What's new

GT-AC5300 Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rsunny2012

Regular Contributor
Hello Everyone,

i have been using 2 X GT-AC5300 routers in Mesh system from past 3 years. I have 1 GT-AC5300 in my living room and another one in my office room upstairs which are connected via ethernet backhaul.
in these 3 years i saw that internet gets disconnects once in a while. I have to restart the router sometimes to fix the issue. to overcome this, i have kept auto restart of the router daily at 3 am.
from past few days, i have been observing that my internet is getting frequent disconnects. sometimes my work vpn stops. i have to restart the router by pulling the power cable and insert it again

i am unable to understand the logs to see the issue.

did the time come for me to upgrade my router ? or can i do something to fix this issue ?

how can i know which router is having the issue ?

PS: whenever internet gets disconnected, i restart my main router

You may want to share logs just before the event. Having a syslog server for the router to send the logs may help. A power cycle may not preserve all relevant logs (I haven't check that in several years, I don't know if newer firmware preserve logs over a power cycle).
I also have a GT-AC5300 as primary router on an Aimesh for 4.5y. And I do reboot it every week, otherwise it will start misbehaving at a random moment. Since I established this weekly reboot, I can't remember last time when I had a single problem.

What you describing looks a lot like a WAN issue. Do you have a ISP device? Or GT connects directly on the ethernet cable provider brought to your house? By any chance you tried accessing WEB interface on your GT while issue is happening?
It's not excluded your router may get close to end of its life. But first you should be able to exclude any ISP issue.

You may want to share logs just before the event. Having a syslog server for the router to send the logs may help. A power cycle may not preserve all relevant logs (I haven't check that in several years, I don't know if newer firmware preserve logs over a power cycle).
I also have a GT-AC5300 as primary router on an Aimesh for 4.5y. And I do reboot it every week, otherwise it will start misbehaving at a random moment. Since I established this weekly reboot, I can't remember last time when I had a single problem.

What you describing looks a lot like a WAN issue. Do you have a ISP device? Or GT connects directly on the ethernet cable provider brought to your house? By any chance you tried accessing WEB interface on your GT while issue is happening?
It's not excluded your router may get close to end of its life. But first you should be able to exclude any ISP issue.
I have xfinity 1 Gb speed internet. Xfinity provided me a XB7 Modem + Router device. I have kept XB7 in bridge mode and connected it to GT-AC5300 Router. do you think something is happening from my xfinity Router ?

also note that there is a firmware update for the GT-AC5300, Version 3.0.0.4.386.46092 released on 3/17/22

Good old Comcast!
I would guess you're getting plenty of "your isp dhcp does not function properly" in GT logs.
What I would do:
- try to get logs, directly from Asus web GUI or by sending it to a syslog server
- try to get logs from XB7 (no idea if it's possible)
- try to change "DHCP query frequency" under WAN on Asus from aggressive to normal.

Do you IPv6 from Comcast? Along with IPv4? A separate attempt would be to disable IPv6 for a couple of weeks and see if it's more stable.

Sorry i totally forgot to mention about the Pi hole i am using for DHCP. i installed Pi -hole on Raspberry pi and using it as DHCP in my router. is this having any impact on my issue ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!