What's new

Forward to broadcast address - possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vrapp

I want to use a tool that sends WOL signal via internet. I tried to forward UDP port 7 to the broadcast address, 192.168.1.255, but it did not work, i.e. the target computer did not wake up. It does wake up when I send WOL signal from router's UI. Is it possible to forward WOL signal from the outside?

Why don't you first connect to the network with OpenVPN?

The goal is to enable the user to connect to her desktop left at home, while she goes on vacation, in minimum clicks. I can create a script using command-line tool like WOLcmd. She will make one click to run it, that will wake up the computer at home; then another click will open remote desktop to it.

Connecting via OpenVPN to the 'home' router is as straightforward as it can get. Effectively, a single right and left click more (if you leave the OpenVPN GUI on her taskbar notification area.

I use OpenVPN myself for WOL purposes. But for many years, I used the following, and it worked just fine.

Only difference is I changed the external port (9) to something more obscure (e.g., 20999), and unlikely to be blocked by the ISP (many ISP's block some of these low-numbered ports).

I would also use the following online service to trigger the WOL, where m is the mac address, i is the domain name (or explicit public IP), and p is the external port.

Code:
https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli?m=010203040506&i=mydomain.dynet.com&s=255.255.255.255&p=20999

Drop the link on the desktop and all the user has to do is click it.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will keep it in mind, although as I understand, I need to install OpenVPN client and enable OpenVPN on the router - until now there was no need. I still wonder if it's possible to simply forward the WOL traffic, which wouldn't require either.
(edit: did not notice eibgrad's post; thanks, I will try this).

I use this:
Code:
/jffs/scripts/vpnserver1-up
ip neighbor replace 10.14.16.8 lladdr FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF dev br0 2>/dev/null
which lets me send a WOL packet to 10.14.16.8 across the tunnel which then broadcasts to the LAN. haven't used it in a while
though, no idea if it still works

I use OpenVPN myself for WOL purposes. But for many years, I used the following, and it worked just fine.

Only difference is I changed the external port (9) to something more obscure (e.g., 20999), and unlikely to be blocked by the ISP (many ISP's block some of these low-numbered ports).

I would also use the following online service to trigger the WOL, where m is the mac address, i is the domain name (or explicit public IP), and p is the external port.

Code:
https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli?m=010203040506&i=mydomain.dynet.com&s=255.255.255.255&p=20999

Drop the link on the desktop and all the user has to do is click it.
Just configured it, and it worked right away. Thanks again!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!