What's new

GT-AX6000 vs RT-AX86U ??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yes, using PPPoE to by pass the Gigahub, but had to contact bell on their forum to push a firmware update to my modem to ver. 1.15.1. Any firmware before this one PPPoE will not work.
I still have the HH3000 with my 1.5 service and this is the reason I bought the Hellotek media converter.

Looks like Best Buy is sold out online and at stores near my home.

I still have the HH3000 with my 1.5 service and this is the reason I bought the Hellotek media converter.

Looks like Best Buy is sold out online and at stores near my home.
Where are you at? I reserved one at bestbuy just in case they did not agree to price match. I am in Ottawa

Where are you at? I reserved one at bestbuy just in case they did not agree to price match. I am in Ottawa
Thanks.

I'm in Toronto. I'll drop by a couple of BB stores in my area since I need to run some errands.

If I can't find one in a store, I can order from Staples.ca and use a $10 coupon to bring the price down to match BB's price.

Forum Link

The above link by @Tech9 made me smile!
He recommends the GT-AX6000 AND never mentions the looks.

EDIT: I smiled because @Tech9 always comments on not liking the GT-AX6000 looks, and he finally posted without commenting on the looks.

Last edited:
He recommends the GT-AX6000 AND never mentions the looks.
Quite honestly, the GT-AX6000 look isn't that bad. It's a rectangle with four antennas at its corners. It's certainly not as unusual as the tri-band models, or as... weird? as the RT-AX68U.

My personal favorite to this day remains the Lyra Trio, followed by the RT-AC68U. The diamond pattern of the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U were nice too, combined with their small size.

Why do you need a router to look good? I agree it is ugly! But it is not a piece of furniture, that is why it is sitting on a shelf in the laundry room!
The issue is that @Tech9 has, until now, commented on not appreciating the aesthetics of the GT-AX6000 (he said it was ugly :().
Zero Issues w/ either of my current RMerlin running devices!
And why do you have electronics in a laundry room? I would try to isolate any dust (lint), and moisture from all my mission critical electronics.

Last edited:
Hi to everyone!
Nice to meet you! This is my 1st post. I would really appreciate it if you could share your bufferbloat results from waveform and other sites with the GT-AX6000 as I am thinking of buying it. I'm more interested in the Unloaded result.
Thanks a lot!

Hi to everyone!
Nice to meet you! This is my 1st post. I would really appreciate it if you could share your bufferbloat results from waveform and other sites with the GT-AX6000 as I am thinking of buying it. I'm more interested in the Unloaded result.
Thanks a lot!
buffer.png

Result

The issue is that @Tech9 has, until now, commented on not appreciating the aesthetics of the GT-AX6000 (he said it was ugly :().
Zero Issues w/ either of my current RMerlin running devices!
And why do you have electronics in a laundry room? I would try to isolate any dust (lint), and moisture from all my mission critical electronics.
That is where the builder decided to have all connections terminate! Zero issues after 5 years :)

This is correct, but I don't have an issue with it - no plans of getting one. I may get one AX86U Pro to play with next year.
I have an AX86U Pro on the way.

You know how I like to play.... :)

I have an AX86U Pro on the way.

You know how I like to play.... :)

Well, it looks like I will be sending back the AX86U-Pro next week.

Yea, big surprise :) :)

The one recurring issue with Asus is their wifi simply does not work as reliably on "MY" network as the old eero Pro units I have.

I wonder if the Qualcomm radios in the eero Pro is the reason for this. ??

The AC86U and my old Asus AC1900P ( now on loan to a neighbor) work pretty good, but alas, look to be "obsolete" before too much longer.

TBH, even the new eero wifi 6 units do not work as reliably for me as the older eero Pro. I have tried the eero Pro 6 and finally sold them to a friend who loves them.

The big difference is I have a LOT of 2.4g IoT devices that obviously do not play well with the newer wifi units.

My current setup of TP-Link ER605 v2 and 2 eero Pro in a wireless mesh just "work".

I was hoping to move off of cloud controlled equipment, hence my trying to stay with Asus.

I even toyed with the idea of using the AX86U Pro as just a router and then using the eero Pros in bridge mode for the wifi. This seemed like a waste of the AX86U Pro so I abandoned that idea.

The other positive is the eero Pro are the only eero units that work great with the Firewalla Simple mode of the Blue Plus unit. I know it uses ARP "poisoning" but so far, it is working great. The plus side is if the FWB+ dies, my network will continue to function.

The FWB+ handles my VPN client requirements perfectly and does a very good job of AD blocking for our Apple products and laptops. It also does DoH very nicely.

