What's new

GT-AX6000 Node - 2.5Gbps LAN issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I belive the current guest can't segment 2.4ghz/5ghz in which my IOT struggles to connect when the same SSID is broadcasted. Ideally I'd want to turn off the 5ghz band for Guest Wifi. I do not believe this is possible today, which is why i use YazFi to turn off the 5ghz.

Unless i'm incorrect and i've missed this.

That's what I do! Go to Guest Network settings.

Hi everyone,

Is it a known issue for a GT-AX6000 node to not support 2.5Gbps LAN? I have two GT-AX6000's. One is router and one as node. I've tried both with Merlin and figured it was a Merlin issue. But I've put it to stock "FW_GT_AX6000_300438822068" and put it back in as an AiMesh Node. Seems that I can use the WAN 2.5Gbps as the backhaul but can't utilize the LAN 2.5Gbps to connect to a computer. This is the case in both Merlin/Stock. I can connect to the 1Gbps LAN ports and I'll get connectivity, but once I try to connect the 2.5Gbps to LAN for ethernet backhaul or as Switch 2.5Gbps port it fails. If its factory reset I can use the 2.5Gbps LAN to configure but once I've paired for AiMesh node, it drops.

Is this an Asus issue where they are blocking the 2.5Gbps LAN port usage?

Router GT-AX6000 - Merlin 388.1
Node GT-AX6000 - Merlin 388.1/FW_GT_AX6000_300438822068
Hi everyone,

Is it a known issue for a GT-AX6000 node to not support 2.5Gbps LAN? I have two GT-AX6000's. One is router and one as node. I've tried both with Merlin and figured it was a Merlin issue. But I've put it to stock "FW_GT_AX6000_300438822068" and put it back in as an AiMesh Node. Seems that I can use the WAN 2.5Gbps as the backhaul but can't utilize the LAN 2.5Gbps to connect to a computer. This is the case in both Merlin/Stock. I can connect to the 1Gbps LAN ports and I'll get connectivity, but once I try to connect the 2.5Gbps to LAN for ethernet backhaul or as Switch 2.5Gbps port it fails. If its factory reset I can use the 2.5Gbps LAN to configure but once I've paired for AiMesh node, it drops.

another crappy version after updating GT-AX600 to 388.1 no possibility to connect via lan to the router only via wifi connection gives access to the router all lan devices are invisible on the network map I'm not talking about the 388.1 version on RT-AX86U it's just a shirt device after wifi they disconnect notoriously and devices, e.g. TV non-stop can not connect to Netflix or HBO, etc.

i see it!! not sure why i missed it....i think maybe I didn't use it due to lack of YazFi support with AiMesh.
For guest network 1 only, Asus automagically creates tagged VLANs for you with .101.x and .102.x subnets for 2.4/5 GHz, respectively. Guest network 1 can also be pushed out to AiMesh node (configurable as all or none).

For guest network 1 only, Asus automagically creates tagged VLANs for you with .101.x and .102.x subnets for 2.4/5 GHz, respectively. Guest network 1 can also be pushed out to AiMesh node (configurable as all or none).
Actually it's 501/502 not 101/102 for AiMesh.

another crappy version after updating GT-AX600 to 388.1 no possibility to connect via lan to the router only via wifi connection gives access to the router all lan devices are invisible on the network map I'm not talking about the 388.1 version on RT-AX86U it's just a shirt device after wifi they disconnect notoriously and devices, e.g. TV non-stop can not connect to Netflix or HBO, etc.
Also have 2 GT-AX6000s that I tried configuring as an AiMesh setup. I can confirm failure with the 2.5gb ports vs the 1gb ports when attempting wired backhaul. Could not maintain a stable connection for more than 24 hours. My solution was to go with AP mode for the second ax6000 and create a tagged (102) vlan in order to extend the 5ghz guest wifi to the AP node. Seems to work ok as long as I keep all the "client steering" stuff turned off, and I can use the 2.5gb ports to connect. We don't have a lot of clients "moving around" in our house so any sort of 'mesh' setup is of limited value vs plain old APs anyhow.

Actually it's 501/502 not 101/102 for AiMesh.
501/502 are the VLAN tags, but third octet of subnets are .101/.102 when Intranet access is disabled.

