What's new

Getting Acronis TruImage Home 2012 to work with DSM

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
I finally got a PC w/Windows 7 Home and Acronis TruImage Home 2012 to work with DSM4 on my Synology DS212. Older versions of TruImage didn't have issues. Lots of Acronis users with NASes of all types were complaining back in late 2011 and into part of 2012.

I downloaded the May 2012 update to True Image. Installed in my Win 7 PC.

I tried to run my normal/usual partition backup to the NAS, as I had done with True Image versions prior to 2012. No go.
Firstly, I was entering the wrong username/password to True Image trying to authenticate to a user account on the NAS. I fixed that. That user has R/W access to the share I'm trying to write to.
I tried using a mapped driver letter. No go... after entering password, there's a 2 minute delay then True Image says "cannot create file".

I tried using a UNC path. No go, same error as above.
One thing I did which may be irrelevant: I entered the NAS user login credentials into True Image for the specific backup task.

I tried this and that, and finally, the UNC path method started working. 34MB/s without requesting an encrypted backup. Then I ran a "verify".. 43MB/sec. Note, there were NAS-internal backups running concurrently, drive-to-drive.

I dunno.

Last edited:
Greetings stevech,

Thank you for posting your issue regarding Acronis and its products.

I am writing to you on behalf of Acronis Customer Central, my name is Volkan, and I will be glad to be of assistance.

Just to confirm, you mentioned that the backup tasks created in Acronis True Image Home 2012 that are configured to create backup archives in a Synology DS212 NAS device do not perform successfully. Despite taking several precautions to see if your backup tasks would be carried out as expected, you were still not able to create the desired backups to your NAS unit. At present, you are, however, able to create backups successfully without knowing the underlying reason for the sudden change in the outcome of your backup operations.

For future reference and to resolve any ongoing backup issues to your NAS device, kindly follow the below general guidelines:

1. Make sure to unmount your NAS device before attempting to backup to it.

2. Specify the IP address at the UNC path, as opposed to the path name.

3. Take care to provide the user with full read/write permissions to the share.

4. Use the <username@nasname> credentials pattern when connecting to the NAS device.

Also, you may see our Knowledge Base article for further assistance with common issues in backing up to NAS devices.

If you could provide us with screenshots of the full error message and the steps you take during your backup task creation, we may able to provide you with a specific solution to prevent future issues with your NAS model. At present, we do not seem to have any known issues with Synology NAS devices, and our Testers are continuing to test different NAS models to make our products compatible with an array of models.

Should issues persist, please kindly send me your product serial number as a private message and I will be happy to create a case for you and initiate the appropriate investigation into the matter to help resolve the issue.

Let me know if you have any additional questions or issues. Alternatively, you may contact Acronis Customer Central, and read our Customer's Handbook for more details on our support services.

Kind regards,

Volkan Poyraz
Acronis Customer Central

I can say with Win7 64-bit and Acronis 2012, I've been able to backup to my 1511+ without issue. Just as long as I remember to log into the box first since at the moment I've decided not to auto-log into it so that it doesn't get woken if I start up my PC.

yeah, my problem was the login/authentication works somtimes, sometimes not. No reasoning.
Windows 7 and Server 2008 login every time, running Windows system Image.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!