What's new

GoCoax 2.5 settings to isolate from an ISP FiOS MoCa 1.1 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wereallinthistogether

New Around Here
I am trying to setup 2 GoCoax MoCa 2.5 adapters to improve LAN speeds across the house.
MoCaSchematic.png

The MI424WR is the DHCP server and gateway, but WiFi is provided by the routers as shown. The adapters are connected, with ~3500 Mbps speeds reported in the Gocoax admin PHY link status, and ~230 Mpbs to the MI424WR router with MoCa 1.1.
PHYlinkSpeeds.png

Testing the LAN speed with iperf3 shows ~240 Mbps from the distant MoCa 2.5 mode. I assume this is the router dragging down the 2.5 speeds?

Can i use the settings on the Gocoax adpaters to isolate them from the 1.1 network? Eg use Ext D frequencies, Scan Mask and Offset, etc?

Your testing methodology isn't clear to me? Your max speeds will be the slowest link between them.

Your testing methodology isn't clear to me? Your max speeds will be the slowest link between them.
Understood. My question is how do i specify the 2.5 frequencies in the Gocoax admin interface to remove the 1.1 node from this and have the 2.5s connect only to each other and maintain full 2.5 speed.

I understand the different frequencies for the various MoCa standards, but what is not obvious to me is how that translates to the Gocoax settings.

regarding the iperf test. This was from a PC connected by wire to the left most GoCOAX or through the switch on the wireless router or by wireless ?
What was the second device in the test - the NAS ?

If you were using the NAS, then the way to eliminate the network is to test by connecting the PC directly into the switch the NAS is using and seeing what you get.. i don't know off hand what the NAS bandwidth would be using IPERF.

i don't understand the right hand side connections into the wireless router - are both moca modems connecting their ethernet port to the LAN switch of the wireless router along with the NAS ?

It could be that the test routed through the ISP router to the NAS. Any connection through that would be using MOCA 1.1 of course.
The only way to separate is to physically isolate the MOCA 1.1 from the MOCA 2.5. MOCA is designed to interoperate with each device connecting to another at the slowest rated speed as the GoCOAX table shows. BTW, the two MOCA2.5 modems are synced at max rate, so there should not be an issue with the MOCA 1.1 interfering.

unless the ISP requires the MOCA 1.1 signal or you have other unshown devices that talk MOCA 1.1 to the ISP device, then block the MOCA 1.1 with a POE filter.

Last edited:
I believe you've posted this issue elsewhere, where I responded similarly ... in that the MI424-WR should have its MoCA LAN functionality disabled, unless you have some MoCA 1.1 nodes somewhere not pictured. (i.e. Such as off the 2 other undocumented ports of the main 4-way splitter.)

p.s. If not using the other 2 ports on the 4-way, consider right-sizing to a 2-way splitter. Also consider a "PoE" MoCA filter on this splitter's input, to improve MoCA efficiency/performance.

Can i use the settings on the Gocoax adpaters to isolate them from the 1.1 network? Eg use Ext D frequencies, Scan Mask and Offset, etc?
I believe the answer is "yes."

See: https://www.gocoax.com/support#:~:text=The default IP of the,default password as you want.

Does the admin GUI also allow configuring the MoCA frequency channel you want the extenders to run on?
Yes, our products can support this. Our device can support MoCA D-band low, D-band high and D-band extend three configurations. By default, we enable all of them. It will setup a 5-channels connection, from 1125MHz to 1625MHz. We know that, many MSO use D-band low 1125MHz to 1225MHz to act as MoCA WAN. You can change our device to use D-band high only, from 1350MHz to 1675MHz, can build a 3-channels connection.

The admin / config page will not load at all, page just times out.
You need to set your IP address manually to 192.168.254.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 because the adapter does not have DHCP server. Set your IP manually and the web admin page will load. The default IP of the device is 192.168.254.254. username is admin, password is gocoax. You can change the default password as you want.

Does the admin GUI also allow configuring the MoCA frequency channel you want the extenders to run on?
Yes, our products can support this. Our device can support MoCA D-band low, D-band high and D-band extend three configurations. By default, we enable all of them. It will setup a 5-channels connection, from 1125MHz to 1625MHz. We know that, many MSO use D-band low 1125MHz to 1225MHz to act as MoCA WAN. You can change our device to use D-band high only, from 1350MHz to 1675MHz, can build a 3-channels connection.
D-Low: 1125-1225MHz (1 channel) :: 700 Mbps PHY
D-High: 1350-1675MHz (3 channels) :: 2100 Mbps PHY

So this arrangement could work to allow up to a 400 Mbps MoCA WAN connection, and 1000 Mbps MoCA LAN throughput.

Right, @gocoax ?