What's new

Get LAN over a three pair telephone wire :

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes I can run a conduit from outside but it would look terrible and destroy the aesthetics of the exterior part of the house.

I didn't mean the outside, I meant interior walls.

I googled a few pics of how it is often done here in Sweden.

This is a mains power cable but we often do the same with phone and network cables.
image.axd

If there are more than one cable you can do like this
20091218_kabelkanaler-18_65264201.jpg

or maybe like this
bild

I didn't mean the outside, I meant interior walls.

Thank you for the effort
No I don't want to do that since it would mean running wires visible half way through the house it would look aesthetically very poor. Add a pic so you get an idea

ese3u2av.jpg

A friend used 2 pairs of cat3 that existed from phone prewire. To do 100BT for 50 ft. Or so.

IMHO I would not put my time or one cent of money into trying to get something not made for this purpose to maybe barely work. Yes only 2 pairs are needed for fast Ethernet (100Mb/s) but the standard defines a precise spec for how many twists per meter there is for each pair.

Each pair is twisted at a different rate to balance that pair to itself to minimize crosstalk between pairs.

Depending on how the phone wire is constructed and it's length there will be a distance at which so much crosstalk is introduced that you're getting an Ethernet connection, ironically, suffering from some very wifi specific problems like serious signal degradation, lag, and dropped packets.

Commercial & residential new construction & rehab work in the US has used Cat5 or minimally Cat3 for phone wiring for the last decade or so (I wired my home with Cat5e for phones which easily supports analog phone or digital VOIP in same jack (just different termination ends). So unless the wire is labeled on the outside of the jacket I would assume its old 4 conductor phone wire which isn't generally twisted (at least not for any purpose other than ease of fabrication, that I know of) and definitely not in pairs.

A few misc things in response to some other replies:
- Generally you don't want to put Cat5e in a conduit that bunches it too close to another cable or presses it tightly against a metal conduit wall. If anything, open air raceways or non metallic conduit that has 50%+ open space is preferred, and open air raceways are best.

- they make Cat5e/6 to specifically go inside HVAC ducts (google riser vs plenum cable, different states and buildings have different codes). Even POE is quite safe, voltage & amperage wise, it's quite low in the grand scheme. Those ratings have more to do with the flammability & toxic smoke inherent to different cable sheathings.

-cat5e/6 comes in both stranded & solid if you have a bending radius preference, I've always used solid for ease of punch down

Even if you can kind of make it work with that old wire, you're essentially planting minefields of unpredictability and endless headaches and money waste.

If I were you, IMHO, I'd: buy a better repeater; or get a set of power line adapters; or pay a professional to run the line you're looking for. There's no reason to Apollo 13 a situation if you aren't actually flying in outer space with an extraordinarily small set of tools and spares. ;)

I'm glad to share pics of my own cabling if you'd find it inspirational. And I'm by no means talented. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply
Already have 3 wireless repeaters a bit fed up with having to reboot them repeatedly

Will look at powerline and wire replacement after giving this a try

The telephone cable appears to be twisted pair inside

Will be getting the job done today hopefully

Thanks for the detailed reply
Already have 3 wireless repeaters a bit fed up with having to reboot them repeatedly

Will look at powerline and wire replacement after giving this a try

The telephone cable appears to be twisted pair inside

Will be getting the job done today hopefully

Because they are wound doesn't mean it's "twisted pair." The difference is more than cosmetic. As I said, in true TP the pairs are twisted differently to give it it's properties of crosstalk cancellation which is a key to how it works.

You could probably distribute electrical power in your home via 75 ohm coax as well, but there's a reason it's not done (lots of them actually).

I'm going to go check in on my car forum and tell them I'm changing my oil with Wesson vegetable oil and filling my engine up with liquid butane. Hey, it all comes from the same stuff. What do those guys know anyway?! ;)

Thank you for the effort
No I don't want to do that since it would mean running wires visible half way through the house it would look aesthetically very poor. Add a pic so you get an idea

Well, I worked with installing PBXes and alarm systems 20 years ago so my oponion is that there are almost always ways to run your cables so you won't notice them.

