What's new

GT-AC5300 Router Lan Ports not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rsunny2012

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I have been using GT-AC5300 router from past 2 years. I have connected a cable form Modem to WAN port of the router and 2 switch cables to bottom LAN ports on the router ( LAN 6 and LAN 7). There are multiple devices connected to my switch ( Vonage phone, Sony PS3, Amazon fire tv stick, 2nd GT-AC5300 router connected as Aimesh etc). all other devices are connected to wifi on the router

Suddenly from today i saw that all the network devices ( connected in LAn) dint worked. Devices connected to wifi worked fine
Despite of resetting the router to factory settings i am not getting internet to the devices connected in LAN. I see that in the router LAN 6 and LAN 7 showing as 1 Gbps speed. I can see all the devices getting ip addresses, but there is not internet connectivity ( even i cannot ping the devices from internal LAN).
I changed the wires to port LAN 1, LAN 2, LAN3 and LAN 4 ( top ports) on the router. Everything works fine. When i change the wires to bottom ports ( LAN 5, 6, 7,8 ), internet is not working

what should i do to fix the bottom ports ?

Hello,

I have been using GT-AC5300 router from past 2 years. I have connected a cable form Modem to WAN port of the router and 2 switch cables to bottom LAN ports on the router ( LAN 6 and LAN 7). There are multiple devices connected to my switch ( Vonage phone, Sony PS3, Amazon fire tv stick, 2nd GT-AC5300 router connected as Aimesh etc). all other devices are connected to wifi on the router

Suddenly from today i saw that all the network devices ( connected in LAn) dint worked. Devices connected to wifi worked fine
Despite of resetting the router to factory settings i am not getting internet to the devices connected in LAN. I see that in the router LAN 6 and LAN 7 showing as 1 Gbps speed. I can see all the devices getting ip addresses, but there is not internet connectivity ( even i cannot ping the devices from internal LAN).
I changed the wires to port LAN 1, LAN 2, LAN3 and LAN 4 ( top ports) on the router. Everything works fine. When i change the wires to bottom ports ( LAN 5, 6, 7,8 ), internet is not working

what should i do to fix the bottom ports ?

You could try cycling power (leave it OFF a few minutes), but maybe they are dying/dead.

OE

Apart from what @OzarkEdge has already suggested, I don't think there is really much to do.

This is a known issue with Asus routers with 8 LAN Ports. Mainly because it isn't an 8 Port switch, rather, it is two 4 port switches patched together.

You may have many more years out of the router (assuming security updates continue) by simply buying a 5 or 8 Port switch and only using ports 1-4 on the router. Simply do not use Ports 5-8 at all.

what i dont understand is that before ( for atleast 2 years) port 5-8 worked. suddenly they stopped working. so i had to switch the ports to 1-4.
Thanks for your suggestions. i will try port 1-4

Yes, over time, things fail.

You could try doing a full reset to factory defaults and then manually configuring the router/network again. If this doesn't work (particularly after trying to reset it multiple times), it usually indicates a hardware issue.

You could also try unplugging the power from the router (and the AC plug from the wall socket) for as long as you're able to. Then power everything up again. This is usually a temporary fix though.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!