What's new

Getting faster internet...... any ideas.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

houghton19

Regular Contributor
So to start off, I’m in a non cable area, No FTTP planned that I know of, to far away from G.Fast. Compared to some people maybe I shouldn’t complain, but my last house I had 330 meg with virgin.

Over the last few days I have been trying 4G in a 5G router, it was great, £400 for the router and only £20 a month for unlimited data, HOWEVER, as many on here will probably know 4G runs over CGNAT so I cant do any port forwarding so that ends that idea even though my average DL was 90meg.

I already have a ASUS 5300 running merlin.
Is there any modem only that would merge 2 or more VDSL lines into one to technically double or triple my download speed?

I would obviously still need port forwarding on one of the VDSL up addresses.

thanks again.

So to start off, I’m in a non cable area, No FTTP planned that I know of, to far away from G.Fast. Compared to some people maybe I shouldn’t complain, but my last house I had 330 meg with virgin.

Over the last few days I have been trying 4G in a 5G router, it was great, £400 for the router and only £20 a month for unlimited data, HOWEVER, as many on here will probably know 4G runs over CGNAT so I cant do any port forwarding so that ends that idea even though my average DL was 90meg.

Is there any modem only that would merge 2 or more VDSL lines into one to technically double or triple my download speed?

thanks again.

Not with consumer grade router or modem, you will need modem which support MLPPP for more than three connection or pair bonding if two and isp which support it.

I will check with ISP first and if they do they should also provide equipment.

What about adding a static IP to your 4G service? Most ISPs off them for business lines, and some do for consumer, as well. Worth looking into at least.

Beyond that, how much and what kind of traffic are looking to port forward locally?

Not to get too technical here, but depending on what your intended use is, even without a unique public IP from your ISP, if you had a router that supported OpenVPN, or even better, WireGuard, you could setup a peer-to-peer tunnel to a hosted "virtual router" on a cheap public cloud like Vultr or Digital Ocean (a VM with an install of pfSense or OpenWRT, for example), then port-forward from the virtual router to your device at home that's connected over the tunnel. Sounds complicated but it's not super hard, skill and patience depending of course. Just a thought.

What about adding a static IP to your 4G service? Most ISPs off them for business lines, and some do for consumer, as well. Worth looking into at least.

Beyond that, how much and what kind of traffic are looking to port forward locally?

Not to get too technical here, but depending on what your intended use is, even without a unique public IP from your ISP, if you had a router that supported OpenVPN, or even better, WireGuard, you could setup a peer-to-peer tunnel to a hosted "virtual router" on a cheap public cloud like Vultr or Digital Ocean (a VM with an install of pfSense or OpenWRT, for example), then port-forward from the virtual router to your device at home that's connected over the tunnel. Sounds complicated but it's not super hard, skill and patience depending of course. Just a thought.

Basically when im out and about i log into my pc to play football manager (sometimes at work im not busy), plex and i use 3rd party apps to set off downloads via my mobile and sabnzb. i have managed to use google remote desktop instead of RealVNC.

I had looked into it and read you could use L2TP, but wouldnt i then loose all the speed i have since gained by swapping to 4g from vdsl?

No, you wouldn't lose all speed you've gained, provided the router you're using has a powerful-enough CPU to drive that VPN traffic at whatever throughput your desire, or hardware offload for L2TP/IPSEC.

If the ISP router isn't powerful enough, then I'd put it into bridge/pass-through mode to turn it into just a modem (if it offers that), and pair it with my own router that is powerful enough. That, or use a USB modem or SIM card from the ISP with a 4G-WAN capable router of however much power you need -- if you have the budget, a CradlePoint or Peplink, otherwise pfSense or Mikrotik if you're skilled enough.

I currently have an asus 5300, I got a Huawei 5G CPE Pro on a contract to test it. It doesn’t offer a bridge mode and if fairly basic. If I wasn’t going to loose speed and it’s something that is doable, I could look into the Asus 4g-ac68u and keep the ASUS 5300 and turn it into a ASUS mesh system.

How much speed, download and upload in Mb/s, are you getting from the Huawei 5G CPE Pro when hardwired into it with a PC? I would go to dslreports.com/speedtest, select the "More..." button then "4G" as your connection type, start and complete the test, then report back your numbers.

That Asus, being a 4G device, may be able to achieve similar throughput if the network hasn't fully differentiated to 5G yet, and depending on how much throughput that is, may also be able to max it out over VPN.... or not. Depends on your answer to the speed question.

I’ll be honest I’m sending the 5G CPE back as it didn’t have bridge mode so sorta not what I’m looking for. I do have a TPLink 6400 I think it is but I get poor speeds with that, 30/40 meg.

with the 5G CPE I was getting between 130/160meg.

I think the difference is the size and probably a poor antenna in the 6400. That’s why I wanted to try the CPE. My thinking was maybe the ASUA would have better antenna for a better speed.

My 6400 is actually setup connected to the 5300 as fall over at the moment but as I say not a great speed. I could maybe test and play about with that though.

thanks again.
Not with consumer grade router or modem, you will need modem which support MLPPP for more than three connection or pair bonding if two and isp which support it.

I will check with ISP first and if they do they should also provide equipment.
There actually is a consumer grade modem that does this, it was pretty famous for its rock solid reliability but i forgot the brand name of it. Its not cheap by any means in comparison.
virgin media has terrible uploads. If more people upload and do p2p and started having their own services in house like their own NAS it would reduce contention in the backbones.

While you can combine lines configurable routers can do even more but combining lines the way you like is difficult with that. There is another brand that can do this well thats user friendly but they lack a multi VDSL model.

Another options is to just use multiple modems and connect it to a router with many WAN ports that can load balance.

There actually is a consumer grade modem that does this, it was pretty famous for its rock solid reliability but i forgot the brand name of it. Its not cheap by any means in comparison.
virgin media has terrible uploads. If more people upload and do p2p and started having their own services in house like their own NAS it would reduce contention in the backbones.

While you can combine lines configurable routers can do even more but combining lines the way you like is difficult with that. There is another brand that can do this well thats user friendly but they lack a multi VDSL model.

Another options is to just use multiple modems and connect it to a router with many WAN ports that can load balance.

so with load balancing, would that mean if I set a download off it would still only max one connection out, however would leave the second connection free for streaming on the shield and the kids iPads?

@houghton19 - If you end up going with multiple connections, wired or wireless, you might consider a generic channel bonding service like Speedify. They have client apps which can be used on devices directly, as well as router distro / Windows support, to run it at the router level, which is more what you're looking for, I think.

So if I was to download a NZB file for instance would that then give me 50+50 (approx) to make 100 or would it literally just max one connection and leave the other free.
it can use both, however there are some that do bond or can load balance properly.

The best routers for load balancing/bonding arent consumer though.