Or well, YOU will notice because you know they are there, but any visitors will not:)

Brought in a professional installer who says he can replace half locations with cat 6 cabling as he was able to open all the boxes and check. So will drop the idea of Ethernet over telephone and instead replace the cable as suggested.

I have some doubts I wanted the replaced LAN to be gigabit so I understand that the LAN can be cat6 to be future proof. So as long as the connectors and all switches / routers are gigabit I can expect gigabit speeds correct. The LAN should be as fast as the slowest component on it.

Also certain locations are exactly halfway meaning if x is the point where all wires originate and I need two ports A and B , point b is 5 meters away from point a is it better to run two separate cables from x to A and B or put a switch at point a and run a wire to point b from there, will it lead to speed degradation. I plan to stream 1080p 5 gb rips from a nas.

I also plan to add maybe two or three 720p IP cameras on the same wired network.

Is there any particular good quality of cat6 as most specifications seems the same however cost seems to vary a lot for a 100 meter spool
Most cables appear to be 23 or 24 awg and unshielded is this correct specs for cat 6

Unrelated DVRs are not meant for ip cameras correct , I need to setup a samba server to record from an ip camera to it ?

Last edited:
Also certain locations are exactly halfway meaning if x is the point where all wires originate and I need two ports A and B , point b is 5 meters away from point a is it better to run two separate cables from x to A and B or put a switch at point a and run a wire to point b from there, will it lead to speed degradation. I plan to stream 1080p 5 gb rips from a nas.

I also plan to add maybe two or three 720p IP cameras on the same wired network.

Is there any particular good quality of cat6 as most specifications seems the same however cost seems to vary a lot for a 100 meter spool
Most cables appear to be 23 or 24 awg and unshielded is this correct specs for cat 6

Unrelated DVRs are not meant for ip cameras correct , I need to setup a samba server to record from an ip camera to it ?

1) Better to run separate cables for each point back to the main distribution point. A daisy chain would share the main link's bandwidth (when both are in use) although it's more than sufficient for 1080P compressed videos. Also, if the first link fails, all the subsequent points would go down along with it.

2) I prefer 3M, AMP (Tyco Electronics) and Belden for their build quality. I am not sure what other options you have over there in India but I remember that Leviton has an office there so you can check with them. You might want to get a 1000ft (305M) reel - I doubt 100M reel is sufficient for the entire project.

3) Effectively, yes. You need a NAS or SMB fileshare to record to. However, not all IP cameras support recording to SMB file shares. Most will only support FTP transfers for motion events.
There are certain IP cameras that are ONVIF compatible. Those can be coupled with hybrid networked DVRs for recording and almost always support SMB fileshares for recording.

AMP vs D Link which is a better brand of cat6
I understand d link is famous for networking hardware is it safe to buy cat cables too.
Thanks for the responses

Also for just 8 LAN cables is it of any use to install a patch panel or just crimp a rj45 jack and connect to switch directly.

I have a choice of buying an 8 port un managed switch in between tp link , net gear and d link .
would the deciding factors be only cost and warranty ?

Last edited:
Get the AMP if you can afford it. I've no experience with Dlink cables but they would OEM it anyway. I find it better to take cables from actual manufacturers.

Since you're bringing in a professional installer, get wall sockets installed on both ends. Use the AMP or Krone angled 45' faceplates with dual 110 type receptacles.
Using direct cables runs the risk that the cable will break internally after repeated insertion/ removal.
Using wall sockets or patch panel would be better since you can always replace a patchcord if it breaks.

Between those 3 brands for a small unmanaged switch, I'd consider warranty first then cost. There would be little differences for such unmanaged units.
Remember that warranty isn't just about length. Consider who is providing the after sales replacement. In Asian countries, most warranties are handled by local distributors so you're at their mercy. A long warranty period does nothing if the distributor takes months to process and handle your RMA.

Since the cable I am wiring now is cat6
Is there a different way to punch down the wire it if I want a 10 gb speed or 1 gb is what is possible

Ok most of the existing hardware is 1 gigabit so
It will work still I guess ?
Distance is all less than 15-20 meters