What's new

GT-AX11000 vs RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Debug

Occasional Visitor
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these routers. Would like to hear what you have to say about which one you like better.

Currently waiting for the GT-AX11000 I have on order from Newegg, but saw they also have the RT-AX89X in stock as well.

Tri-Band Vs Dual Band
2.5gb ethernet Vs 10gb ethernet

They're realistically the main differences.
Depends if you find the 3rd band more useful than a 10gb ethernet connection.

In my case I do as I use it for aimesh and like having my ax devices on their own band.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with both of these routers. Would like to hear what you have to say about which one you like better.

Currently waiting for the GT-AX11000 I have on order from Newegg, but saw they also have the RT-AX89X in stock as well.

There are many differences that make the AX11000 inferior, but it depends on what you need. The AX11000 doesn't have 10 gig ports while the AX89X has both SFP+ and 10GBase-T. The AX89X has eight LAN ports vs. only four on the AX11000. The AX11000's 4-core processor is 1.8 GHz but the AX89X runs at 2.2 GHz.

There are many differences that make the AX11000 inferior, but it depends on what you need. The AX11000 doesn't have 10 gig ports while the AX89X has both SFP+ and 10GBase-T. The AX89X has eight LAN ports vs. only four on the AX11000. The AX11000's 4-core processor is 1.8 GHz but the AX89X runs at 2.2 GHz.

I need the best coverage/throughput that I can get in a 2700 sq ft. house with about 30 connected devices.

I was under the impression the ax-11000 was a great router, then I saw the other, now I am wondering if I should return the ax-11000 and get the AX89X.

For coverage/throughput, I assume you mean over wifi? If so, the the ax11000 is better as the extra radio means being able to handle more devices without slowing down due to concurrent connections when multiple devices are streaming and downloading.

If you have 10gb internet, or anything above a 2.5gb internet connection, or a NAS with a 10gb ethernet port, then yes, the ax89x would serve you better, otherwise the 10gb port is pretty pointless for you. (Bear in mind, the ax11000 has a 2.5gb lan/wan port for when you have outragous internet speeds)

4 extra ethernet ports can be handy, but nothing I've ever found a £10 netgear switch can't handle if more ports are needed.

Either way, both great routers and mostly overkill for the majority of households, not gonna wrong with either :)

For coverage/throughput, I assume you mean over wifi? If so, the the ax11000 is better as the extra radio means being able to handle more devices without slowing down due to concurrent connections when multiple devices are streaming and downloading.

If you have 10gb internet, or anything above a 2.5gb internet connection, or a NAS with a 10gb ethernet port, then yes, the ax89x would serve you better, otherwise the 10gb port is pretty pointless for you. (Bear in mind, the ax11000 has a 2.5gb lan/wan port for when you have outragous internet speeds)

4 extra ethernet ports can be handy, but nothing I've ever found a £10 netgear switch can't handle if more ports are needed.

Either way, both great routers and mostly overkill for the majority of households, not gonna wrong with either :)

Thank you very much.

I'm living in a 2000 sq ft. apt, nothing out of ordinary. I got the RT-AX89X and waited patiently for it to arrive from Amazon for about 4 weeks. It worked just fine on the same floor I was on for about 2 weeks until I noticed my usage on my LTE has increased as the "best router ever" could not cover with eight huge antennas an area a 5 years old Netgear has no problems working its magic. With this occasion, I've seen a very funny message on my phone that I have never seen "Move closer and try again". This router is nothing to write home about. It's big and useless. I tried for about 4 days all the possible configurations I could to help it work: I disabled AX, 160, NSS, changed channels, and tried a few more tricks from it's Pro menu but to no avail. I went to Best Buy and picked up an AX58 for $159 and is all good again (it will go back as it is not only about coverage) so I don't know what the problem is. RT-AX89X is also losing its 5Ghz band under heavy usage tried it a few times.
I had high hopes and I thought I will pay close to $500 for peace of mind for another 5 years but it did not work out.
I have a feeling browsing this site that AX or its implementation is not ready for prime time. I will fire up my 7500v2 and leave with it for a bit longer and I hope either one of your choices will work miracles for you.

Last edited:
You will be better off with RT-AC86U and grab a Wifi6E router which are slated to release at the end of this year.

The major difference is Broadcom (AX11000) vs Qualcomm (AX89X) base SoC spec. Everything else is a secondary evolution from there on down, period.

On the wired side, the 89X is dedicates all Aquantia throughput to WAN at 10Gb/s (as they should), no fancy software-hooey necessary. The 11000 implements the same chip split-purpose for 2.5Gb WAN or LAN, which in theory is nice for a few simultaneous sessions on a lightweight home network, but won't hold a candle to a discrete, multi-gig managed switch when the need for beefier multi-port queuing arises (and that can happen sooner than one might think).

On the wireless side, the 89X has more overall potential, as Qualcomm wifi is generally the higher-quality experience, BUT, especially in the AX space right now, they're trailing behind Broadcom majorly with product and driver presence, so I suppose the AX11000 would be the lesser of two evils, for now. That said, once the boys over at OpenWRT figure out how to stabilize ath11k drivers by next year and get proven builds established for the RAX120, AX89X, and friends, it'll be game-over. Especially because the AX11000 will likely never see Merlin support.

EDIT: The AX11000 is also tri-band, so more potential simultaneous wifi fronthaul.

So there you have it. Those are the real differences, in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Especially because the AX11000 will likely never see Merlin support.

@Debug already ordered AX11000. He knows there is no Merlin. Not interested in 3rd party firmware perhaps. Tri-band AX11000 may offer higher throughput in mixed AC-AX clients environment compared to dual-band AX89X. In case it can cover the place. Many people fall victims to marketing. Bad looks, 10G ports. Then find a $500 router is no faster than $100 router with what clients they have.

@Debug already ordered AX11000. He knows there is no Merlin. Not interested in 3rd party firmware perhaps. Tri-band AX11000 may offer higher throughput in mixed AC-AX clients environment compared to dual-band AX89X. In case it can cover the place. Many people fall victims to marketing. Bad looks, 10G ports. Then find a $500 router is no faster than $100 router with what clients they have.
Merlin is working perfectly on my AX11000

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!