What's new

Questions on my GoCoax 2.5 Adapter Install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MoCA adapters is another point of failure.
You wanted another point of failure? Challenge accepted!

FCA252-25GW WAN dedicated pairs.png

(for comparison)

Depends on cable and termination quality, but Cat5e can actually do up to 10 Gbps ... at shorter distances (<45m). (link) Added to the full duplex nature of Ethernet and direct connections to a GigE or better switch, CATx cabling would have far greater overall throughput relative to a shared MoCA 2.5 network, as diagrammed. Even with dedicated MoCA pairs and 2.5 GbE gear, a MoCA 2.5 link is roughly equivalent to full duplex 1.25 Gbps, with unidirectional max of 2.5 Gbps -- both of which would under-utilize the associated 2.5 GbE gear required to achieve the speeds.

Then there's the latency. MoCA will add a bit of latency relative to a direct Ethernet connection, so Ethernet would still be preferred even were throughput equivalent.

If Cat5e+ is possible, it's the way to go; MoCA's a solid fallback, but a fallback.

Worst case, if your Cat5e cables *are* limited to 1 Gbps (full duplex), they still offer superior performance to a shared MoCA network, and the cost of getting them working, tools & parts included, should be less than a single additional retail MoCA adapter. And if well terminated, as linked, you can then use some 2.5 GbE gear (or better) running iPerf3 to test each line's effective throughput max.
Good to know and certainly appreciate your input! I think for the time being, I'll keep MoCA in my current setup in the near term, but will not move forward in purchasing another adapter to put in the closet.

Instead, my plan is to convert the existing telephone jack (that is leveraging an existing CAT5e cable) in the office to an ethernet jack and terminating both ends with a keystone jack. I'd only be relocating the modem into the closet. Going off of your post #17 above, would my attached diagram work? The difference being the coax from my office from the MoCA adapter would be going to the input of the splitter instead of going out.

If I'm understanding this correctly, this would not only help with getting the best signal to the modem but reduce use of a splitter and isolate the MoCA network. I would just have to find which of the CAT5e cables goes where lol.

To your point, eventually I'll convert all of the other telephone jack/cabling to fully use the existing CAT5e cabling then add a switch in the closet to essentially make everything wired ethernet.

Attachments

• MOCA v3.PNG
    MOCA v3.PNG
    70.5 KB · Views: 55
Going off of your post #17 above,
Which includes a diagram explicitly showing how I’d recommend connecting everything, for reasons cited in the bullets at the bottom of this post (including why BAMF splitters aren’t recommended). YMMV.

edit: That said, your diagram should function. I don’t recommend BAMF splitters; I prefer a different topology; and the “PoE” MoCA filter on the isolated modem feed shouldn’t be necessary, and would need to be removed down the road to support higher DOCSIS frequencies.

Last edited:
Which includes a diagram explicitly showing how I’d recommend connecting everything, for reasons cited in the bullets at the bottom of this post (including why BAMF splitters aren’t recommended). YMMV.

edit: That said, your diagram should function. I don’t recommend BAMF splitters; I prefer a different topology; and the “PoE” MoCA filter on the isolated modem feed shouldn’t be necessary, and would need to be removed down the road to support higher DOCSIS frequencies.

Got it. I'll go with your suggestion and keep my existing 3-way Amphenol splitter then following your diagram and put the PoE MoCA filter at its input port. Is that a terminator cap on the PoE filter in your diagram?

BTW - will try to get pics of the CAT wiring in the closet and back of the wall plate in my office when I can. I already have added some things in my Amazon cart like keystones, basic punch tool, basic cable tester, and extra ethernet wall plates to have on the ready. :)

No pics needed if you feel you have a handle on it; sounds like you do.

I think I do. I'm just thinking of adding a keystone jack on each end of the CAT5e cables (one where they're currently connected to a telephone "panel" and the other end would be the ethernet jack to a wall plate for each room. The tricky part will be locating which cables going to which room since they're not labeled and I don't have a tone tracer or anything.

Guess I'll just add keystone terminators at each of the available CAT5e cables in the closet, then in the office one by one trying each to see if the cable tester comes up with a signal. We're talking like 5 cables in total so I hope it's not that bad.

and I don't have a tone tracer or anything

Aside from the above, here's a post from over on reddit highlighting the basic tasks in reworking phone lines for networking:

To identify and test each terminated line, acquire a tone tracer tool (example; see: How to Use a Tone Tester) The linked model also includes a wire continuity testing function, as well, to confirm that all 8-wires are connected and mapped straight-through. (cheaper continuity-only tester)
The cheaper $10 RJ45 tester should suffice for your needs, and plan -- though the tone tracer has the benefit of allowing line identification without first having to terminate both ends of the cable, a quick way to find just the line to the Office. (But also offers the continuity mapping function for verifying straight-through wiring.)

