What's new

GT-AX6000 vs GT-AXE16000 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well the 16000 is listed for sale in the Asus shop now. The first time I clicked the "Buy" link it would not add it to my cart and it now shows only "Notify Me" instead. So they either haven't added stock yet, or else they did and it's gone already. Oh well.
Looks like a price increase to $699.99 too.

I saw that too but when you click on the “buy” tab the price shows $649.99. Not sure which one is the correct price though. Either way it’s a ridiculous price point.

Call me skeptical but I have a feeling this router will disappoint like the GT-AXE11000….. especially firmware wise.

Yeah...if they've gone to demand pricing, that's not cool. They do say on the first page a price "starting at" $649.99, so they're covered, I guess...well, they used to anyways. They've now changed the price on both pages to "starting at" $699.99. Sorta sucks since they've been advertising it at $649.99 all along. I'm going to keep checking Amazon and the other e-tailers to see if it shows up, and at what price.

I saw that too but when you click on the “buy” tab the price shows $649.99. Not sure which one is the correct price though. Either way it’s a ridiculous price point.
The price point of $649 is appropriate. $699 is pushing it. And it's $699.99 on the page directly linking the router:

Yeah...if they've gone to demand pricing, that's not cool. They do say on the first page a price "starting at" $649.99, so they're covered, I guess...well, they used to anyways. They've now changed the price on both pages to "starting at" $699.99. Sorta sucks since they've been advertising it at $649.99 all along. I'm going to keep checking Amazon and the other e-tailers to see if it shows up, and at what price.
Please see above. And me too.

I was going to purchase the AXE16000 directly from ASUS or Amazon but I think I will wait it out until it hits Best Buy like @lilstone87 - so I can use my BB Visa card and get the total price financed (0% interest) over 18 months. Way easier to stomach than paying $770 w/ taxes upfront.

Also I really hope Asus delivers on this router. I’ve had the AXE11000 last year and most recently the AX6000 and both were terrible in my environment, especially with my Apple products. I stream my TV (YouTube TV) and with these 2 Asus routers it would always buffer including terrible speeds. Others have mentioned similar experience so I know it’s not just an isolated case on my part.

I’ve been using the Netgear RAXE500 for the past 9 months and it’s been outstanding. I know Netgear gets a lot of hate here, some deserved, but the Nighthawk AXE11000 has been an absolute beast and I get zero buffering and blistering speeds on my Apple products.

However something keeps bringing me back to the Asus ROG series but this will be the absolute final time IF they don’t deliver. Seems to me that their firmware is the issue. And yes I tried RMerlin fw on the AX6000 but it performed no better in my testing than stock Asus fw.

Sorry for the long rant I’m a sucker for the “latest and greatest” toys and I guess I am just frustrated with Asus recent premium offerings.

@Poseidon, I don't consider your post a rant after my experience with 2x GT-AX6000s (to possibly replace my 2x RT-AX86Us). I have them installed right now, but will be returning them if I don't have a chance this weekend to clear the hurdles I'm facing (most notably, lower speeds than my previous standards). I'm not too surprised actually with such a small bump to the hardware specs, but I am disappointed (for now).

While a single GT-AX6000 is faster than a single RT-AX86U, two of them are not living up to my previous setup. I've grown quite used to having 1Gbps speeds everywhere in the house with the 2x RT-AX86Us with wired (2.5GbE) backhaul, and the 2x GT-AX6000s simply can't touch them.

Same here, lower speeds, higher latency (19-20ms instead of 13-15ms)
limited and instable range. Spend hours on testing the bands, but even when not fighting over freqs the performance is mediocre at best.
my RT-AC5300 is the better AC router and the AX86u the better wifi 6 router.
the 2.gb mesh backhaul works, but that’s about the only positive thing I can think off.
to top things off. The 386.6 branch is different than the 352.2, which means that half of the entware dependent AMTM scripts don’t work, as they need updating.
Not impressed so far. I hoped for the AX version of the AC5300, which served me well for the last 5 years. But it’s nothing like that.

I'm on the fence about upgrading to the 16000 too. My RT-AX89X is performing great and already has two 10 gig ports, yet it's "only" dual band and no 6E. Maybe I'll wait until Merlin comes out (or doesn't) for the 16000 before I do it.

Funny thing, many complain about the slow, infrequent updates to the RT-AX89X stock firmware. Right now its firmware is newer/a later revision than what is available for the GT-AX11000.

I feel a lot of us are excited for the AXE16000 releasing, however as we all know it's going to be a very expensive router. The most important thing is, this router will likely have some issues for 3-6 months, until software updates smooth some things out. So if you're looking for a router to just perform right off the bat. I honestly suggest staying away from it, until things mature some with the software.

