What's new

Frequent and extremely consistent "Request timed out"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beadm

New Around Here
I installed a new Asus Zenwifi AX. I have a switch connected to it and all devices are wired. When pinging Google I am getting a "Request times out" message exactly every 6th reply (so 5 are good and then times out, repeat). This is happening exactly the same way on multiple computers. When using a voip phone I can hear the person on the other end perfectly but I keep cutting out for them, so seems to be on upload? ISP claims all is good on their end. I cannot figure out what is causing this but I'm hoping the consistency will mean something to someone who can help?

If your Zenwifi is like other Asus routers log into its GUI, go to Network Tools - Network Analysis and perform the ping test there. Do you see the same timeout issue?

First try to remove the switch - maybe you have a loop (or switch issue)?

If your Zenwifi is like other Asus routers log into its GUI, go to Network Tools - Network Analysis and perform the ping test there. Do you see the same timeout issue?
I ran a ping test from the router GUI and all was good there. But actually when I pinged the router from cmd it failed all 4 times?

That suggests a problem on the LAN side of the router. As per post #3 I suggest that you disconnect your switch entirely and plug only a single PC directly into the router. Then perform two ping tests, one to www.google.com and another to the router's IP address (e.g. 192.168.50.1). If both of those work without issue I'd suspect your switch, how you have it connected, or your cabling.

Can you describe how you have you switch connected to the router?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!