Anyway, I will continue to visit as I enjoy the forum and following everyone's SNB journeys.

PS- I am keeping my two AC86U units as they have no resale value and who knows, I may be able to use them for something. :)

Yea, big surprise :) :)

The one recurring issue with Asus is their wifi simply does not work as reliably on "MY" network as the old eero Pro units I have.

I wonder if the Qualcomm radios in the eero Pro is the reason for this. ??

The AC86U and my old Asus AC1900P ( now on loan to a neighbor) work pretty good, but alas, look to be "obsolete" before too much longer.

TBH, even the new eero wifi 6 units do not work as reliably for me as the older eero Pro. I have tried the eero Pro 6 and finally sold them to a friend who loves them.

The big difference is I have a LOT of 2.4g IoT devices that obviously do not play well with the newer wifi units.

My current setup of TP-Link ER605 v2 and 2 eero Pro in a wireless mesh just "work".

I was hoping to move off of cloud controlled equipment, hence my trying to stay with Asus.

I even toyed with the idea of using the AX86U Pro as just a router and then using the eero Pros in bridge mode for the wifi. This seemed like a waste of the AX86U Pro so I abandoned that idea.

The other positive is the eero Pro are the only eero units that work great with the Firewalla Simple mode of the Blue Plus unit. I know it uses ARP "poisoning" but so far, it is working great. The plus side is if the FWB+ dies, my network will continue to function.

The FWB+ handles my VPN client requirements perfectly and does a very good job of AD blocking for our Apple products and laptops. It also does DoH very nicely.

Anyway, I will continue to visit as I enjoy the forum and following everyone's SNB journeys.

PS- I am keeping my two AC86U units as they have no resale value and who knows, I may be able to use them for something. :)

Could always try a Synology RT6600AX with it's "Gen2" 810 Qualcomm platform, granted, it may not be worth the expense.

Can't beat multiple Access Points/Routers.

Just got back from Cancun and on the beach there counting the palm tree leaves above me I have decided to stop wasting my time testing Asus routers. The firmware is extremely buggy for what I expected to see after 10 years of Asuswrt development and the product marketing includes enormous amount of falsely advertised features. There is a big list of broken or not working properly features for years and every new firmware fixes one thing and breaks another. This statement tells me from now on all Asuswrt bugs will be migrated to Asuswrt-Merlin plus whatever is broken on top from the open + closed source mix. Reporting bugs to Asus is like throwing a bottle mail in the ocean. Reporting bugs here is like entering football fans club while wearing another team T-shirt.

AC86U is going for recycling tomorrow. AX86U will stay until I decide what to do with it.

Well crap, eero pushed out another update and yes, you guessed it, it broke my smooth running network.

I give up. I put my old trusty RT-AC86U back online and my network is back up.

The good thing, the AC86U was still setup so it was just a plug and play operation.

I am just staying with the AC86U even if Asus is “leaving it behind”. This thing just works.

Just got back from Cancun and on the beach there counting the palm tree leaves above me I have decided to stop wasting my time testing Asus routers. The firmware is extremely buggy for what I expected to see after 10 years of Asuswrt development and the product marketing includes enormous amount of falsely advertised features. There is a big list of broken or not working properly features for years and every new firmware fixes one thing and breaks another. This statement tells me from now on all Asuswrt bugs will be migrated to Asuswrt-Merlin plus whatever is broken on top from the open + closed source mix. Reporting bugs to Asus is like throwing a bottle mail in the ocean. Reporting bugs here is like entering football fans club while wearing another team T-shirt.

AC86U is going for recycling tomorrow. AX86U will stay until I decide what to do with it.
But after 90 days I know of no way to report a bug to netgear..there firmware seems abandonware in some regards.

I guess me
Well crap, eero pushed out another update and yes, you guessed it, it broke my smooth running network.

I give up. I put my old trusty RT-AC86U back online and my network is back up.

The good thing, the AC86U was still setup so it was just a plug and play operation.

I am just staying with the AC86U even if Asus is “leaving it behind”. This thing just works.

Eero you can't turn off auto update? Can you choose the time they restart your network? Seems crazy to me..even my phone I can delay when my phone carrier applies an update. I do some late night work so having my home network update even at night or early morning is not an option for me.

Eero you can't turn off auto update? Can you choose the time they restart your network? Seems crazy to me..even my phone I can delay when my phone carrier applies an update. I do some late night work so having my home network update even at night or early morning is not an option for me.
No, no way to disable or schedule the updates. This a THE major complaint of eero users. For the most part they work pretty good.

But lately, they, like other wifi router manufacturers are focused on making the “latest and greatest” wifi to garner more sales. In doing so, they often create problems for older units.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!