We don't have a lot of clients "moving around" in our house so any sort of 'mesh' setup is of limited value vs plain old APs anyhow.

The roaming is the same. AiMesh is a limited central control for wireless repeaters or wired access points. Marketing name.

The roaming is the same. AiMesh is a limited central control for wireless repeaters or wired access points. Marketing name.
The way I understand the "marketing term" is that it implies an active handoff system to the node with the best signal, whereas in simple AP mode the connections to any particular AP will be more persistent despite fair to poor signal. The last thing I'd want to do is get into a 'semantics' debate over "marketing terms" made up by non-engineers though. I suppose its equally valid to view "mesh" as just the type of wifi coverage that has nothing to do with client connection behavior.

501/502 are the VLAN tags, but third octet of subnets are .101/.102 when Intranet access is disabled.
Right. Why they don't just use 101/102 for the tags as well is beyond me.

No such thing in AiMesh. The only tool they have is Roaming Assistant - available in AP Mode as well.
Yes, I have learned that about ASUS's version of 'mesh' - that it is no more than a way to manage multiple routers and APs by managing just one. Other systems I've used like Eero defne 'mesh' as much more aggressive AFA active handoff between nodes included.

I have compared AiMesh with other available home "mesh" systems on the market like Orbi, Eero and Deco and AiMesh quite far from the best. Perhaps Eero is the best one, followed closely by Deco and Orbi. The best I've seen so far is controller managed Omada. It beats all home "mesh" systems, better than UniFi and better than my 4x Ruckus AP system as well. Better in fast switching between the APs.

Also have 2 GT-AX6000s that I tried configuring as an AiMesh setup. I can confirm failure with the 2.5gb ports vs the 1gb ports when attempting wired backhaul. Could not maintain a stable connection for more than 24 hours. My solution was to go with AP mode for the second ax6000 and create a tagged (102) vlan in order to extend the 5ghz guest wifi to the AP node. Seems to work ok as long as I keep all the "client steering" stuff turned off, and I can use the 2.5gb ports to connect. We don't have a lot of clients "moving around" in our house so any sort of 'mesh' setup is of limited value vs plain old APs anyhow.
can you define your issue of stable connection? Are clients being dropped on the node? or just the node can't see the router/vice versa.

In the beginning, my iOS will be disconnected from WiFi if I move to another location that is further from one of the AP's it'll disconnect and reconnect. I'll see the 4G/LTE connection opposed to wifi.

For my network, the “old” eero Pro units have a far superior wifi mesh operation than any of the various Asus units I have tried in the past year.

I am still contemplating the Omada solution but the little I have played with it, it looks more involved than I really want at this time.

Yes, I have learned that about ASUS's version of 'mesh'

Not sure how Omada does it (no one will tell anyway), but the system is the closest to "seamless roaming" experience. There is no true seamless roaming with any system, but Omada is faster when tested with the same clients. Since the clients decide where to connect I can only guess the key is quality Qualcomm hardware they use with all 802.11k/v/r support and clever controller software tracking the clients plus fast dynamic Tx power adjustment of individual APs. How they do it with wireless mesh APs (also supported, but controller needed) - no idea. With no controller it works like any other multi-AP system. Business APs also have slightly directional radiation pattern and this perhaps helps as well. Ceiling mounted APs with clients moving between signal "spots" is much better than bunch of routers with omni-directional antennas on full power with some random placement. Good roaming is also achieved with multiple APs on low power and working on different channels. This is what I use in my business places with Cisco APs on 40MHz wide 5GHz channel and half with 2.4GHz disabled. I used to cluster the APs with auto configuration, but there is a better way depending on desired coverage area.

Asus AiMesh has none of the above, but user friendly and sells more routers with "mesh" as key word.

Does anyone know if using YazFi takes control from ASUS' implementation of Guest Wifi 1 & 2 and disable VLAN tagging?
I want to enable router's built-in VLAN of 501 and 502, but I also want to use YazFi to assign Guests a different DNS server. Is that possible?

Hi everyone,

I had similar issues when I first set up my GT-AX6000 as a node. What resolved it for me, was in the node settings having the Backhaul Connection Priority as WAN 2.5 G Only and the LAN 2.5G became usable. I also have Ethernet Backhaul Mode turned on in the Aimesh System settings.