What's new

GT-AX11000 and Looking to add rt-ax58u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gundrted

Occasional Visitor
I have a ax11000 and it's running great. I have an old MacBook Pro with a slowly failing wireless NIC and a second Windows laptop in the same location. My house is old (built in the 40s) and there is no option to run rj45 to the location. The basic requirements are at least 2 (maybe 3) gig rj45 connections and 802.11ax support back to my current gt-ax11000.

I was thinking about putting an rt-ax58u at this location. I would add the ax58u as an AiMesh endpoint and connect the two laptops via wired NICs. The ax58u would also sure up my wireless coverage, but its not the primary goal because the ax11000 has solid coverage in my home.

The overall topology would be as follows:
Gig fiber (CenturyLink) -> Adtran fiber mux -> ax11000 -> AiMesh -> ax58u -> LAN NIC -> MacBook Pro (personal) / HP Windows Laptops (work)

I tried to contact Asus chat support and receive zero help. They didn't understand my questions. The google gods didn't return a clean answer. It seemed most topics wondered off into debates around AiMesh itself.

Will this setup work?
Are there other products I could look at?

Last edited:
I wouldn't fool around with AiMesh if you have no need for it.

Get an RT-AC56U and use (media) Bridge mode instead. Rock steady, no issues for all attached wired LAN clients.

I wouldn't fool around with AiMesh if you have no need for it.

Get an RT-AC56U and use (media) Bridge mode instead. Rock steady, no issues for all attached wired LAN clients.

Good point about not using something I don't need. I checked the manual for rt-ax58u and the screen shot does show 'Media Bridge' as on one of the route modes. The ac56u looks like it is discontinued and costs about the same last the newer ax58u.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!