What's new

Found this on Intel's Website today

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmillar6

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on Intel wireless adapters
UPDATED August 28, 2013
We are sorry for the upset and inconvenience this has caused. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we have been working to create a solution for the connection issues. Intel plans to provide a 15.x software update in two to three weeks that includes corrections to improve connection stability on Windows 8* operating system.

Intel is aware of end-user reports of connection instability (connection drops, applications hang, etc.) with certain wireless adapters using 15.x software with Windows 8 operating system. Recent software releases have included corrections for several issues, but not all. Intel has identified a problem that is believed to be a major contributor to the issues and has a correction in development – this correction is planned to be available before the end of Q3.

Probably explains why non of the newer drivers work with my Intel 2230 card in our latop running Windows 8.

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on Intel wireless adapters
UPDATED August 28, 2013 <snip snip>

Probably explains why non of the newer drivers work with my Intel 2230 card in our latop running Windows 8.

Weird, I see a post on their driver site that precedes the date of that news release, but carriers a higher rev # of the driver (e.g. 16.1 instead of 15.x) that they mention.

Intel 2230 Drivers

Yeah, those drivers are junk. Our laptop connects to the router just fine, grabs an IP address and then a yellow exclamation point shows up on the wireless icon in Windows 8 saying no internet connection available. Reverting back to 15.5 revision of the drivers that came pre installed with the laptop resolves the issue. Intel wireless drivers for Windows 8 are in bad shape, at least Intel are finally admitting it.

Wait another couple weeks and you'll get those drivers along with a new shiny start button and maybe even a Microsoft Surface RT thrown in too. ;)

If the issue is not addressed soon I will just get the USB AC53 adaptor and maybe even a new shiny AC68u router along with it (if available). Already have a shiny start button, I use Start8.

If the issue is not addressed soon I will just get the USB AC53 adaptor and maybe even a new shiny AC68u router along with it (if available). Already have a shiny start button, I use Start8.

I use Start8 too. Love it. ;)

Depending on if there are laptops that have properly functioning win 8 drivers you could also swap your internal mini pci-e wifi module?

The 2230 is a 2 antenna + BT, so you'd need to find something that also is configured like that. I looked quickly on newegg and this unit had good reviews for win 8 compatability, but disclaimer I've put 90sec of research into it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106165

I use Start8 too. Love it. ;)

Depending on if there are laptops that have properly functioning win 8 drivers you could also swap your internal mini pci-e wifi module?

The 2230 is a 2 antenna + BT, so you'd need to find something that also is configured like that. I looked quickly on newegg and this unit had good reviews for win 8 compatability, but disclaimer I've put 90sec of research into it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106165

We have the Asus Q400a laptop, I opened it up to try and replace the wireless card and could not find it, its buried internally somewhere. I would have to take the whole laptop apart and I'm not prepared to do that. I'm kind of upset we paid good money for this laptop and they put such a cheap wireless card in it that's only single band. My three year old laptop has a dual band Intel 6250 card in it, Asus seem to be skimping on wireless cards they put into their laptops these days.

If you really really poke around on the web for "asus q400a {& try similar models, like the ones your user manual covers, should be 4-5 models} service {& try "repair"} manual, you might get lucky, if not on YouTube video searches and also forums dedicated to that model.

Jeez I might even have something laying around that might work for you, I'll have to look. If you can get the k/b and trackpad off you might be able to see it, if not follow the paths of the antennas?

After doing some research (and being very late for the party) I managed to find the 7260 AC+ Bluetooth Half Height Wireless Card. Its been working very well for me on both signals. Totally Eliminates the need for a USB stick or dongle.

Using the RTA66U my Asus k55vm and this card im usually managing between 650 and 866 Mbps on the 5ghz side and 300 and 450 on the 2.4Ghz side.

Intel are releasing drivers for various cards to resolve wireless issues over the next few weeks. It fixed my 2230 card, works great now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!