What's new

Goodbye ASUS, I give up.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The UniFi experience so far has been great. Everything is working like I always wanted the ASUS stuff to work. I have 1 SSID across 3 wireless access points and everything roams nicely and connects to either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band appropriately . And I can see all of my devices! And the amount of settings and info the UniFi software has available is incredible. The software for configuring everything has to run on a standalone computer but I already have a fileserver that is on 24hrs a day anyway.
UniFi_devices.jpg
UniFi_devices2.jpg

Looks nice.

Here's my 500/500 FiOS on an RT-AC86U with no QoS:

Yup, same here. IBM Model 360's. I worked in New York then. If you Recall, we called them "Pizza Ovens" or DASD (DAZDI) drives, the 2300 series, see pic.
When joined IBM in early 80's, used to fix/repair these IBM products...2314, 3330 etc. oil pump to move the head across the tracks... Memories with the pics!!

The UniFi experience so far has been great. Everything is working like I always wanted the ASUS stuff to work. I have 1 SSID across 3 wireless access points and everything roams nicely and connects to either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band appropriately . And I can see all of my devices! And the amount of settings and info the UniFi software has available is incredible. The software for configuring everything has to run on a standalone computer but I already have a fileserver that is on 24hrs a day anyway.View attachment 18711 View attachment 18712

Your setup looks great, thank you for sharing. Was checking out their website the other day and boy, they have so many products and options to choose from! Of course, I have hardly explored half of everything they show there but was wondering, do they have any recommended setup guides or products for home vs., say business use or even beginner vs advanced users?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your setup looks great, thank you for sharing. Was checking out their website the other day and boy, they have so many products and options to choose from! Of course, I have hardly explored half of everything they show there but was wondering, do they have any recommended setup guides or products for home vs., say business use or even beginner vs advanced users?

Youtube channels Crosstalk Solutions and Lawrence Systems have several videos explaining UniFi stuff. Check em out. :)

Youtube channels Crosstalk Solutions and Lawrence Systems have several videos explaining UniFi stuff. Check em out. :)

Thank you!

When joined IBM in early 80's, used to fix/repair these IBM products...2314, 3330 etc. oil pump to move the head across the tracks... Memories with the pics!!
I think the 2314 was the one for which I designed an interface to a mini-computer. Quite a kluge it was, 7400-series TTL. I probably still have the D-sized, pencil-drawn, schematics upstairs.

Funny thing is that I had similar issues as the OP with my old setup and a large house. Got a mesh device that had more connection issues. Settled on RT-AC86U and Merlin Firmware a year ago and much smooth sailing since then.

I am with you OP.
Second GT-AC5300 with bad radio.
Asus not what they used to be. Will also be looking at Ubiquiti gear.

Hopefully I can find a tri band solution that will work. Only see dual band setups ... sigh.

Thanks to @Gitsum for providing this info... I would also be interested in the specific Ubiquity router/ap models you went with, and why you chose them.

I am currently *reasonably* happy with my Asus gear (AC86U w/RMerlin as router, AC88U with stock FW as wired AP). But there have always been some nagging / recurring issues from ASUS -- particularly with the network map and wireless status -- that periodically drive me crazy. I've always had the impression that the Ubiquity stuff is more polished, and have long said that if I get fed up with Asus -- Ubiquity is where I will go.

I do like running Diversion, Skynet, and OpenVPN on the 86U. Am I right in understanding the Ubiquity stuff can't do that? What are the replacements? Running PiHole and OpenVPN on a separate raspberry pi? Anything comparable to Skynet that would integrate with Ubiquity?

...So, I am getting rid of all my ASUS stuff and switching to an Ubiquity UniFI system...

Just done the same as you this past week. Finally disconnected both Asus routers (one doing AImesh). I've got the UniFi USG, 2 x 8-60W switches, CloudKey 2 and 3 x nanoHD WAPS. Two of the WAPs are connected in wireless mesh mode. Everything works great so far. Nice to have VLANS and ability to have separate SSIDs with them. Have all my IoT equipment on its own VLAN. I'll sell the Asus stuff soon. Glad it's out.

You "may" have a degree in something but it would be to your benefit if you allowed the ink to dry for a few years on your little certificate before you express opinions like this.

How many of these have you installed ?

ICL-EDS200-1.jpg
What is that, a 2314, 3330, I don't think I remember the numbers anymore.

I'm pretty sure is an IBM 2314 DASD disk pack, see attachment. I used to program a 14k 1401 computer (in Assembler) , followed by an IBM 360 in COBOL. These disk packs came in 6 to 10 units that were nicknamed "Pizza Ovens". This was in 1965.

Attachments

• ibm-2314.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 365
Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone here is old... ;)
Yeah pretty soon we will start talking about how hard it was to code and input programs when you had to use tabulator punch cards to create a program deck. Those weren't the days.