What's new

GT-AX11000 speedtest difference laptop vs integrated on asuswrt/merlin (QOS issue?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dwadj

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

Since some time we have gigabit connection at home.
Now i was checking the speed within the router itself and was only getting somewhere near 400 Mbps, i observed for Both GT-AC5300 and GT-AX11000 same behaviour

1657279923073.png

So i checked what speed i would get directly at the routers lan port connected to a laptop (Qos disabled)
If i do the check with the speedtest app in windows it goes up to 970 Mbps download
1657279830392.png

So why is there almost half the speed mentioned in the speedtest inside the routers pages vs speedtest on laptop?
If i again enable Qos, is there any impact on the speed routing due to this or even without Qos enabled?

I've updated the router to latest 3.0.0.4.386_49599 firmware.
But still the same.
When i enable QOS (adaptive) test on router will only go till some 500 Mbps
If i disabled QOS the speedtest in the router goes up till 940 Mbps !!
So is there a link between te Speedtest and the QOS? on a client this is logical but within the routers firmware...?
Looks like i need to disable QOS, however for the gamers at home i bought this router because it supports those ROG first, Game boost, ... but all are dependant on QOS enabled !

I can confirm that on gt-ax6000 with aiprotection/qos (adaptive) and traffic analyzer on, I get 900+ in speed test (through router GUI and web browser).
The only difference with turning these features off (of course) is CPU usage which spike to 80%+ with them on (and 1-2 with the features disabled).

Hi All,

Since some time we have gigabit connection at home.
Now i was checking the speed within the router itself and was only getting somewhere near 400 Mbps, i observed for Both GT-AC5300 and GT-AX11000 same behaviour

View attachment 42575

So i checked what speed i would get directly at the routers lan port connected to a laptop (Qos disabled)
If i do the check with the speedtest app in windows it goes up to 970 Mbps download
View attachment 42574

So why is there almost half the speed mentioned in the speedtest inside the routers pages vs speedtest on laptop?
If i again enable Qos, is there any impact on the speed routing due to this or even without Qos enabled?
You don't really need QoS with your broadband width. QoS is designed to fairly spread limited bandwidth around devices in your property. Given that you have a gigabit connection with >900Mb downstream you have ample bandwidth for all your devices unless you have a very large family of gaming and streaming teens! :D QoS will cap the speed on all your devices to ensure that there is enough bandwidth to share around. In your case that cap is below what you would expect from your connection in a speed test. You have a choice depending on what other speed-hungry devices you have in your house. In terms of the functionality of your devices and their ability to stream or run games QoS won't interfere. Your speed tests will just be lower. I would say, looking at your non-QoS down speed, you are getting only slightly less than I did when I was with Virgin in modem only mode. I usually got 940Mb. With QoS I got 400-500Mb. Your speed is indicative that your Virgin Hub is getting the full 1.1Gb you are paying for, but naturally unless you have 10Gb switches and network cards in your property each device will never get over 1Gb.

So, unless you need to have QoS, leave it disabled.

Yes, don't think there's an issue with the modem speed towards the router.
However i did some tests with 2 mobile phones on the second floor.
Now the second floor has also a GT-AX11000 as aimesh node, however it is configured as wireless backhaul on 5Ghz2.
With one phone connected i get somewhere between 500-600 Mbps on wireless 5Ghz1, which is not bad.
With 2 phones connected, the load is splitted, however not equally divided Phone 1 gets 400 Mbps, phone 2 100 Mbps...
It's consistent throught some test runs.
If i enable Qos, seems the load is now splitted more equally over the phones, phone1 250 Mbps, phone2 300 Mbps...
Mmmm, so Qos maybe makes some sense on high bandwidth clients ?

Yes, don't think there's an issue with the modem speed towards the router.
However i did some tests with 2 mobile phones on the second floor.
Now the second floor has also a GT-AX11000 as aimesh node, however it is configured as wireless backhaul on 5Ghz2.
With one phone connected i get somewhere between 500-600 Mbps on wireless 5Ghz1, which is not bad.
With 2 phones connected, the load is splitted, however not equally divided Phone 1 gets 400 Mbps, phone 2 100 Mbps...
It's consistent throught some test runs.
If i enable Qos, seems the load is now splitted more equally over the phones, phone1 250 Mbps, phone2 300 Mbps...
Mmmm, so Qos maybe makes some sense on high bandwidth clients ?
Depends on your priorities. If you are speed freak, like me, and just have to see >900Mb in my test results then QoS isn't for you. If you are happy to have the load split but never seeing your full speed in tests, then keep your QoS on. Another thing is to consider is how much each device really needs, (4k Streaming 2160p needs 25Mb - definitely no more than 50Mb ever.) and how many hungry devices you ever run at the same time. If the answer is, only 3 or 4, then you won't need QoS on your bandwidth.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!