What's new

GT-AC2900 - 160MHz not available if 2.4GHz set to ch 11?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rexbinary

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

On my GT-AC2900 router if I manually set the 2.4GHz to channel 11, then the 5GHz will never use 160MHz when enabled. As soon as I set the 2.4GHz to channel to either Auto or anything other than 11 then 5GHz will use 160MHz wide channels. I am trying to determine if this is a firmware bug, or a radio limitation? I'm using stock firmware currently. Any ideas?

I'm not sure why you have the option for 160 MHz as theoretically the router can't support that.

Data Rate​

2.4GHz N: 3x3 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 20/40MHz, up to 750Mbps
5GHz AC: 4x4 (Tx/Rx) 1024 QAM 20/40/80MHz, up to 2167Mbps

It seems to have a Boost mode with 160Mhz support:

No idea how it works
Yes I saw that. I assumed it was a typo (there's a lot of those on Asus' websites).

The WiFi chip is a BCM4366E which doesn't support 160 MHz.

I'm not sure, but here is a peek at my 5GHz settings.

Screenshot 2021-04-17 155356.png

It seems to be running fine as long as 2.4GHz is not set to channel 11. At least according to my stumbler. You have a fair question though and I doubt I have any devices that support it. Since I probably have no devices that support it I haven't truly tested it, but it "looks" like it's working. So, I could most certainly live without it.

The only device connected to the router (I am actaully just using it in AP mode) that I could even use that much speed with would be my 2018 Mac Mini which has a Murata 339S00458. I was unble to determine if this chip supports 160MHz.

Not having my 2.4GHz on 11 is not a big deal at all. It's just a preference as others tend to overlap the couple of neighbors around me. I was just trying to determine if this might be a firmware bug that needs to be reported, or just some type of limitation. At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter at all.

I forgot about my work laptop. It does have a Intel Wireless-AC 9560 in it. If I ever transfer files locally I guess that might be handy. :)

Do you have any device compatible with this?. As far I can tell it only works with cards based on Intel Wireless-AC 9260 and 9560. It might not be worth trying to get this running
Any AX device is compatible with this.

Support for 160Mhz channels was optional in AC and rarely implemented. They can still connect using 80Mhz.
But today there are AX devices that are backward compatible with AC including AC Wave 2. I'm just trying to say that the use of GT's 160MHz is not limited to AC devices only.

The debate about the value and extent of 160 MHz channel bandwidth support aside, 2.4 GHz settings should not affect 5 GHz settings. So I'd say this is a bug.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!