What's new

General Asus Router CPU Access Point Query

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paul Short

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone

I just want to know if a routers CPU performance affects internet experience when the router is in access point mode?

As an example, I use a Draytek Vigor 130 as my modem which is connected to my Opnsense router which obviously handles all routing tasks. The Opnsense is then connected to my Asus RT-AC88U which is in wireless access point mode which all my devices are connected to. If I were to replace the RT-AC88U which has a 1.4GHz dual core CPU, with an RT-AC86U which has a newer 1.8GHz dual core processor, would there be any noticeable change in my broadband experience through my devices?

It's just a query I had for some time now, I've owned my AC88U for a number of years and was just wondering if an upgrade would benefit me in any way, or whether there are any other devices out there that would suit being an access point better than what I use at present.

Thanks in advance

No the CPU does not have any effect in access point mode. Using an access point with a more modern WiFi chipset might bring some small improvements but they are not related to the CPU.

No the CPU does not have any effect in access point mode. Using an access point with a more modern WiFi chipset might bring some small improvements but they are not related to the CPU.
Many thanks for the reply and helping me understand this query better, much appreciated.

At least I now know that upgrading would not lead to any great benefit, if at all, and that I should stick with my RT-AC88U as my access point.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!