What's new

GT-AX6000 fw upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

frabar55

New Around Here
Hi All,
I'm new in this forum. I have a LAN with a GT-AX6000 as main wireless router and three RP-AX58 in Ai mesh. My question is very simple: may I install the last ASUSWRT 5 release (.102-33308) even if this is not forecasts for that routers?
Thanks for the replies

My question is very simple: may I install the last ASUSWRT 5 release (.102-33308) even if this is not forecasts for that routers?
You cannot install a firmware that does not exist. Firmware releases are router-specific, you cannot flash a firmware intended for a different model.

Thanks but I know that this new fw is for the AX88U pro that is very similar to my one.
Won`t work. It might have similar features, but it`s still a different model, with its own unique firmware.

To further explain why it won't work. As consumer routers use NAND or some kind of serial flash, these storage memories lack a controller like eMMC or an SD card. This means that there has to be custom code created for these memory devices that allows the SoC to be able to read the data on them. However, to make matters complicated, the router manufacturers rarely use the same type of memory in different models, even though the main router SoC might be the same. Sometimes it's due to supply, sometimes due to different design teams that are used to working with different brands of flash memory and sometimes simply down to what they can get cheap in bulk.
This is why you see TP-Link often has 5-6 different SKUs for the same router, as they can't use the same firmware due to having swapped the flash memory. It's a real pain and I wish we could just move to eMMC already, but it costs more and isn't really available in sizes under 4 GB, so we're stuck with antiquated ways of doing things.

Now, if only they would switch that to 8GB DDR5 RAM and (upgradeable) 128GB+ PCIe 4 x4 SSD.

I believe that would significantly increase the power draw and resultant heat, along with the utility, though then a more potent processor would be...

8GB DDR5 RAM and (upgradeable) 128GB+ PCIe 4 x4 SSD
Maybe some fries?

Look for Mikrotk CCR2216-1G-12XS-2XQ (RAM 16 GB DDR4 and 2 slots M.2 SATA).

Oh, I know that the hardware mix is available.

Don't want anything to do with Microtek though.

Why? Mikrotik have very good routers.

How about Cisco? I don't know what models, but e.g. Cisco Catalyst 8500 Series Edge Platforms.

they've had some high-profile security issues in the past...
I know. I also remember how a few years ago thousands of Mikrotik routers were used as public proxies ;)

It's a real pain and I wish we could just move to eMMC already, but it costs more and isn't really available in sizes under 4 GB, so we're stuck with antiquated ways of doing things.

Small eMMC's have become actually more expensive over time... I think this is due much to the phone business, IMHO...

I still see on the low end with the SPI-NOR and SPI-NAND chips out there - bit more work as mentioned, because one has to be concerned with the geometry and other specifics... Compared to eMMC, which is basically a bog-standard block device, NOR/NAND over JFFS/UBIFS takes a bit more work to develop and sustain, but gosh, the price advantages for low-end devices is worth the effort...

To further explain why it won't work
Even more basic than that, a concrete example here:

Newer RT-AX88U_PRO hardware revisions use a different Ethernet controller for the 2.5 Gbps port. Any GT-AX6000 firmware would have no idea what to do with that. And an older RT-AX88U_PRO firmware would also have no idea how to deal with that. (which was why a few months ago I pulled the initial RT-AX88U_PRO firmware from SF.net, at Asus' request to avoid people bricking their newer revisions by flashing older firmware - the oldest version I offer has the additional Ethernet SoC driver.)

These are the kind of differences your specs sheet will not tell you - there are many of these.

Microtik is fine, but they've had some high-profile security issues in the past...
At this point, which router manufacturer hasn't?

Even Juniper had their share of critical issues these past few years, and they are generally considered to be "good stuff" by people in the industry.

What matters is how they are addressing these issues, and how frequently they occur.

Newer RT-AX88U_PRO hardware revisions use a different Ethernet controller for the 2.5 Gbps port. Any GT-AX6000 firmware would have no idea what to do with that. And an older RT-AX88U_PRO firmware would also have no idea how to deal with that. (which was why a few months ago I pulled the initial RT-AX88U_PRO firmware from SF.net, at Asus' request to avoid people bricking their newer revisions by flashing older firmware - the oldest version I offer has the additional Ethernet SoC driver.)

These are the kind of differences your specs sheet will not tell you - there are many of these.
Sorry, but also the GT-AX6000 has two 2.5GBts ports! And I use them!

Obviously any component could be different and that would require specific drivers for that device as you point out. As to keep the firmware code as small as possible, no sane company would include drivers for all the possible variations, as it would make for huge firmwares and then people will complain about that...

My comment above was simply an example of one of the reason as to why it wouldn't work.

Sorry, but also the GT-AX6000 has two 2.5GBts ports! And I use them!
Again as I said, the fact they have similar features does not mean they have identical hardware and use the same drivers for that hardware.

Bottom line: do NOT try to flash a firmware from a different model, period.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!