What's new

ax86u vs ax88u Pro vs GT-ax6000 vs GT-ax11000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Helder Santos

Regular Contributor
Since my ISP is providing 1.6Gbps/950Mbps I'm looking into replacing my ax88u with a router that has a 2.5G WAN port.

My actual setup is ISP -> AX88U -> aimesh -> AX88U

From the following models: ax86u vs ax88u Pro vs GT-ax6000 vs GT-ax11000
What would be the recommended one?

Before this scenario I tried using a 2.5G USB adapter without success. Speed stayed below 1Gbps.
This is why I'm planning to switch my main router.

Thanks

Higher bandwidth is not everything it is promised. You may be disappointed. If the AX88U works well for you keep it and don't spend extra for the bandwidth you do not use.
Anyway, the AX86U Pro is a good router. I use the 2.5 GB port for backhaul to the AX86U because it is an extra port and it works!

The best bang for the buck, hands down, is the GT-AX6000.

RT-AX86U (non Pro) and GT-AX11000 are an older CPU (1,8GHz) - choose one of CPU 2GHz.

Note that not all of them have 2 ports 2,5GbE - if you may need them, choose one with 2 ports 2,5G.
I was sure that those four had at least one 2.5Gbe
And yes it's a good idea to go with the 2Ghz CPU
Thanks for the advice

Higher bandwidth is not everything it is promised. You may be disappointed. If the AX88U works well for you keep it and don't spend extra for the bandwidth you do not use.
Anyway, the AX86U Pro is a good router. I use the 2.5 GB port for backhaul to the AX86U because it is an extra port and it works!
I'm happy with my ax88u... but not able to use the 1.6Gbps bandwidth from my ISP because of the 1GbE ports.

The best bang for the buck, hands down, is the GT-AX6000.
I was expecting that answer from you... spent some time yesterday reading after I posted this, ans you only have good word for it!

And until today... the GT-AX6000 is at 339$ at Newegg Canada Canada. While the ax86u (not pro) is 239$
Those are the best deals I found for the two units. There's also the ax88u Pro at 359$

And that $100 price difference evaporates quickly when you add in the 2.5GbE additional Port, and the fact that the RT-AX86U isn't getting any 3.0.0.6.xxx firmware updates at all (effectively dead, to me). Not to mention the better CPU, Radios, and the fact that 3+ years from now, that $100 or less price difference will be long forgotten (and worth more like a $300 price difference to me, today, given the above).

The thing to be aware of is to be able to use above 1 Gb speeds "ALL" connections need to be above 1 Gb capable. Does the ISP (supplied) modem have a 2.5g WAN port or just 1 GB? I ended up getting the AX6000 but I got it before the price drops so paid $400. It has a 2.G WAN port and one 2.5G LAN port which I then connect to a multi-port 2.5G switch. The 1 G ports on the AX6000 are basically unused except for one to my printer since it's LAN port is only 10/100.

I used to be on Comcast with their above 1g download speeds but now on AT&T 2g/2g symmetrical.

If you don't need port 2.5GbE for LAN or VLAN support, it's not worth paying extra 100$.
The thing to be aware of is to be able to use above 1 Gb speeds "ALL" connections need to be above 1 Gb capable. Does the ISP (supplied) modem have a 2.5g WAN port or just 1 GB? I ended up getting the AX6000 but I got it before the price drops so paid $400. It has a 2.G WAN port and one 2.5G LAN port which I then connect to a multi-port 2.5G switch.
The modem from my ISP has a 2.5Gbps port and my speed from the modem is 1.6Gbps/1Gbps
This is why I want to be able to share that speed to my network.
Right now I'm limited to 850/850

Last edited:
And that $100 price difference evaporates quickly when you add in the 2.5GbE additional Port, and the fact that the RT-AX86U isn't getting any 3.0.0.6.xxx firmware updates at all (effectively dead, to me). Not to mention the better CPU, Radios, and the fact that 3+ years from now, that $100 or less price difference will be long forgotten (and worth more like a $300 price difference to me, today, given the above).
Thanks for the firmware limitation was not aware of it.
And I understand on the long term the 100$ will be long forgotten!