Of course you could get away with neither and just use a computer and Fast Ethernet switch, plus patch cables.

Guess I'll just add keystone terminators at each of the available CAT5e cables in the closet
The above link offers some alternatives:
At the central panel, pull them from the current phone block and re-terminate to a RJ45 patch panel or data module like one of the following (or alternatives):
And re-terminate the in-room jacks to RJ45, using the same wiring standard across the board (in-room and at the central junction), T568A or B.​

Honestly, you could also just use an outlet box with keystone blank faceplate to make your own little enclosed patch panel, into which you could seat the RJ45 keystones.

Before abandoning all MoCA connectivity, a quick followup as to what Option 3 could look like with the addition of a single CATx cable between the closet and current modem/router location ... after moving the modem to the closet and establishing a direct connection between it and the ISP, sans filters or splits:

View attachment 52225

But as mentioned, Option 1-3 are all moot if you get the CATx lines fully reworked for at least the 3 critical rooms.

View attachment 52246
FYI... An alternate approach to Option 3 for when you have that first CATx line between the Closet and Office working ... with probably the least change relative to current, and straying less from the longer-term path leading to all CATx LAN connectivity.
coax WAN + CATx LAN path to closet.pngcoax WAN + CATx LAN path to closet w switch.png

… and once a second CATx line to another room is ready:
coax WAN + CATx LAN path to closet sans one.png

p.s. Attached are add'l diagrams along the way between all coax and a CATx LAN, for comparison.

Attachments

• cable+MoCA typical.png
    cable+MoCA typical.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0193.png
    IMG_0193.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
This is great! Thank you!

I had a brief moment to take a look at the closet's CAT wiring and behind my office's wall plate (which right now is a coax and RJ11 phone jack combo). In the closet, there are 5 CAT wires that seem to lead to the upstairs rooms and other CAT cables that look to lead downward into my crawlspace. To me, this makes sense given that there are 5 rooms upstairs equipped with phone jacks and a handful of rooms on the first floor that have phone jacks. I'll plan to wire the upstairs in general rather than the downstairs.

On the cables themselves, there is labeling on them albeit faded but I could make out "CAT 5E". Of all of the CAT wires going upstairs and in the crawlspace, there are 2 that have a blue color jacket (the rest are all white) and they look to be regular CAT5 - not CAT5e. Each of these cables are terminated to a removable telephone block panel in the closet and for each CAT cable, I can see a blue/white wire combination terminated (see attached picture).

In my office, I removed the combo wall plate and on the backside of the telephone jack is a series of wires coming out of a CAT5e cable held down by separate screws. I forgot to take a photo of that, but was glad to see that it was a CAT5e cable and not the CAT 5 cable.

My plan is once I receive my Amazon order, I'll re-terminate those CAT5e cables with a RJ45 keystone in the closet and upstairs will replace the phone jacks to RJ45 keystones/wallplates.

Attachments

• IMG_7990.jpeg
    IMG_7990.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 42
there is labeling on them albeit faded but I could make out "CAT 5E".
Also beneficial is if you can identify any “MHz” rating within that cable jacket text.

In my office, I … was glad to see that it was a CAT5e cable and not the CAT 5 cable.
Agreed! That’s the most critical line of the bunch.

My plan is … re-terminate those CAT5e cables with a RJ45 keystone in the closet and upstairs will replace the phone jacks to RJ45 keystones/wallplates.
A keystone blank patch panel would be useful in the closet, to hold the keystones in place (protecting the terminations and wiring).

Or... given the pictured structured media cabinet, a 8-port RJ45 data module (examples) similar to the existing telephone modules might make more sense, were it not for cost.

I tried looking for a MHz rating but couldn't make anything definitive out. I attached a few pics of random numbers on the CAT5e cables, but the only other text I could see on the label was "Genesis Cable Systems" and "P/N" followed by a long number which I assume is a part number and "ETL Verified". Hope the pics are helpful...

Or... given the pictured structured media cabinet, a 8-port RJ45 data module (examples) similar to the existing telephone modules might make more sense, were it not for cost.