As for Merlin's support, that answer will come when he decides to speak on it. I do think there's a good chance he does support it, as he has started supporting a couple of Asus's GT routers. I think the biggest thing will be, Asus sending Merlin one of them, so he can add his support for it. Which I feel there's a good chance Asus supplies Merlin with this router, if he wants to support it. As I'm guessing they sent him ZenWiFi Pro XT12, that he recently added support for, and that's a costly product itself.

Overall for everyone on the fence about getting the AXE16000. I would just suggest waiting a bit, then decide. Unless you just got money to spend, and don't care if you have to wait a few months for the software to mature. Which in my case, is something I'm willing to do. I don't mind giving it some time, and I have a backup router I can use if needed for a few months. Ultimately once this router has had several months to mature with its software, if there's still big issues, I will return it, and look at something else.

I'm on the fence about upgrading to the 16000 too. My RT-AX89X is performing great and already has two 10 gig ports, yet it's "only" dual band and no 6E. Maybe I'll wait until Merlin comes out (or doesn't) for the 16000 before I do it.

Funny thing, many complain about the slow, infrequent updates to the RT-AX89X stock firmware. Right now its firmware is newer/a later revision than what is available for the GT-AX11000.

The latest AX89X firmwave gave me a good wireless speed bump, verifiable with repeated speed tests, +10% more!
It is all good with AX89X if you can get it at discounted.
16000 is probably for those whose area is affected by DFS 160MHZ, losing that double channel bandwith methinks, provided they accept that the firmware as usual needs 6 months or more to sort it. It does looks like companies do not pay enough for engineers in their router dibision.
In fact! Does 16000 lower counts of external antenna per radios, hampers wireless?

With the excitement and members Raring To Go regarding the AXE16000, I was expecting someone (or two) to be posting/boasting about their new router, and picking at "you know who" about his fw, surprising.
My AX6000 is operating smoothly, and zero complaints from The Family!

With the excitement and members Raring To Go regarding the AXE16000, I was expecting someone (or two) to be posting/boasting about their new router, and picking at "you know who" about his fw, surprising.

Kinda hard to when it's not available yet Still, outside the lucky few that got an order in at amazon.

@Tundy Mundy That sounds like quitter talk :)

We're talking SNB Forum Members, and I expected to be reading about their experiences with the coveted GT-AXE16000 (and the hopefully announced RMerlin FW), so I can justify the outrageous cost.
EDIT:
The upgrading of my home LAN from gig to 2.5Gbe is proving to be costly, when doing large portions at a single time.

Can you install unbound via AMTM?
I have to say, mine starts to settle as well. better than the first couple of days

@Raphie
I am sure that you can install whichever scripts amtm state are available, if you notice my sig, I only utilize a small portion of the increasing list of amtm supported scripts. I upgraded from an AC86 and the router was capable, yet struggled under the heavy Family use and many scripts. This AX6000 has definitely been a positive upgrade for our environment.

EDIT: I just found Raphie's Thread I don't think there is any reason Unbound (via amtm) won't work.

Last edited:
My question was not if it supports scripts in general. i’ve mentioned Diversion and Skynet are fine, but Unbound installer script is broken. Please actually test (install unbound) and report if it works or not. Blanket statements are not helping anyone.

Router is up for "backorder" on Newegg:

https://www.newegg.com/asus-gt-axe1...with-802-11a-b-g-n-ac-wi-fi/p/N82E16833320526

Not sure how it can be backordered considering it never actually launched, but at least it's something for those of us who want to essentially pre-order it.

I placed an order the instant it was available. The emails indicate it's a preorder. I think it's just a bug on the product listing that it's "back-order". 5/26 isn't too far away.

I'm going to wait for Amazon or the Asus shop, or one of the other e-tailers mentioned by Asus on Reddit. I've been burned by Newegg on other orders in the past. Won't give Newegg another cent of my money. Not saying that it'd happen this time, but now that we know a projected release date, it's pretty likely that it'll go live in the Asus store, Amazon, B&H, and maybe Microcenter at approx. the same time frame. I can hold out.

I've been burned by Newegg on other orders in the past.
I haven't bought anything from newegg in a little while. Overall I have never had an issue with buying stuff from them. My biggest annoyance is Amazon on higher cost items. As I have had them take like 2 days to process an order before they shipped it, a couple times. Yet I know the bank quickly approved the transaction. That's a big no for me. I don't appreciate any order taking multiple days to process, especially if there isn't an issue with the payment, it's just Amazon's slow ways of preventing fraudulent type orders.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!