What's new

forum search with keywords from subject line fails?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zjohnr

Regular Contributor
I don't want to make too much of this because, frankly, I've never met a search engine on any forum that I've been impressed with. Maybe that's just me ... :eek:

But I figured a quick post asking about it shouldn't hurt anything.

After reading a thread with the subject line "DIR-655 Firmware v. 1.30 removes 802.11B" I wanted to see if there were any other threads out there about DIR-655 Firmware. So I tried searching with the keywords "DIR-655" Firmware

The result was Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

I expected the search would at least turn up the original thread from whose subject line I took those two keywords.

What's up with this? Is it user error?

-irrational john

It's likely due to a combination of factors: hyphen handling (treats as space?) and a minimum "word" length of 4 characters. I found that "Dlink" and "D-Link" return different results, while "D-Lin" (1c + 3c) returns none at all. I don't know why a search for "DIR-655 firmware" wouldn't at least provide results for firmware.

The Google forum search isn't subject to this quirk.

Vbulletin search has numerous oddities like that. That's why I added the Google search option.

How could I focus Google search on the forums?

Is there an easy, reliable way to ensure that the Google search will target only the forums?

Perhaps just adding site:forums.smallnetbuilder.com would be enough?

Is there a way via keywords to ensure that Google searches only particular discussions, e.g. General Wireless?

-irrational john

There is a Google search option built into the Forum search.

Click the Search link up in the Forum menu bar, then use the box at the bottom of the pop-up that is titled "Search Forums with Google".