As part of my Amazon purchase, I ended up buying a pack of 5 "surface mounts" (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6JP6HC/?tag=snbforums-20) that I could just stick on back panel in the closet once I terminate each upstairs CAT5e cabling with a RJ45 keystone to make it cleaner looking and reduce strain on the cables. Not looking to win an award for the best looking and wire optimized data closet, but something that works lol.

Side note - am I right to assume that the CAT cables that are routed to the upstairs should lead to the telephone jacks in my upstairs rooms (including my office which is upstairs) and that the cables that look to go down into the crawlspace is meant for the first floor telephone jacks?

Attachments

• IMG_7992.jpeg
    IMG_7992.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7993.jpeg
    IMG_7993.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Side note - am I right to assume that the CAT cables that are routed to the upstairs should lead to the telephone jacks in my upstairs rooms (including my office which is upstairs) and that the cables that look to go down into the crawlspace is meant for the first floor telephone jacks?
I don't know if you're "right" or not, but it's certainly a reasonable hypothesis. The exception would be any cable running to the telephone module from the service provider box, and any cable interconnecting the two telephone modules.

Thanks, hoping my hypothesis is right!

Do the pics of the cable jacket labels help at all? The labeling is really faded but I can make out the CAT5e part on the white colored cables. The blue colored cables have CAT 5 on the jacket.

If it matters, my home was built circa 2003.

The blue colored cables have CAT 5 on the jacket.
Do your 2 other current MoCA adapter locations also have the white Cat5e cabling, like the Office? All good, then, if so, right?

And, no, I couldn't see any MHz info from the jacket printing, either, and didn't have confidence that I could make out the characters or that any search would produce useful results, so didn't pursue that path.

Last edited:
Yes just checked - the 2 other locations where I have MoCA adapters have the white cabling behind the telephone jack locations.

Also, my hypothesis seems to be correct… after checking behind each telephone wall plate in my upstairs rooms, I saw all white cabling (CAT5e) except for one bedroom that has the blue CAT5 cable which lines up with what I saw in the closet with the cables that look to be leading upstairs. Once my order gets delivered, I’ll plan to convert 4 of the 5 rooms upstairs that includes my office from telephone jacks to Ethernet ports.

I’ll plan to convert 4 of the 5 rooms upstairs that includes my office from telephone jacks to Ethernet ports.
Sounds like a plan.

(This is where another difference might spring-up in our approaches. Once the critical lines are overhauled and functioning, I’d probably rework them all while the process is fresh in my head [again, all terminated to a patch panel at the central junction], perhaps using an alternate color RJ45 keystone jack for the Cat5 lines as a reminder/indicator. The Cat5 lines are then ready for networking, if needed, even if not Gigabit; and a RJ45 telephone module could be added [or DIY’d] for jumpering outlets for phone handset connectivity. But getting the main lines reworked is what matters, of course.)

Last edited:
@krkaufman - a few updates since last week!

So I did a lot of YouTubing on appropriate methods to terminate the CAT5e cable and successfully added RJ45 keystones on both ends of the cables - from the wall jacks to the closet. The setup I have right now is basically what you suggested earlier (attached to to this post). With this setup, all basic cable testing looked good. I did a quick test for my LAN connection from the office ethernet port directly and from a satellite (that is hardwired via MoCA) and I am getting consistent speeds of 930-940 Mbps down and 23 Mbps up - I pay for a 800/20 Xfinity plan. As an aside, I also noticed that my cable modem signals are fantastic for both downstream and upstream power levels, all within optimal ranges within spec and no error log entries.

While terminating, I did realize that the telephone jack in my first floor living room (where one of my Orbi satellites is located) only has CAT 5 and not CAT5e cabling behind it. Since I won't be able to maximize Gigabit speeds there, I decided not to add a port and let it be. To keep that satellite hardwired, I'll have to keep it as is with my MoCA adapter connection there. I still do get roughly similar speeds connected directly to the satellite through MoCA.

My next step that's already in motion, is to add a switch in the closet and connect all of the now operational CAT5e cabling to it in order to make the ethernet jacks active/live in all of the rooms that I've updated. It's looking like I won't be able to remove all of my MoCA adapters, but perhaps just 1. Or I can keep them all in place with this hybrid mix of ethernet/MoCA to have an additional ethernet plug in capability.

Again, appreciate all your help and insight! Once I get the switch setup and connected, I'll post an update here.

Attachments

• coax WAN + CATx LAN path to closet.png
    coax WAN + CATx LAN path to closet.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 38