What's new

FTP over TLS or SSL setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jappish84

Regular Contributor
Ok, so I found an old thread here https://www.snbforums.com/threads/merlin-firmware-anyway-to-encrypt-ftp.21317/ that pretty much covers my question.

Basically, I would like to find a way to secure the FTP server on Merlin FW. I'm using RT-AC3200.

@redhat27 you mentioned SCP could be an alternative, but if I understood that correctly that would be like SFTP where adding users with different read/write permissions would require me to add users to the router using SSH, right?

I have a few friends and family that are accessing my FTP server, I don't want them to have access to anything else.

@RMerlin you mentioned TLS support was added with 376.49? Is there some documentation or guide on how to set it up?

Thanks

@RMerlin you mentioned TLS support was added with 376.49? Is there some documentation or guide on how to set it up?

It's all on the forums, unless someone added a Wiki article about it - I didn't look.

@redhat27 you mentioned SCP could be an alternative, but if I understood that correctly that would be like SFTP where adding users with different read/write permissions would require me to add users to the router using SSH, right?
For scp, you can use any user that is already existing on your router. There is no need to create additional users. For a user with low privileges, use user nobody or set up a suitable user with low privilege

EDIT: I think using nobody will not work. Also, have not setup new users myself. But you can take a look here.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!