What's new

GT AC5300 Signal strength issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rsunny2012

Regular Contributor
Hello,

Couple of days I bought Gt ac5300 router by replacing my old netgear R8500 router. I stay in 3 floored town home. After replacing the router with new asus GT ac5300 I am getting getting good signal strength across my house except 2nd floor
I have my river connected to modem kn 2nd floor. I am getting very good signal across my house expect on 2nd floor. Few of my devices are near by router but still it gives less signal.
What should I do to fix it

Here's a diagram you might find informative. Tilting the antenna slightly TOWARD a target device usually helps.

cdc003fdb0b4c4132bf22a532c9d6657.jpg

In case you're wondering, the government imposed a law requiring WiFi device manufacturers to introduce methods to prevents users from boosting transmit power, because of some law against it which previously had no teeth. Long story short, Asus removed this featured ability, long ago. So, we're stuck tinkering with the antenna gain, instead. Fortunately, beam-forming kinda helps:

Beamforming%2BChip%2Bvs.%2BAntenna.jpg

I'm guessing by his english, that he may not have to worry about US power regulations.

I'm guessing by his english, that he may not have to worry about US power regulations.
FYI, the US FCC Wi-Fi power regulations are enforced in the router firmware and are not adjustable by the user, no matter the country where the equipment is being used.
Your comment is useless.

Last edited:
People, no personal insults please.

Really? Then how come I've read of other contries allowing higher power output based on the region that is set in the cfe of where the router sold.
I guess you haven't seen people on the forum manipulating the cfe to change the country code.
https://w.wol.ph/2015/08/28/maximum-wifi-transmission-power-country/
https://w.wol.ph/2015/08/28/increasing-transmit-power-asus-rt-ac68u/
Your comment is useless.
Yes... really ... when using any recent ASUS or Merlin firmware.

https://www.google.com/search?q=most+spoken+languages&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Respect the others !

I am respecting others. All I said was that based on his English that he didn't have to worry about the fcc.
I did not criticize his English. Also some of us aren't limited to only asus or rmerlin on our asus routers. I use dd-wrt on mine.

Btw, I have not insulted anyone.

i tried changing angles of the antennas. I see that all my 2.4ghz signal is very strong and signal strength for 5ghz dint improved anything. Only issue is with ipad and iphone. ipad and iphone are getting very weak signal. i tried disconnecting them and reconnecting back. Samsung phone is same location os getting very strong signal

Ipad Tx rate is 300 , RX rate is 10
Iphone Tx Rate is 390 and Rx rate is 24
Samsung phone in same location TX Rate is 866.7 Rx Rate is 800

Even i tested with other laptops. i am getting very good signal but only apple devices are having issue

Suggest you turn off Airtime Fairness. Might help the Apple devices.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

If you were using a high channel (i.e. 157), then try switching to a lower channel like 36.

i enabled smart connect for both 5ghz bands. presently i have 1x 2.4 ghz band and 1x 5ghz ( smart connect enabled). i dont have option to change the channel when smart connect is enabled

I've never checked but I assume the Tx and Rx rates are that of the router itself and that the router's reception of the Apple devices is limited (which would make sense if a Samsung device in the same location has a higher value).

Assuming the above is correct and you are unable to increase the power output or change the antenna of the Apple, which of course you can't, then changing angles and channels is about all you can do.

Someone else is going to say it ... Break the smart connect and test the channels. 5Ghz is way more susceptible to being blocked and a small change in frequency could help (as suggested, lower is better).

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Also, Apple products may tend to select the 5Ghz channels over the 2.4Ghz ones, even though the 5Ghz channels have a lower power (fewer bars). This is especially true for the most recent Apple products - they will prefer to make an AC connection to 5Ghz than an N connection to 2.4Ghz.

Test using Speedtest - you may find that 5Ghz delivers better performance even with lower bars.

And yes - get rid of Smart Connect, and let your devices choose which connection they use...

i did network reset on my ipad and iphone. surprisingly ipad speed is good now. but still iphone speed is not good. honestly i gave up as i dont want to spend much time on just single phone

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!