What's new

FlexQoS Good settings for flex qos for gaming [solved]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Morning,

Does anyone have good general settings for flex qos, that essentially keep a low stable ping in games, whilst allowing everything else on the network to be stable and work.

Is it recommended to have the Add Well-Known iptables Rule "Gaming Rule" on ? and what does that do?

Also on the setup it says to add manually 95% of your worst upload and download speeds? what is the reason for this, and why is automatic not a better option ?

Thank

Breaking "Matt" Mad Dad

Last edited by a moderator:
Automatic is not a good option. It assumes 1000Mbps for both up and down (or was that 2000 or 10000... can't remember right now). Whatever specific number it assumes, it's wrong. :)

This is how I set up FlexQoS for customers and they rarely touch it afterward.
  • Go to Adaptive QoS, Qos. Turn on QoS.
  • QoS Type: Adaptive QoS.
  • Bandwidth Setting: Manual.
  • Upload Bandwidth: 90% of your lowest (or average if the speeds are consistent) speed test.
  • Download Bandwidth 90% of your lowest (or average if the speeds are consistent) speed test.
    • Test for the lowest or average by using multiple speed test sites.
      • speedtest.net, fast.com, dslreports.com/speedtest, the internal (Asus) speedtest, or let @Jack Yaz's spdMerlin run overnight, etc.
    • I don't average across sites. I don't average between day/night testing. When setting for the most responsive settings, I don't average at all. The lowest, times 0.90, is what I will use.
  • Select the mode you want for your QoS. Gaming, Media Streaming, Web Surfing (my fav), etc.
  • No need to 'customize' anything (and certainly not yet).
  • Hit Apply at the bottom of the page.
  • After 5, 10 or 15 minutes (or when the network is at idle and the CPU cores settle down), reboot the router.
  • Install FlexQoS.
  • After 5, 10, 15 minutes, reboot one last time.
After the above is performed, there are rarely any reports of 'the internet is too slow' anymore on most customer's networks (the few that need a few tweaks are easily handled by the options available within FlexQoS at that point.

Edit: Even RMerlin wasn't sure (so does that mean my memory was correct)! But I found that comment.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Can you specify which games for you want to setup flexqos and on what platform do you play? Is it P2P gaming or some other kind?

is it not better to Priorize the spezific categories by himself ?

I'm all sorted now, thanks for the replies, I upgraded my internet to 500/36, and use flex with recommended rules above, plus a couple of tweaks here and there. Only had 1 very brief spike since, but that may have been ISP related.

I'm all sorted now, thanks for the replies, I upgraded my internet to 500/36, and use flex with recommended rules above, plus a couple of tweaks here and there. Only had 1 very brief spike since, but that may have been ISP related.

Can you share with us tweaks you have implemented and for what platform and game?

I personally run 500/50 and at the moment the best performance I get with AI Protection off "tweak", but i use skynet still.

Can you share with us tweaks you have implemented and for what platform and game?

I personally run 500/50 and at the moment the best performance I get with AI Protection off "tweak", but i use skynet still.

Hi Marko,

Literally nothing that special, I used L&LDs setup above first. I have AIProtect on, I use the NAT ASUS setting for Overwatch only, everything else auto picks up open NAT over UPNP. I suspect I don't really need that for overwatch, but it's my main game. I also use skynet.

I use adaptive QOS with Flex, with gaming as top priority, work from home as lowest, file sharing 2nd lowest. All on default settings. I have the gaming priority tool on the asus set to my my pc only, but the kids have not reported any issues on any of our consoles. I also use adguard on a pi3, for all the kids devices with forced safesearch, malicious and adult blocking all on. On my pc i just use 9.9.9.9 and ublock plugin.

For Download / Upload you are supposed to use 90-95% of your actual speed, but I use my actual speed as it usually runs at about 520/40 but I set Flex to 500/36 to give aprox the 95%.

I use the additional rule to prioritise Microsoft teams, as the kids are hitting that hard right now.

That's all I do. My network is running so well right now it's boring !! (i like to fix stuff). One chore I have is to replace all my CAT6 with CAT8, the improvement I suspect will be minimal though.

My speedtest through the router hits around 480-520, 34-40. Over Wifi I hit about 460-480/36av. I have an ax adaptor however. The powelines chug along at much lower, but very stable

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!