What's new

Goodbye ASUS, I give up.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The Bad Old Days...
My introduction in 1967 was a 360/30 using 1401 compatibility with a 1403 printer and a 2503 card reader/punch . My first 2 weeks on the job was grave shift and running an interpreter with 100s on boxes of 5081 buff

Yeah pretty soon we will start talking about how hard it was to code and input programs when you had to use tabulator punch cards to create a program deck. Those weren't the days.
Punch card decks were a huge step up from the punch tape, then manual mark (pencil) cards I started with. :)

Punch card decks were a huge step up from the punch tape, then manual mark (pencil) cards I started with. :)
I remember paper tape on the RCA 301 and 501, they looked like the consoles on the original Star Trek

I had a big punch card deck of a Cobol program in college when I was caught in a rain storm. It was a full box. I had to dub each and every card so it would run through the card reader.

We had to turn our decks in to an operator who in turn would run them through the reader and then que your program. If you were not polite and friendly he tended to become clumsy and drop your deck on the floor so you then had to try and sort the deck again. With several hundred cards it was a royal PITA. Most everyone tried to be friendly but just in case you kept a duplicate deck.

I ran out of fingers and toes trying to count back how many years ago it was I was delivering them.
it's never good when you have to take off your shoes and socks to count back how many years, is it?

LOL. I'd entirely forgotten the term "DASD". IBM vocab was like Scientology back in the day... lots of proprietary lingo...