What's new

GT-AX6000 throttling upload speeds??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Helder Santos

Regular Contributor
Hello,
Finally received my GT-AX6000 yesterday.
Upgraded to the latest Merlin firmware (388.2_2) and did some speedtests.

My ISP provider gives me 1.6Gbps/950Mbps
On my ax88u I was limited to 750Mbps/650Mbps

Now on my GT-Ax6000 I get 1.6Gbps DL but only 450Mbps UL
Is there a known issue with the 2.5G WAN port?

My plan is to redo a factory reset later today and retest...
But I'm a bit disappointed.

On my ax88u I was limited to 750Mbps/650Mbps
The AX88U is more than capable of achieving >900Mbps speeds assuming things like QoS and AiProtection are disabled. Heck, even my old RT-AC68U could do that. As far as I can see you never got to the bottom of what was causing your problem with the AX88U, so it's possible that the same problem has been carried over to your new router.

In fact... all I did last night...
1- Unplug cable from from ax88u WAN
2- Connect it to gt-ax6000 2.5G WAN
3- Unplug my PC ethernet cable from ax88u LAN
4- Connect it to gt-ax6000 LAN1 port
5- upgrade firmware to Merlin 388.2_2 on gt-ax6000
4- factory reset + reboot
5- speedtest

Nothing more... no other changes to config nothing else connected...
default values that come activated from Merlin

ISP Modem <-> gt-ax6000 <-> myPC

In fact... all I did last night...
1- Unplug cable from from ax88u WAN
2- Connect it to gt-ax6000 2.5G WAN
3- Unplug my PC ethernet cable from ax88u LAN
4- Connect it to gt-ax6000 LAN1 port
5- upgrade firmware to Merlin 388.2_2 on gt-ax6000
4- factory reset + reboot
5- speedtest

Nothing more... no other changes to config nothing else connected...
default values that come activated from Merlin

ISP Modem <-> gt-ax6000 <-> myPC
Similar issue as: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ard-site-to-site-on-2xax88u.82272/post-846537
Wonder if fc bypass have added your lan to bypass nat hw accelleration? It shouldnt unless you are using wireguard but maybe worth a check?

I have no such upload speeds to test.

Maybe try the latest stock firmware..I recall one version had some fixes for Verizons fiber upload.

Already discussed here. I am using the official firmware from Asus to solve this issue. About Merlin, we have to wait next release 388.4 (it is in Alpha test now).

I tried again today with more time today before noticing all your posts. I'll go read review all after this.

First I did an electrical reset first.
Then Factory reset. (under merlin 388.2_2)
basic setup... connected only my computer and even disabled WIFI

Under Merlin 388.2_2 I get 1600/350 1600/400

Redid a above steps... returned the router to Asus Official firmware GT-AX6000_3.0.0.6_102_21514
and got 1600/450 1600/500

Still shy from the 650Mbps I was getting from the ax88u
But better than Merlin.

Similar issue as: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...ard-site-to-site-on-2xax88u.82272/post-846537
Wonder if fc bypass have added your lan to bypass nat hw accelleration? It shouldnt unless you are using wireguard but maybe worth a check?
Thanks I'll go read the thread. About wireguard right now the gt-ax6000 is vanilla no wireguard or other thing running.

Maybe try the latest stock firmware..I recall one version had some fixes for Verizons fiber upload.
Yes I did rollback to GT-AX6000_3.0.0.6_102_21514 better...but still shy from the results.

Already discussed here. I am using the official firmware from Asus to solve this issue. About Merlin, we have to wait next release 388.4 (it is in Alpha test now).
I will go read about it. Thanks for the info.

I'll keep it like this for now. And probably will try to open a ticket with Asus. Could be an issue with my ISP (Bell).
We never know if this will help to find fixes like they did with verizon and other ISP's

Don’t think it’s bell as I had the exact same issue with bell Fibe in my house. Ended up making sure I did a full reset and used PPPOE pass through and all was well again with my ac68u at the time. Make sure that the WAN address you get is different from the bell hh 4000 or gigahub…read the article below all the way to the bottom which leads you to the second part should the first article not work
https://itnerd.blog/2022/07/31/how-to-configure-pppoe-bypass-on-the-bell-hh4000-hardware/

Don’t think it’s bell as I had the exact same issue with bell Fibe in my house. Ended up making sure I did a full reset and used PPPOE pass through and all was well again with my ac68u at the time. Make sure that the WAN address you get is different from the bell hh 4000 or gigahub…read the article below all the way to the bottom which leads you to the second part should the first article not work
https://itnerd.blog/2022/07/31/how-to-configure-pppoe-bypass-on-the-bell-hh4000-hardware/
I stumble on this article a few times and was tempted to try the setup with my ax88u.
But now with my new gt-ax6000 temptation just increased .
Thanks for the reminder

UPDATE:
Good news... All working great now!
Not even using DMZ... Just reapplied the Asus Firmware and basic config.

What I did do was:
A) Reboot ISP modem
B) Forced FULL DUPLEX + 2.5G instead of AUTO/AUTO
C) replaced cable between ISP modem and GT-AX6000

Before I was using a CAT6 cable and all working with the AX88U
Tried different CAT6 cables I had but no success.
Went to pick a CAT7 cable and the speeds worked right away

Now waiting for Merlin 388.4

Speedtestgtax6000.png

Last edited:
FYI I am using the AX6000 with Merlin 388.2_2_rog and am able to get my full speeds. Above 2G symmetrical fiber.

FYI I am using the AX6000 with Merlin 388.2_2_rog and am able to get my full speeds. Above 2G symmetrical fiber.
Strange I tried both 388.2_2 and 388_2_2_rog after I switched to CAT7 and changed the setting on the ISP modem still never got the Upload Speed I have right now.
But my ISP is not giving symmetrical speeds for the customers over 500Mbps. I only get 1600/950 package.

With me the problem is only with a particular combination of ONT (ZTE F6005) and Router (ASUS GT-AX6000), so only by updating the firmware of both devices I can get 2330 mbs in download and 480 mbs in upload (profiles 2500/500 mbs).