What's new

Thinking of setting up MoCA 2.0 bridge under a MoCA 1.1 router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

saiga6360

Occasional Visitor
I'm on FIOS with coax from the ONT to an Actiontec mi424wr and I'm trying to set up a couple of MoCA 2.0 adapters to run full or near gigE speeds inside my LAN using existing coax. Is this even possible by just setting up the MoCA 2.0 adapter as a MoCA bridge and disabling the MoCA LAN on the router? I also have old STBs which I hope will just fail over to the MoCA 2.0 bridge for functionality without dropping the MoCA speeds to 1.1 standard.

I think this is the way to go, with a lot of help and info thanks to a cool dude in DSLReports, but I'm just wondering if anyone has actually done something like this and got it to work. I won't really know for sure until I get my hands on the new MoCA adapters next week but any heads up and advice will be quite welcome, and hopefully relieve me of some anxiety.

Thanks in advance.

t least in my experience, if they are not MOCA2 implementations, they will drag the whole chain down to 1.1
Only method i know of that will keep the MOCA2 speed is to isolate those cables - either point to point or separate tree.

t least in my experience, if they are not MOCA2 implementations, they will drag the whole chain down to 1.1
Only method i know of that will keep the MOCA2 speed is to isolate those cables - either point to point or separate tree.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. I'm not sure how I can do point to point or separate tree, but the easiest way for me is to return all the old equipment from Verizon, right? Router and STBs should be doable but what about the ONT? That shouldn't matter, right?

make sure you do not have any splitters in the network that are not rated MOCA2. Need to be bi-directional and be good up to just under 1.7GHz. Higher is fine. They can be in the attic, wall box, etc. Cable needs to be RG-6 throughout. RG-59 works with MOCA 1.1 and CATV.

search the threads here about verizon FIOS and MOCA2
search and read the verizon support pages about adding your MOCA2 in the network.

I know that if your MoCA LAN is 1.1 it drags the whole network down. I don't know if the MI424WR can do disable MoCA LAN while still doing MoCA WAN or if the MoCA WAN will drag the whole network down. You could always try it out and then see what kind of speeds you get.

Yep. The STBs I can easily replace for free by going to the closest Verizon store but I'm trying to avoid having to buy or lease that new router of theirs. I'm going to try disabling the coax link on the Actiontec router first to see if that will fail over to the MoCA 2.0 adapter. As for the lines, I've checked all the possible splitters and it seems like I'm good for 5-2500 Mhz on all of them. I have 3 splits on each floor of the house. I can probably remove the one in the basement since I don't really use the TV there. Checking this board, there seems to be varying opinions on how the MoCA 2.0 pair would be affected by 1.1 equipment but if they have to go, out they will go.

So Verizon tells me to pay them to 'upgrade' from their ancient STBs. Hmmm, screw that.

Good news is, I managed to get MoCA 2.0 speeds after disabling the coax LAN link on the router. The bad news is, it seems like one leg of the 4 way split from the ONT is not cooperating, and it just happens to be the one to the living room. Now I didn't know there was a splitter outside and that one is rated only up to 1000 Mhz. Still, it seems like the others are working fine so I may just have to test a different cable.

I think you've got the hang of it. Basically, make sure the moca 2.0 network is completely stand-alone. And if the other stb have ethernet ports, just use them from the moca 2.0 vs their native coax/moca. And if you don't have enough ports, you can use a switch. Done right, your moca 2.0 can become your wired backhaul.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!