What's new

FTP server setup help?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ischemia24

New Around Here
I hope this is the correct forum to ask for help with this. I am trying to set up a FileZilla FTP server using explicit encryption, and I think I have everything configured correctly, but there seems to be an issue with passive mode. The initial directory listing will not download.

This is on a new server running Server 2019, and I have an ASUS RT-AX88U. I have ports 50000 through 50500 forwarded to my server IP and I'm using port 50000 to connect, it's set to listen for implicit FTP over TLS on port 50001, while 50002 through 50500 are for passive mode. I have my (static) external IP address specified in the passive mode settings with the port range I mentioned specified. I'm not finding anything online that tells me I have something configured wrong. What am I missing here?

I figured it out, and I am updating this post in case it helps anyone in the future. The issue was that I had specified the port forwarding using a comma rather than a colon in the router. After I RTFM I saw the correct usage and that fixed the issue.

Thanks for returning and admitting to your issue (I won't call it am "mistake") :). This may help someone else in a similar situation. Very easy to get ":", ";", ",", "." or other characters mixed around. Best to copy & paste whenever you can.

I hope this is the correct forum to ask for help with this. I am trying to set up a FileZilla FTP server using explicit encryption, and I think I have everything configured correctly, but there seems to be an issue with passive mode. The initial directory listing will not download.

This is on a new server running Server 2019, and I have an ASUS RT-AX88U. I have ports 50000 through 50500 forwarded to my server IP and I'm using port 50000 to connect, it's set to listen for implicit FTP over TLS on port 50001, while 50002 through 50500 are for passive mode. I have my (static) external IP address specified in the passive mode settings with the port range I mentioned specified. I'm not finding anything online that tells me I have something configured wrong. What am I missing here?

Just a hint - might consider sftp vs. ftp on the host - that way you can take advantage of OpenSSH capabilities - Filezilla and WinSCP both will work with this config.

With VSFTP - to get a working PASV connection, you need to configure the daemon and the port forwards correctly...

pasv_enable=Yes
pasv_max_port=10100
pasv_min_port=10090

and then enable iptables via the following rule

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --destination-port 10090:10100 -j ACCEPT