What's new

Replace failing 60m catV cable with d'link DIR655, belkin... Ap/bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Merlin supported drives lists RT-AC56U. Amazon has a cheap deal on RT-N56U which seems to be without DSL/modem stuff which I do not envisage ever needing. How can I know if Merlin will run on it OK same as the AC(56U)?
Looks like that unit might do all I need at a lots less $$/££
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004TPWRSK/?tag=smallncom-21
I assume all the nbg modes & channels radio stuff is the same? Will the range be better than DIR655?

The RT-N56U and the RT-AC56U are all past their expiry date. No RMerlin support for those devices anymore.

There is a fork of the RMerlin firmware by john9527 that may be a possible solution for the once great little RT-AC56U, but I cannot recommend them anymore. They were once underdogs that punched above their class, but today I cannot say (with john9527's firmware) how they would compare anymore.

The RT-N56U never had a good range or speed. But it was very inexpensive. :)

No coax, the fibre runs to optical splitter 1 way to internet box, other way to runs to a v+ box that pulls its own video data streams for 3 or 4 simultaneous viewing/recording HD channels. All close to the side shed I mentioned where I'd site my wifi router (if I give up on catV down the garden path).
Hope that paints a clear enough picture (I know it so it makes sense to me, but that does not mean it IS clear!)

Not clear to me (sorry). :)

Don't let your WiFi be in another building. Run a cable to bring it inside your home.

Better yet, bring the ISP back to bring the fibre the last few feet to your home too. ;)