What's new

GT-AX11000 vs RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adv3

Occasional Visitor
Since I've been told by @L&LD that my AC88U is pretty old (it's still working well! :)) and there is no real point to wait for 6E routers the next question arises for me. I'm going to buy a new apartment, so I want a new router:
ROG Rapture GT-AX11000
OR
RT-AX89X

I just want to buy the new router and forget about it for the next years (except for FW updates).
Unfortunately @RMerlin provides only FW for AX88U as for top router. Will be there any FWs for the mentioned models?
Is it worth it to buy AX89 or ROG? Or I can buy AX88U as Wi-Fi6 router and I'll be just fine?

ps. not a US-citizen, so I believe no Netgear or something like this
pps. sorry for bad english (possibly bad)
ppps. another thing is that due to providers' monopoly I will need router with the GPON (SFP+??) port (optic fiber)

Last edited:
Since I've been told by @L&LD that my AC88U is pretty old (it's still working well! :)) and there is no real point to wait for 6E routers the next question arises for me. I'm going to buy a new apartment, so I want a new router:
ROG Rapture GT-AX11000
OR
RT-AX89X

I just want to buy the new router and forget about it for the next years (except for FW updates).
Unfortunately @RMerlin provides only FW for AX88U as for top router. Will be there any FWs for the mentioned models?
Is it worth it to buy AX89 or ROG? Or I can buy AX88U as Wi-Fi6 router and I'll be just fine?

ps. not a US-citizen, so I believe no Netgear or something like this
pps. sorry for bad english (possibly bad)
ppps. another thing is that due to providers' monopoly I will need router with the SFP port (optic fiber)
Being a non US citizen why can’t you buy a Netgear router?

Being a non US citizen why can’t you buy a Netgear router?
well, actually I CAN, but the mail service in my country leaves much to be desired, too many cases of theft. I don't want to spend 200-300-400$ and get nothing

All ROG GT models and the RT-AX89X I believe will never have RMerlin firmware. Really, no point to buy them without even if today you see nothing that interests you on the RMerlin side. :)

Not only are they more expensive and low quantity produced products, but their feature sets are also actually detrimental to normal home setups. I'm talking about the 'third' radio that doesn't even make them Tri-Band routers (even if they 'technically' are). :rolleyes:

An RT-AX88U will either work today in your setup (and your new apartment too) or it won't be an upgrade over what you have now. That is the decision to make. :)

Buy your new apartment, buy the RT-AX88U at that time, and then fully test it vs. your current router. Make an informed decision then. :)

The GT and the 'AX89X model do have specific use cases. Only consider them if your use case fits.

I'll repeat again that without RMerlin firmware, those otherwise 'top' models lose their sheen (by a lot).

HTH. :)

All ROG GT models and the RT-AX89X I believe will never have RMerlin firmware.
Not only are they more expensive and low quantity produced products, but their feature sets are also actually detrimental to normal home setups. I'm talking about the 'third' radio that doesn't even make them Tri-Band routers (even if they 'technically' are). :rolleyes:
The GT and the 'AX89X model do have specific use cases. Only consider them if your use case fits.

I'll repeat again that without RMerlin firmware, those otherwise 'top' models lose their sheen (by a lot).

HTH. :)

I got your point. but as I've mentioned - what should be my choose if I needed GPON router? and I still need Merlin's FW

I got your point. but as I've mentioned - what should be my choose if I needed GPON router? and I still need Merlin's FW

I thought that was clear? The RT-AX88U. :)

But the GT-AX11000 and RT-AX89X do?

Only the RT-AX89X does.
Sorry to hijack this thread but whats your take on the IQrouter V3 version? Can it really outperform the RT-AX88U and improve bufferbloat like their website states?

Sorry to hijack this thread but whats your take on the IQrouter V3 version? Can it really outperform the RT-AX88U and improve bufferbloat like their website states?
When you say "outperform", outperform in what sense? Just at controlling bufferbloat? The answer there would be largely yes, as the IQRV3 is built on top of the MediaTek MT76__ series SoC, which has full linux kernel driver support for SQM/AQM qdiscs, not only on the WAN interface but also in the wireless radio chipsets, so not only will it ensure per-host and per-flow fairness for internet traffic, but it will do so also for all wireless traffic as well. Contrast that against the AX88U, which is subject of course to Broadcom's binary, closed-source driver blobs, rendering even Merlin-based fq_codel somewhat neutered in its ability to de-bloat most effectively. The IQRV3 CPU will do up to about 350Mb/s of SQM before bottlenecking. Usually good enough for most home internet connection speeds that would benefit most from SQM anyways. Underneath it all, the IQRouter is really just OpenWRT + custom-tuned SQM packages with a heavily-limited GUI. Still, a great option for basic users who want something that "just works" without hardly any more config required other than running through the setup wizard.

For other things, though, the AX88U probably tops the IQRV3, such as effective wifi throughput over distance for AX and some AC clients, plus software-driven throughput for certain tasks, and of course the deeper feature set of the firmware, even stock -- to say nothing of Merlin + scripts.

So the choice between those two depends; it's not a universal "outperforms" at all.

thank you all for your replies. since I like @RMerlin 's FWs I took AX-88 to replace my AC-88.
in case of possible future GPON connections - well, it seems I will take some kind of PON-socket, like Huawei HG8120H or ZTE F612 or something like that