question, it's deleted (and/or, you're banned). That tells me a lot about the company I (don't) want to do business with.

They support Asuswrt-Merlin firmware development. Asuswrt-Merlin section is the most active forum. What else they do or don't is not our business. I really hope they support the developers financially because what they do increases the sales of specific Asus products.

I know Cisco has their own small business forum. I use Cisco small business and I post a lot here. You can post here also with whatever brand you use.

Ubiquiti's user forums are incredibly busy, and no they don't delete unfriendly content --- in fact, there's a ton of that, corresponding to the ancient rule that only people with a problem bother to post. Zyxel has a user forum as well, though it's kind of low-traffic and definitely not lively. (I've not seen evidence that Zyxel deletes negative traffic there, but I've not paid close enough attention to be sure.) In either one, you will get the attention of company people, which sadly cannot be said of ASUS or Netgear here. I think Netgear have company-sponsored forums but I've never engaged.

I don't think Asus has any direct support for the forums here - e.g. cash on the barrel...

@thiggins can respond here perhaps...
SNBForums started as a discussion platform for SmallNetBuilder. I retired from reviewing a few years ago and have since passed the site onto a colleague who is running it mainly for ad revenue. I have no ties to that site, even though its content consists of primarily my articles.

SmallNetBuilder had advertising relationships with NETGEAR, ASUS, Linksys and other consumer networking brands. This in no way affected the way I reviewed products. In fact, there were multiple occasions where a manufacturer stopped sending product for review because they objected to my articles.

SNBForums has advertising relationships only with Amazon and Google. I am an Amazon affiliate and earn a small commission when a user clicks on an Amazon link AND ends up purchasing something AND does not return it. Google ads are served through a partner. I have no control over the ads shown, other than the ability to ask that an ad be removed.

It's a fair observation that a majority of the content here is ASUS related. That is mainly due to @RMerlin's tireless efforts with his firmware for their routers. Neither Merlin nor I are paid by ASUS.

Hope this clears any confusion.

Fast forward to today, and Asus has gone above and beyond any other manufacturer with the support it gives Eric for his firmware. And, it is still head and shoulders above any other consumer router manufacturer with regards to secure code, applets, etc.

Unless you're in the Apple ecosystem... it's almost as though Asus goes out of their way to break Macs, Iphones, and things like Bonjour, Airplay, Homekit, etc... and let's not go into their IPv6 implementations...

Synology has been, for the most part, the migration path after the end of the Airport line... for the most part, they just work out of the box without a lot of tweaks needed.

I also appreciate the work that GL-Inet has been doing...

No, my statement stands on its own.

Apple breaks apple, because.

Also, if Synology is the migration path... shows it's not the current future.

I also appreciate the work that GL-Inet has been doing...
I second you on that, matter of fact, I'm being using my Asus router as wireless AP behind a GL.iNet router for the last two years and I can be happier.

Actually, let me use the occasion to ask you guys for a recommendation of an unmanaged (no controller) wireless AP, my AC router it's asking for retirement and I just want to add an AP and call the day, thanks

Last edited:
Also, if Synology is the migration path... shows it's not the current future.

They've been fine - and the present is good enough - if I could tell the future, I wouldn't be here - I'd be buying lottery tickets

:D

And if Asus works with everything but Apple... It's not Asus.

Please get back on topic folks. Any further questions about SNBforum bias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!