The modem from my ISP has a 2.5Gbps port and my speed from the modem is 1.6Gbps/1Gbps
This is why I want to be able to share that speed to my network.
Right now I'm limited to 850/850
This was an issue many of us had with the Router manufacturers for a long time. It was easy to find a Wifi Router with a 2.5g WAN port but still only retained 1g LAN ports. So the wireless clients may see faster speeds but the wired clients will not. That is why the AX6000 was such an improvement when it first arrived. But the issue still remains with the rest of ones network for much higher costs for multi-gigabit switches. That cheap 10 port 1g switch has to now be replaced with an expensive 10 port multi-gig switch.

Thanks for the firmware limitation was not aware of it.
As I wrote, the new firmware applies to VLAN on selected models (Kids' Wi-Fi, VPN WiFi, IoT WiFi, Port isolation and AP isolation, Multi-services WAN).
RT-AX86U will probably continue to be supported (firmware updates) for a similar amount of time as GT-AX6000.
You have to evaluate what features you want.

This was an issue many of us had with the Router manufacturers for a long time. It was easy to find a Wifi Router with a 2.5g WAN port but still only retained 1g LAN ports. So the wireless clients may see faster speeds but the wired clients will not. That is why the AX6000 was such an improvement when it first arrived. But the issue still remains with the rest of ones network for much higher costs for multi-gigabit switches. That cheap 10 port 1g switch has to now be replaced with an expensive 10 port multi-gig switch.
On my LAN I already have a 16ports switch that supports 802.3ad which the port 1-2 port on the Asus also does... and it will answer my needs for speed.
I'll probably get a 5 port 2.gGbE later but for now if I can get maximum bandwith for the ISP I'll be happier. One step a the time.
Thanks for the feedback

One last thing...
How do they compare between the ax88u PRO vs the GT-AX6000?
They seem to have the same specs just the design is different.

The RT-AX88U Pro is worthy of testing, as it is a newer model and most likely with an updated SDK vs. the GT-AX6000.

In your position and for a mere $20 difference, I would buy and test both. And return the one that proves less stable/reliable for your environment.

What the GT-AX6000 has right now that the RT-AX88U Pro doesn't, is proven reliability, stability, and performance (I haven't seen a comparison between those two models).

Don't buy on specs. The sum/whole is always greater than the parts (both negatively and positively), and that specifically means that the whole package should be judged, not just the individual parts. There are many examples of this across all product lines.

The RT-AX88U Pro is worthy of testing, as it is a newer model and most likely with an updated SDK vs. the GT-AX6000.

What the GT-AX6000 has right now that the RT-AX88U Pro doesn't, is proven reliability, stability, and performance (I haven't seen a comparison between those two models).

Don't buy on specs.
I didn't buy yet...
But been reading and re-reading many review and specs and test... etc.
And made me realized that you are right... yes the AX88Upro is the newest but still many things to prove.
The gt-ax6000 doesn't. Both firmware wise are now the same from Asus... and both support Merlin.

Today... special is back... ax88u pro @ 299.99$ CAD and the gt-ax6000 @ 349.99$ CAD.
By the end of the week.... I'll probably have the GT-ax6000 at home. :)

Finally the gt-ax6000 will arrive monday!

By the way... In Canada The Source is selling like an new product! :)

Screenshot_20230630-191558.png

Small update.

The gt-ax6000 is an amazing choice. Been two weeks running on it.
And I'm impress. Thanks for the help on this!

And I agree with @L&LD it's the best bang for the buck!

May I ask you about the typical power consumption of these routers? It is not an unimportant point for me because the router is 24/7 online. I have read that the ax6000 consumes approx 13W idle, whereas my current rt 86u uses 9-10W. What about the others?