What's new

Gig service on modem but AX11000 says 500Mbs Need Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

slongmire

New Around Here
MB8611 provisioned on xfinity for 1Gbs down 40 Mbs Up. Speed tests run connected directly to modem yield 920 Mbs down 41 Mbs up.
When connected to Asus GT-AX11000 via 2.5 Gbs ports on each all I get from the QOS speed test on the router or from a pc wired to it is 500-600 Mbp down 41 Mbs up.

Router and Modem connected via CAT 8 shielded ethernet on the 2.5Gbs ports of each.

Running Merlin 381.2_4

The router is connected via LACP to TPLink SG 2424.

CPU utilization rarely exceed 5% on router.

Suggestions to improve the download speed on the router to match the modem? Thanks!

If you look at the dashboard, you will see your ethernet ports listed there (bottom right in system status section). What is the negotiated link speed that you see there for your WAN port?

Ok then your wire and L1 neg for interface handshake are working fine.

Next step is L2, all I can think of there is MTU issues causing retransmissions or something like that. Do you have another 2.5gig switchport on that router in lan port area, or another 2.5gig switch?

MB8611 provisioned on xfinity for 1Gbs down 40 Mbs Up. Speed tests run connected directly to modem yield 920 Mbs down 41 Mbs up.
When connected to Asus GT-AX11000 via 2.5 Gbs ports on each all I get from the QOS speed test on the router or from a pc wired to it is 500-600 Mbp down 41 Mbs up.

Router and Modem connected via CAT 8 shielded ethernet on the 2.5Gbs ports of each.

Running Merlin 381.2_4

The router is connected via LACP to TPLink SG 2424.

CPU utilization rarely exceed 5% on router.

Suggestions to improve the download speed on the router to match the modem? Thanks!
Perhaps maybe the performance of the routers processor needs to be considered a bottleneck. Specifically in regards to QoS. On any asus router, QoS and AI Protect have been known to create these speed test performance issues as it is created by bottleneck performance of the routers cpu and not directly related to the Lan switch performance of the router. My suggestion is make sure both QoS and AI protect are disabled, also withdraw from the Ai Protect privacy disclaimer. Then reboot the router and rerun your speed test.

Perhaps maybe the performance of the routers processor needs to be considered a bottleneck. Specifically in regards to QoS. On any asus router, QoS and AI Protect have been known to create these speed test performance issues as it is created by bottleneck performance of the routers cpu.

That would be a logical question at L3 and above layers, but this is a top of the line router. I don't suspect it to cause a bottleneck at 1gig. I push that on my ax88u.

That would be a logical question at L3 and above layers, but this is a top of the line router. I don't suspect it to cause a bottleneck at 1gig. I push that on my ax88u.
I edited my post be sure to follow up with my added test suggestions to eliminate the possibility of cpu bottleneck.

Here is the full post

expand...
Perhaps maybe the performance of the routers processor needs to be considered a bottleneck. Specifically in regards to QoS. On any asus router, QoS and AI Protect have been known to create these speed test performance issues as it is created by bottleneck performance of the routers cpu and not directly related to the Lan switch performance of the router. My suggestion is make sure both QoS and AI protect are disabled, also withdraw from the Ai Protect privacy disclaimer. Then reboot the router and rerun your speed test.

Here is the full post

Agreed, I have seen many firewalls drop to 1/4th the advertised capacity when you enable Deep packet inspection and IPS. Let see if he can check both of our suggestions.

When you have the qos and ai protect enabled you are losing out on some of the actual hardware acceleration of the router that allows you to achieve those higher gig speeds. This is partly cause by bottleneck created by the routers cpu.

When you have the qos and ai protect enabled you are losing out on some of the actual hardware acceleration of the router that allows you to achieve those higher gig speeds. This is partly cause by bottleneck created by the routers cpu.

Correct, because ASUS doesn't have an ASIC to do these in hardware, so they are relegated to software processing which loads the CPU.

It's the QoS that limits your transfer rate. I have an AX88U and can't get it to go over 400Mbp when QoS is enabled.

It's the QoS that limits your transfer rate. I have an AX88U and can't get it to go over 400Mbp when QoS is enabled.
DSCP or diffserv only come into picture when there is contention on the link, which in this case there isn't. But there maybe a software bug then.

Let's try disabling it then.

DSCP or diffserv only come into picture when there is contention on the link, which in this case there isn't. But there maybe a software bug then.

Let's try disabling it then.
If your talking about using cake, it has already been confirmed you won't get higher than 300-350 down due to implementation limitations( unless you have blessed fiber). As for Adaptive, the highest I have seen reported is the 600 range when tested by gig speed users. And AiProtect is known to cause the same issue because the router puts the cpu in the way.

If your talking about using cake, it has already been confirmed you won't get higher than 300-350 down due to implementation limitations( unless you have blessed fiber). As for Adaptive, the highest I have seen reported is the 600 range when tested by gig speed users. And AiProtect is known to cause the same issue because the router puts the cpu in the way.
I don't use TOS tagging on home network, and my QoS experience has been on enterprise equipment only. So, you could be quite right here. Let's see if OP can comment on any advanced features that he may or may not be using.

To everyone who has responded overnight - THANK YOU! FYI - I do not have QOS enabled but I do have the AI protection enabled. My plan today was to do a hard factory reset of the router (GT-AX11000, Merlin 386.2_4) and step-wise turn my config features back on to see which one is killing the speed. If it is the AI Protection, do you have any recommendation for a suitable replacement that won't hit the speed so hard?

Thanks again!

To everyone who has responded overnight - THANK YOU! FYI - I do not have QOS enabled but I do have the AI protection enabled. My plan today was to do a hard factory reset of the router (GT-AX11000, Merlin 386.2_4) and step-wise turn my config features back on to see which one is killing the speed. If it is the AI Protection, do you have any recommendation for a suitable replacement that won't hit the speed so hard?

Thanks again!

We can certainly look into it. Let us know which feature actually helps or makes things worse, and we can go from there.

Thanks again!
I would simply disable ai protect to test to see if it is the cause. There is no reason to be too concerned if it is the cause. If that is the case no matter what protection you use, it will always create the same performance delimma because of cpu limitations.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!