What's new

Frequent WAN Disconnects on Asus Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i82register

Occasional Visitor
TL/DR: I got weird WAN disconnects that I can't solve.

Network topology:
I have a cable modem+router combo (Arris TG-1652) supplied by the cable company (which I hate, but as in I have no say I'm stuck with it) connected to the WAN of an AC-3100.
It is configured in bridge mode, so it acts as nothing more than a modem (that's the only way I could find to make the AC-3100 VPN usable from WAN, which I turned off for testing).

This setup works well most of the time, however from time to time - and often very frequently multiple times a day - the internet connection disconnects, and nothing but a reboot to the router or using the ChkWan script to reset the WAN, will restore the connection.

Based on log file exploration (I set up a log server on a local NAS) it looks like it happens every 90 minutes on the clock.
I have a Synology 918 actively downloading files and syncing cloud storage, and I found that it is more likely to happen when Synology is downloading torrents, but the disconnects also happened when the NAS is completely off, so I don't know for sure which device to put the blame on.

I tried changing ethernet cables, power supply, changing to Merlin firmware, upgrading to the latest beta, going back to 384.5, hard reset, following this guide (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...tly-dropping-internet-connection.49679/page-3) and nothing seems to solve it.

Following on "WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." I also explored this post (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wan_connection-isps-dhcp-did-not-function-properly.56226/page-3) but to no avail.

A 90 minutes cycle suggest this is not random, but I don't know what else to do or how to diagnose the issue.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
having the same issue the log entry only reads

WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

Nothing unusual before or after

Try doing this... configure the Asus router settings under... WAN > Internet Connection > (scroll to page toward the bottom) DHCP query frequency = Normal Mode (the default is normally Aggressive Mode).

Try doing this... configure the Asus router settings under... WAN > Internet Connection > (scroll to page toward the bottom) DHCP query frequency = Normal Mode (the default is normally Aggressive Mode).
I did this and thought it resolved it but it didn't i did reset the cable modem (Arris sb8200) and that definitely seemed to help. but it has still occurred a couple times since but definitely better.

I decided to complete redo my home network so yesterday I moved everything into my office closet, moved the switch from my stereo cabinet into my office closet and replaced the stereo cabinet with a tplink managed 8 port and replaced an old netgear switch in the bedroom with the same 8 port tplink. So far i have to say that everything seems way better both internal network and the internet. The cable i chose was DbillionDa cat8 cable(https://www.amazon.com/stores/+DbillionDa/page/1F0C2AE1-D45E-4027-B76B-F326456D1AA2?ref_=ast_bln) which i am so far very happy with.

next i need to learn how to create a seperate vlan either on my switch or on the router for my iot devices that would be awesome. I don't honestly know much about network segmentation and vlans... :/ tbd...

Attachments

• IMG_3365.jpeg
    IMG_3365.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 276
I did this and thought it resolved it but it didn't i did reset the cable modem (Arris sb8200) and that definitely seemed to help. but it has still occurred a couple times since but definitely better.

I decided to complete redo my home network so yesterday I moved everything into my office closet, moved the switch from my stereo cabinet into my office closet and replaced the stereo cabinet with a tplink managed 8 port and replaced an old netgear switch in the bedroom with the same 8 port tplink. So far i have to say that everything seems way better both internal network and the internet. The cable i chose was DbillionDa cat8 cable(https://www.amazon.com/stores/+DbillionDa/page/1F0C2AE1-D45E-4027-B76B-F326456D1AA2?ref_=ast_bln) which i am so far very happy with.

next i need to learn how to create a seperate vlan either on my switch or on the router for my iot devices that would be awesome. I don't honestly know much about network segmentation and vlans... :/ tbd...
It sounds great! Improvement is a good thing. When you change the router settings just always remember to then click APPLY button near the bottom of the configuration screen (It seems simple but I still forget to do that sometimes and then wonder why nothing changed).

It looks like you are using a good brand of cable. I also like using CAT 8 cable where I can on my home network. I don't have to wonder whether I am maximizing network performance and it future proofs those Ethernet connections.

It looks like you have a nice setup with your equipment shelves. I don't use VLANs myself but yes you can segment and separate your network devices with them. I use a different approach using multiple routers in series. I like to have the Wifi LAN and the general media devices, game consoles, etc.. on their own router (single NAT) and my work and other devices on another router. It isn't theoretically the most efficient layout since the second router creates a "double NAT" but I like being able to shut down or reboot one of the routers and it's associated LAN without effecting the function of the other.

If you need advice setting up a VLAN or help with any other method don't hesitate to ask or post a new thread topic in this forum asking for some advice or helpful links that will simplify how to configure it with your Asus router.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!