What's new

Get Free Internet WiFi 1,000-3,000 ft ???

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deVries

New Around Here
I live in a city with lots of free WiFi Internet access points with retail or library services nearby. Several of these hot spots are within 1,000-3,000 ft. My antenna placement could go on top of a two story roof, but there will still be trees or buildings blocking a direct line of sight.

With a high gain directional antenna would it be possible to get an internet connection with one of these hot spots? What dbi antenna gain would I need? With a Yagi or similar directional could an amp help too?

Has anyone had success in connecting reliably to lock-on and maintain these kinds of long distance signals? How would you go about doing this if it's possible to do?

Thanks! :D

No go. You need clear line of sight.
I noticed some wireless AP can emanate its signal vertically upward in an umbrella or shaped pattern above its building in height. By aiming my antenna above this distant AP it could strike by direct line of sight into this vertical zone or column of signal at approximately a perpendicular or oblique angle, but the antennas would not be in direct line of sight. Signals would be though. :D

Could this work to transmit & receive?

no.
Think of RF as light from a light bulb or flashlight (directional).
It has to illuminate your position.

At that range... you're going to the edge of what 802.11 was really intended for - it's a shared medium, and the turn-around time _could_ impact others that are attaching to that AP (suffice it to say that the owner of the AP shouldn't keep it open, but that's out of scope...)

With a high power adapter and a directional/high-gain antenna, you could probably attach to the AP - lot of it depends on what you need to punch through.. but like others said, you need to physically eyeball the location of the AP - it's line of sight at 2.4GHz...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!