What's new

GT-Ax6000 use a LAN port as WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronzino

Occasional Visitor
I am evaluating to buy this router as I have two PCs with 2.5gbe, and this router has two 2.5gbe port.

I wonder, if I will use the two 2.5gbe ports for Lan is there a way to remap one of the four 1gbe ports to be used as a Wan?

I don't want to waste the 2.5gbe hybrid wan/LAN port since my isb just support 1gbit link speed,that is why I would like to keep both 2.5gbe port for Lan application and remap a 1gbe port to be used as Lan.

Is it possibile?

For devices with only one 2.5G port, I can confirm that you can use that port as a LAN.
1.PNG
I think, Asuswrt allows you to use any LAN port as WAN, so I believe the AX6000 supports this.
But it's better to buy a 2.5G switch to fully utilize your 1 Gbps and 2.5G LAN.

Last edited:
For devices with only one 2.5G port, I can confirm that you can use that port as a LAN.
View attachment 40858
I think, Asuswrt allows you to use any LAN port as WAN, so I believe the AX6000 supports this.
But it's better to buy a 2.5G switch to fully utilize your 1 Gbps and 2.5G LAN.
I think that Dual Wan will not solve my question because implies simulation use of 2.5g Wan plus a LAN. Instead I would like to have just one Wan but at 1gb.

Yes I know that with i switch I will solve the problem but 5port 2.5gbe cost quite a lot, 5 times more than 1gbit version

Just purchase GT-AX6000, there is no option to SET LAN as WAN. i wish it could in the later update

so i can utilize two 2.5Gb lan port at the same time.

Just purchase GT-AX6000, there is no option to SET LAN as WAN. i wish it could in the later update

so i can utilize two 2.5Gb lan port at the same time.
I have not buoght this yet but please try do to the following acording to the cryptic "Yota" member reply.

Go to dual WAN menu. Yes I know that you want not to use a dual WAN but please do the following.
If you enable dual wan, than you can choose LAN ports for WAN and also USB port.

So what you should try to do is select a one WAN port on USB (primary WAN) and so it will fall back on secondary WAN and for this you can specify a standard LAN port.

Lets try if works and let me know please, as I would like to do the same, but i wish to know if this work before buying this device

2022-04-25 11_43_37-ASUS Wireless Router GT-AX6000 - Dual WAN and 1 more page - Work - Microso...png

i have tried when i received it immediately, Unfortunately , WAN port must be part of the DUAL WAN config, LAN+USB is not allowed. Therefore TWO 2.5G LAN is not feasible at this moment

I have not buoght this yet but please try do to the following acording to the cryptic "Yota" member reply.

Go to dual WAN menu. Yes I know that you want not to use a dual WAN but please do the following.
If you enable dual wan, than you can choose LAN ports for WAN and also USB port.

So what you should try to do is select a one WAN port on USB (primary WAN) and so it will fall back on secondary WAN and for this you can specify a standard LAN port.

Lets try if works and let me know please, as I would like to do the same, but i wish to know if this work before buying this device

Mmmm I wonder if something can be done using console access and remapping interface. Have you tried to ask to RMerlin directly if he can support us?

There is another thing to try. I have read that technique about ax68u both I don't know if it works.

Ax68u support Wan link aggregation using 2 1gbit port. I don't know if ax6000 has this feature too, but you can try to enable it sacrifing two lan port and connect just one to Wan, so it should work in degradation mode

@RMerlin Hi Merlin, Do you think is it possible to swap Giga LAN as WAN and 2.5G WAN as a LAN for GT-AX6000 so we can get Two 2.5G LAN ultimately ?

There is another thing to try. I have read that technique about ax68u both I don't know if it works.

Ax68u support Wan link aggregation using 2 1gbit port. I don't know if ax6000 has this feature too, but you can try to enable it sacrifing two lan port and connect just one to Wan, so it should work in degradation mode

Sorry, failed. WAN aggregation require WAN port as part of the LINK , same as DUAL WAN features.

I am evaluating to buy this router as I have two PCs with 2.5gbe, and this router has two 2.5gbe port.

I wonder, if I will use the two 2.5gbe ports for Lan is there a way to remap one of the four 1gbe ports to be used as a Wan?

I don't want to waste the 2.5gbe hybrid wan/LAN port since my isb just support 1gbit link speed,that is why I would like to keep both 2.5gbe port for Lan application and remap a 1gbe port to be used as Lan.

Is it possibile?
Even with 1 Gbps ISP connection, you are better off using 2.5 Gbps port for WAN as long as modem has 2.5 Gbps port. I have 1 Gbps/35 Mbps Spectrum service, and my average speed test results are 950 Mbps/39 Mbps. In successive upgrades from RT-AX88U (1 Gbps WAN) to RT-AT86U (single 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN) to GT-AX6000 (2.5 Gbps WAN/2.5 Gbps LAN with faster CPU), my download averages went from 550 Mbps to 700 Mbps to 950 Mbps — uploads remained consistent for all three routers.

Was a full reset performed after flashing RMerlin firmware (possibly required multiple times), before testing, above?

Was a full reset performed after flashing RMerlin firmware (possibly required multiple times), before testing, above?

Sorry, i dont get it. May i know what is the different you expect after mutiples time reset ? a new option to allow swapping wan to lan / lan to wan?

@RMerlin Hi Merlin, Do you think is it possible to swap Giga LAN as WAN and 2.5G WAN as a LAN for GT-AX6000 so we can get Two 2.5G LAN ultimately ?
I don't know. I generally don't touch the low level switch configuration, since it's partly closed source, and I have no documentation on how to configure it.

@gordonho, was a full reset performed at all after flashing RMerlin firmware? This is most likely required coming from stock to RMerlin firmware today.

Many examples in the forums where a single reset didn't get the router back to a good/known state. But repeated resets did. Some options/settings and possible hardware interactions seem to require more than a single reset to 'take'. I've done the same to many RT-AC86Us that continue to work properly since doing so.

I don't expect new features to (suddenly) pop up, no. But if the feature/possibility is there, allowing the firmware to see/utilize the expected variables often has shown different options than what was first apparent when merely flashing the new firmware without a full reset.

I don't know. I generally don't touch the low level switch configuration, since it's partly closed source, and I have no documentation on how to configure it.

Thank you. No problem at all. Thank you for your 10 years effort. I really appreciate all the work you have done.

@gordonho, was a full reset performed at all after flashing RMerlin firmware? This is most likely required coming from stock to RMerlin firmware today.

Many examples in the forums where a single reset didn't get the router back to a good/known state. But repeated resets did. Some options/settings and possible hardware interactions seem to require more than a single reset to 'take'. I've done the same to many RT-AC86Us that continue to work properly since doing so.

I don't expect new features to (suddenly) pop up, no. But if the feature/possibility is there, allowing the firmware to see/utilize the expected variables often has shown different options than what was first apparent when merely flashing the new firmware without a full reset.

As i have no stability issue on the Merlin, i am not going to reset my router. it's will take so mach time to redo everything
Instead, i am going to submit a request ticket to ASUS , see if they can add this feature to GT-AX6000.
Two 2.5G LAN feature should be a quite attractive to potential customer

Your call of course, but I don't believe you're getting everything out of your router as you should be (without a full reset after flashing from stock to RMerlin).