What's new

FW_RT_N66U_B1_3003144 Released!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Actually, getting it out to us beta testers early, they INCREASED their testing time. :)

Except it's a final, not beta, release *oops*.

After a while devices not showing in client status anymore.

I have 9 devices connected. When I do a refresh of Client Status the main circle Icon spins for about a minute and only 3 clients are displayed. Then it takes up to 3-4 minutes for the other 6 to display. No more spinning circles for each device.

One nice thing - I now have the device name associated with 8 of the 9 connected clients. Only an old Nokia phone is without a name and shows the MAC address. It took about 20 minutes for the device client names to show up the first time. I did erase the old nvram settings after installing .144.

So far, that is all I have noticed.

Last edited:
.144 not available anymore

Seems ASUS have taken the .144 off their site.

Just received a new n66u today (the first one died) - it came with the .112 loaded and "says" there is a new version available - does something for 3 mins abd then reboot with .112 still on the system.

Checked the FTP directly and could not see the .144

I cannot register DDNS using Asus' free service. I get "Unauthorized registration request!" I noticed that there is not a button for an inquiry either. Any insight on this issue? I also notices that when VPN is enabled it outputs a lot of "buggy" messages.

Dmesg:
Jun 19 06:07:18 asusddns_reg: clear ddns cache file for server setting change
Jun 19 06:07:18 ddns update: connected to ns1.asuscomm.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
Jun 19 06:07:25 syslog: ddns_return_code (register,401) ddns_suggest_name () ddns_old_name ()

1. I am curious if anyone has compared wifi performance (preferably throughput, if not at least comparative signal strength) before the update to the performance after the update.

I will run some tests before upgrading and then test if afterwards.

I can't speak for the 2.4GHz band, but on 5GHz I lost about 70Mbps in wireless throughput performance. Doesn't matter much since the firmware's been pulled but reverting back to .112 instantly restored the speed I was getting accustomed to.

Performance issue on .144

I see the same low performance on .144 compared to .112

My broadband is a 100Mbps and i get max 40Mbps on the 5GHz radio in a relatively clean RF environment with .144 (settings are 802.11n only at fixed 40MHz)

I could easily max it at 100Mbps with the .112 - using a 3stream Killer NIC.

Apart from that my Sonos does not bring down the GUI anymore - so that is a improvement.

Thanks got_milk and harvad!
I was busy at the office (left late) and then had to do some work in my yard, after which I settled down to unwind and decided to hold off on the firmware update since I wanted to take some measurements.

You might want to forward your .144 performance-related comments to Asus Support (can just copy and paste what you provided here).
I am not sure why they pulled it, but feedback on performance may prompt them to investigate that aspect of the latest firmware (if they are not already aware of .144 not performing as well as .112 in some respects.

I am still on 108 actually (did not notice .112 when it first came out. When I did I read the change log and decided that since 108 was working fine and the changes in .112 were not things I need at this time I might hold off a bit).
Not sure if anyone compared 108 to 112. I might try that tonight now that 144 has been pulled.

You might want to forward your .144 performance-related comments to Asus Support (can just copy and paste what you provided here).

Sure, I'd love to do that. I've had this router for exactly a week though so I'm not sure what I'd do to contact them (I haven't worked out the ins and outs yet). Is there a direct contact or should I just drop an email in via their support page?

Last edited:
I cannot register DDNS using Asus' free service. I get "Unauthorized registration request!" I noticed that there is not a button for an inquiry either. Any insight on this issue? I also notices that when VPN is enabled it outputs a lot of "buggy" messages.

Dmesg:
Jun 19 06:07:18 asusddns_reg: clear ddns cache file for server setting change
Jun 19 06:07:18 ddns update: connected to ns1.asuscomm.com (103.10.4.108) on port 80.
Jun 19 06:07:25 syslog: ddns_return_code (register,401) ddns_suggest_name () ddns_old_name ()

It might mean that address is taken, but on the build before .144, I couldn't even contact the server. I did wipe NVRAM right before I upgraded to .144. That might have done the trick when I set up the asuscomm.com ddns on .144.

Sure, I'd love to do that. I've had this router for exactly a week though so I'm not sure what I'd do to contact them (I haven't worked out the ins and outs yet). Is there a direct contact or should I just drop an email in via their support page?

I just used their e-mail address, via their support page or directly, the one time I had a question (about the transmit [TX] power safe level) and they provided a response.

It might mean that address is taken, but on the build before .144, I couldn't even contact the server. I did wipe NVRAM right before I upgraded to .144. That might have done the trick when I set up the asuscomm.com ddns on .144.

I just got the router! Tried .144 on top of that, and so, due to its "crappy everything" I installed Shibby. I am not looking back. I do not think it was taken, the name. I tried all kinds of names that should have not been taken and could not have been registered.

The only thing I do wish is for Shibby to integrate the free Asus DDNS in the the firmware. rather than that it is all most perfect. I do not have any slow downs either that some have reported.

Has anyone heard why they pulled this firmware? Is it because they for got to implement the 64k nvram? It seems to be working great for me. I don't use WPS, parental control, or VPN. The thing I want most out of this router is QOS and fast packet forwarding.

so far

I have to say so far this is rock solid. My network speed has increased. I stream Full HD Blue Ray movies and before I was streaming at around 36-39 kbps. With the .144 I am getting 50-55 kbps with no spikes, just a solid stream.

Speed test yield a solid 11.5 d/ over a 3 min test, again no fluxuations as in all previous firmware. (I pay for 11 down)

All in all my opinion is its better than .108 (the one have have stuck with)

I do not use QOS, can someone verify if this is working or not?

CC