What's new

internet blockage problems after port forwarding on asus gt routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joe golladay

New Around Here
hi all. new to the forums posting but been reading a lot over the past few years.
ive looked all over the forums on anything remotely close to my problems ive been having over the last few weeks. so here goes and ill try and explain everything in detail as best as possible.

I had a asus rt-ac5300 for awhile as my main router and never had much problems out of it outside of the occasional reboot to get everything back up and running on the wifi as I have smart plugs/smart light switches/google home and minis throughout the house. always updated the firmware.

I didn't have great wifi coverage in the house and had a asus rt-ac88u hardwired through the house behind the living room tv with its own wifi ssid and still had wifi coverage problems..

then I discovered aimesh and thought to myself this is the way to go.. so I purchased a asus gt-ax11000 router which I thought was the biggest baddest thing on the planet at this time.. got it hooked up and aimeshed my ac5300 wirelessly and my ac88u wired. everything was way better and nothing was dropping off . then I started doing a little tweaking on the 11000 and things started getting weird. I turned on the aiprotection, enabled gameboost, turned on portforwarding on the opennat and put in my ports for the games I play and clicked apply, checked the box on the wifi radios for xbox optimization on all three bands, enabled ipv6 and the firewall for it, turned on the wifi6, and of course I updated the firmwares on the 11000 first then the ac5300 and the ac88u.. left everything basically alone other than that.. and it all worked..

heres where it got weird...….I could always do a router reboot/let it come back up after losing power and everything would eventually connect and start working on the rt-ac5300.. after getting the ax11000 if I ever did a reboot or lost power everything would come back up and connect but my desktop and any other device whether it was wired or wireless couldn't connect to the internet, even cellphones would show connected but no internet access, although my desktop would say I was connected and had internet access.. I would run the windows troubleshooter on windows 10 and it would come back primary dns couldn't resolve or something to that effect.. so I started turning things on and off and rebooting each time that I had changed. when I got to port forwarding and turned it off my internet access started working and while in the gui I could enable it and still have access.(mind you the gui on the router said I was connected and could ping sites from it)

but after a couple of power outages and manual reboots to refresh things the port forwarding on and off wasn't fixing it. so I started having to do a factory reset/reset back up the aimesh and so forth to get internet back working again.. after about 5 times doing this (and I was doing the hold down the wps button while powering on also to do the hard reset) it got to where I had no internet access anymore.. so I thought to myself I have a bad unit.. I sent it back and purchased a gt-5300.. thought maybe wifi 6 wasn't ready for primetime yet.. got it set up and its doing the same thing only I can turn the port forwarding off and on and regain internet access at the moment.. but if I ever reboot with port forwarding turned on I lose access.

so my question is this.. what configuration do I have wrong? ask anything as I have been through the gui back and forth and although I admit I don't know what half of it is I can answer your question if I have messed with it or not..

and I do see that the gui is almost identical on both these models.. starting to think the ax11000 wasn't bad.. just bad user.. lol... while waiting for the gtac5300 to come in I hooked the rt ac5300 back up and no problems.. was just wanting the faster processor and better radios.. I just like to reboot every once in awhile to freshen things up and hate to go back change settings everytime and lord forbid we lost power and im not home at work and the wife loses access.. you get the point.. thanks for reading.. joe..

(edit) also forgot to mention that if I turn port forwarding off and reboot I never lose internet so how is port forwarding blocking access just by being on?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!