What's new

G.Fast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Weggy

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I hope this is the right place for this. I recently upgraded to BTs ultrafast service of 100Mb+.

However my previous setup of a Huawei HG612 + Asus RT-AC5300 doesn't appear to function anymore, More specifically the HG612 modem does NOT support G.fast.

So what I need to do is purchase a G.fast modem like the Huawei MT992 so I can get my router back in action and ditch this Ultrafast BT Home Hub I'm currently using. Could anyone help me with what modem to get? I don't want to splash out much on a modem, so basic function would be a winner. However, from looking at the market (in the U.K.) there doesn't appear to be any G.fast modems available to purchase. I've even attempted to purchase one from alibaba, but even they have no stock of any G.fast modems. Does anyone have any idea where I could get one?

Many Thanks

Your ISP should have provided the mode/router for you to install, that is the requirement from BT/OpenReach for self installation on GFast lines.

Is it GFast or FTTP/h that you are on?

Right now there are no GFAST modems available in the UK other than the BT supplied unit.

There will be NOTHING cheap that is certain, the price tag will be upwards of £130 .

You can buy a modem router like the FritzBox 7530 which is type approved and works on GFast and there is also an ASUS combined unit I saw the other day on Amazon, a search should find it..

BT provided me with a Ultrafast BT Home Hub and not a seperate modem. I contacted them asking for a seperate modem, but they were not responsive to this. Which is why I'm stuck trying to hunt down an infamous G.fast modem. :(

Same issue here, none of those references can be bought. I'm aware of the Asus router, but I already have a router, I just require a modem. I could purchase that but I don't even know if the Asus DSL-AC688U would effectively be able to act as a modem only, with my Asus RT-AC5300 acting as a router.
I have the older bt home hub 5a which can be set to bridge mode. If you could do that with your home hub you can just use it as a modem only.

I have the older bt home hub 5a which can be set to bridge mode. If you could do that with your home hub you can just use it as a modem only.
I looked into this method, but it seems that you can only do that with the business version of the HUBs. Is that what yours is? Or have I missed something?

nope, its the normal version. Just go into the router's administration and check first.
Im in the advanced section now and I'm either being blind or it isn't there :(

According to the BT website it is uner "Routing" within "Broadband", but I do NOT have the "Routing" tab:

Info (https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app...le-bridge-mode-on-my-bt-business-hub?/c/5098/):
  1. Click Advanced Settings and then click Continue to Advanced Settings
  2. Choose the Broadband tab, then click on the Routing tab
  3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to Bridging
  4. Tick Yes next to Bridging

Im in the advanced section now and I'm either being blind or it isn't there :(

According to the BT website it is uner "Routing" within "Broadband", but I do NOT have the "Routing" tab:

Info (https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35226/~/how-do-i-enable-bridge-mode-on-my-bt-business-hub?/c/5098/):
  1. Click Advanced Settings and then click Continue to Advanced Settings
  2. Choose the Broadband tab, then click on the Routing tab
  3. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to Bridging
  4. Tick Yes next to Bridging
Not necessarily there as BT's help pages tend to be outdated, search around and if you cant find it it means that you cant bridge, however if the hardware for the business and home versions are the same, then you could try installing the firmware or see if its compatible with openwrt.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!