What's new

Get LAN over a three pair telephone wire :

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Abishek22

Occasional Visitor
u6egu3ep.jpg

Yes I understand people are already cringing after reading that, I already read up a lot on the topic. Unfortunately my house has been built up and no CAT 5/6 cabling was put into the rooms and in completely out of question to draw the cat cable now.the other option I have is to use a wifi repeater but even the best linksys keeps hanging requiring frequent reboots. The only option I see is to use my existing telephone cable which contains 3 pairs orange blue and green. As I understand the tele cable is un shielded inside and is not a cat 5 class cable, not sure about how the twisted pairs are inside.

I believe I have three options to wire this
10 base T using two pairs
100 base TX using two pairs
100 base T4 using 4 pairs if I leave one pair empty

I understand even these standards are made to work on twisted pairs not telephone cable and even if I do get it to work high chances of cross talk leading to errors over time

Which among the three should I try 10 base T first or 100 TX , my download speeds don't exceed 8mbps but I would like to use this to connect An ip camera.

Distance is approx 15-25 meters

Suggestions welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
You likely have no twisted pairs if it is telephone cable.

You might be able to do 10 or 100 Mbps over such a short distance only if the wiring is homerun, i.e. uninterrupted or tapped cable from jack to central point. Only way to know is to try.

Why not try powerline?

Wanted to give this a try before moving on to powerline considering how expensive it is for just two adapters I need to connect almost 3-4 rooms

Should I try 2 pair or 4 pair (leaving one pair missing ) first

Should I try 2 pair or 4 pair (leaving one pair missing ) first
Three pair provides no advantage over two.

Powerline isn't that expensive now. Only around $40 for a pair of 200 Mbps adapters.

Hmm,
How come you can't run CAT cables in your home? If there is a will, there is a way. With some ingenuity and patience it can be done. I often see them installing built-in vacuum system in a existing houses. They can run pipes and wires, comparing to it running CAT cables is nothing, IMO.

If you are not sure if you can DIY, call in cable guys, they will find a way to do it. Using phone wire for LAN service... If you compare specs. on two different type cable material you'll understand the differences. Performance result is unknown. It may even produce weird symptom.

When I had PV solar array installed on my roof, inverter was mounted near the array on the roof, from inverter, 240V AC carrying cable went into attic, from there we had to guide the cable thru 2 story long conduit(by code) down to basement where AC main panel is located, installing conduit in the outer wall cavity was not that difficult after all, long shaft hole cutting drill bit and careful measurement was all that needed. See as an example, it can be done if you want to run CAT cables in your house.

Last edited:
Hmm,
How come you can't run CAT cables

Hi I live in India , the construction materials used for building houses are different from how houses are built in Europe and NA , walls are made purely out of concrete : brick : mortar as opposed to wooden walls. If I have to run a cable it means wall has to be cut conduit put inside concealed replastered with cement and repainted at quite an expense.

Hi,
I see, for myself being a no-quitter, DIY'er for an effort on what your are contemplating for unknown result, I'd try to run the cables and be done with it. Over here we trade/barter services between people. I am really no good at finishing carpentry I barter my service with finishing carpenter often. Considered running cable tracks on the wall surface?, you may have to drill some holes on the wall to pass the cable. With proper tool drilling small hole in brick or concrete wall is not that hard. You can even rent a proper tool for one time use. Cable tracks, channels, raceways come in many different shape and forms. No matter what, good luck to your endeavor.

Hi,
. No matter what, good luck to your endeavor.
Thanks

carpentry won't help here
Pristine white walls all require a repainting if I attempt it , probably when the house is repainted again will do it. But for now will go with telephone wire and see how it works out:

Phone cables here in Sweden have been available in two styles: Pairs and 4-twist.

If you have white-blue, white-orange and white-green it is most likely twisted pairs. The twisting might not be the same as in CAT5 but I think you should be able to use two pairs for 100BaseT if your cables are not extremely long.

In our house I use a 20 pair phone cable from the basement to the attic (it was installed for phone use so when first extending the network 10 year ago I started using it for ethernet instead) and for 100BaseT it works like a charm. But then total cable length is not more than 30 meters (worst case, basement, to attic and back to other corner of basement).

But why would you have to run network cables inside the walls? Most of our cables are not inside walls but run in conduits on outside of the walls.

Phone cables here in Sweden have been available in two styles: Pairs and 4-twist.

If you have white-blue, white-orange and white-green it is most likely twisted pairs. The twisting might not be the same as in CAT5 but I think you should be able to use two pairs for 100BaseT if your cables are not extremely long.

In our house I use a 20 pair phone cable from the basement to the attic (it was installed for phone use so when first extending the network 10 year ago I started using it for ethernet instead) and for 100BaseT it works like a charm. But then total cable length is not more than 30 meters (worst case, basement, to attic and back to other corner of basement).

But why would you have to run network cables inside the walls? Most of our cables are not inside walls but run in conduits on outside of the walls.

It's a three pair orange green blue combo, will try it out and post results.

Conduits are recessed into the wall that's the style of construction used in most buildings in India. Yes I can run a conduit from outside but it would look terrible and destroy the aesthetics of the exterior part of the house.

Once done is there an application to test the quality of the LAN

Once done is there an application to test the quality of the LAN?
Just time some large file transfers.

BTW, please remove the link in the Tapatalk signature. Commercial links are not allowed.

Can I get a figure of what to expect for 100 Mbps and 10 Mbps
There is no way of knowing.
What you should do is run the measurement with normal Ethernet cabling and then with the other cabling.

Hi,
I know there is flat ribbon type CAT cables for such use. Phone wires are single strand twisted pair vs. CAT type is multi-strand wires. Single strand maybe easy to break if not
handled with care(no nicks) when stripping or punching. I wonder if skin effect(Litz wire)
is applicable in this case)

Conduits are recessed into the wall that's the style of construction used in most buildings in India.

Did your contractor use pipes or rectangular raceways?
If it is the former and the pipe is at least 15mm diameter, you should be able to replace the telephone cables with Cat 5E using fishing tapes and lots of cable lubricant.

Alternatively, if you have a false ceiling with access panels, you can pop the panel and look above the telephone point(s). That should give a clue as to how feasible the replacement procedure is.

Hi,
Another possibility is HVAC air ducts if there are. My local code does not allow running any cables inside the duct work. But maybe they do.

Thanks for the suggestions HVAC no don't have it, no false ceilings, getting a professional guy to come and do the crimping, he will look into feasibility of replacing the wire too as wiring is what he does . But I believe the pipe is no narrow and contains to many turns to be able to pull it out and replace it.