What's new

GT-AXE11000 AiMesh issue with prior version of AiMesh Nodes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aididhaiqal

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

First of all I know that this is not the "Official" communication channel to report about AiMesh / Asus related problem.

Device used:
  1. GT-AXE11000 (AiMesh router)
  2. GT-AX11000 (AiMesh Node)
  3. 3 x AX92U (AiMesh Node)
#Problem 1
5Ghz-2 Band for AX11000 and AX92U is not correctly configured.

When using the Wifi6 device as nodes with the Wifi6e as router, I lost the capability to configure the second 5Ghz band. Some settings seems to be copied from 5Ghz-1 (Or maybe 6Ghz) correctly such as wifi name, password, security type. However there is no option to configure the channel and even channel width be it via Web GUI or the nvram directly. I did some research on why is this happening and it's seems likely because of Asus is using wl2_* for both 6Ghz band (On AXE11000) and 5Ghz-2 (On the AX11000).

In ny opinion, Asus should let us able to configure both band of 5Ghz independently (Not cloning settings of the other band) if they want people to start adding the new Wifi 6E router to our current ecosystem. The only way to have AiMesh to even work with Wifi6E router now is to establish a Ethernet Backhaul (This is Problem 2)

#Problem 2
Dedicated Wireless Backhaul configuration is not available at all.

On AXE11000, Asus currently seems to only consider the 6Ghz band as the DWB option, they offered ability to use it as fronthaul vs frointhaul + backhaul connection and I do see this as good option as it may allow us to show 6Ghz band to client while still be able to use it for AiMesh.

However the big problem is with previous generations router (Wifi 6), currently as there is no setting to configure DWB whatsoever, in my case the node is looking for inexistent dedicated DWB wifi network (In my case it would be The Internet_dwb), I can see via wifi explorer that the node 5Ghz-2 changed to hidden network (Which is expected for AiMesh) but the SSID would not be correct as it follows the 6Ghz SSID. So my node being unable to find dedicated 5Ghz DWB network, it decide to connect to 2.4 Ghz network.

I do understand that GT-AXE11000 if fairly new released device and surely there is kinks that needed to be worked off, however Asus started to push more AXE router into the market and not able to work with device that is released earlier would most likely defeat one of AiMesh purpose of being able to add any Asus router (In working condition) to the mesh network.

If there is any Asus representative here, I'm available to provide more details or even help in making things to work.

IMG_ABBDE376BF53-1.jpeg

(Still working on deploying the third AX92U node)

You need to use the feedback form within the router's GUI (stock firmware).

Nobody from Asus is here to help.

Ac

Actually I did do that before,

All I got was, try reset and add again, restart and all the basic troubleshooting guide which isn’t actually helping.

There is nothing else to do then. Unless you can return it for something that works better.

On my AXE11000 (on current Asus firmware) I see a note saying that now 6ghz is dedicated to Wireless backhaul. I find this amusing as I doubt very many people will be buying two or more AXE11000s to use wireless backhaul. I didn't realize that the AXE11000 was really "bleeding edge". I have another post where I rant for the price it should be a 4 band router. If you use the AXE11000 in a mesh it will default to 6ghz Wireless backhaul and your other nodes (most likely) will be either dual band or tri-band but on 5ghz, Looks like you need to go with wired backhaul unless Asus gives us more options into how AIMESH or at least the backhaul works. For example for distance (without two 6ghz units), you might want a node to be on 2.4 ghz as backhaul (farthest out as possible) and have the device to router use 5ghz. I know you would take a speed hit but some people might accept this to maximize the range/distance on their nodes (on older hardware). Especially since most older mesh nodes are ac, and it will be some time before we see a mix of ax and axe units widespread as (hand me down) nodes. I mean reusing you older hardware as a aimed node is one of the reasons that people stick with Asus.

On my AXE11000 (on current Asus firmware) I see a note saying that now 6ghz is dedicated to Wireless backhaul. I find this amusing as I doubt very many people will be buying two or more AXE11000s to use wireless backhaul. I didn't realize that the AXE11000 was really "bleeding edge". I have another post where I rant for the price it should be a 4 band router. If you use the AXE11000 in a mesh it will default to 6ghz Wireless backhaul and your other nodes (most likely) will be either dual band or tri-band but on 5ghz, Looks like you need to go with wired backhaul unless Asus gives us more options into how AIMESH or at least the backhaul works. For example for distance (without two 6ghz units), you might want a node to be on 2.4 ghz as backhaul (farthest out as possible) and have the device to router use 5ghz. I know you would take a speed hit but some people might accept this to maximize the range/distance on their nodes (on older hardware). Especially since most older mesh nodes are ac, and it will be some time before we see a mix of ax and axe units widespread as (hand me down) nodes. I mean reusing you older hardware as a aimed node is one of the reasons that people stick with Asus.
Kinda agreed on AXE11000 being very bleeding edge. What's your setup looks like?

I'm having a set of XT8 come over tomorrow and plan to try make it work wirelessly (Current plan is to figure a way to have it connected to the AX node that is wired to AXE)

Kinda agreed on AXE11000 being very bleeding edge. What's your setup looks like?

I have not updated my sig, the AXE11000 is main, note I am down one antenna (on list to attempt repair) not sure if it’s the née 6ghz antenna or the older combined 2.4ghz / 5ghz type. Side not love the dummying down / harder to repair FCC rules on antennas for WIFI6e devices. I understand there intent but expect to see a bunch of grey market devices with one or missing antennas. Note this is the only reason I even have ve the axe11000.

the axe11000 is main , with 3100 and two 68u models as nodes. I also got worse 5ghz speed then when I had a netgear X6S as primary and just the 68us as access points. I also have the smaller Zen WiFi ax mini three pack on the way. Right now everything is wireless back haul. Will add the ax zen units as WiFi aimesh nodes ( I have a larger house three floors and basement and two outbuildings). Eventually move nodes to Ethernet back haul except for outbuildings.

Last edited:
I have not updated my sig, the AXE11000 is main, note I am down one antenna (on list to attempt repair) not sure if it’s the née 6ghz antenna or the older combined 2.4ghz / 5ghz type. Side not love the dummying down / harder to repair FCC rules on antennas for WIFI6e devices. I understand there intent but expect to see a bunch of grey market devices with one or missing antennas. Note this is the only reason I gave the axe11000.

the axe11000 is main , with 3100 and two 68u models as nodes. I also got worse 5ghz speed then when I had a netgear X6S as primary and just the 68us as access points. I also have the smaller Zen WiFi ax mini three pack on the way. Right now everything is wireless back haul. Will add the ax zen units as WiFi aimesh nodes ( I have a larger house three floors and basement and two outbuildings). Eventually move nodes to Ethernet back haul except for outbuildings.
Is your wireless backhaul is on the 5Ghz band or 2.4Ghz?

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 6.12.42 PM.png

Seems like you can still do wireless backhaul reliably with one condition, you have triband wifi 6 node that is wired to the axe router

??? Wired is not wireless backhaul. ???

That makes no sense. It can only be one or the other.

Is your wireless backhaul is on the 5Ghz band or 2.4Ghz?
5ghz to all nodes. Usually all direct to the AXE-11000, sometimes the third floor unit will WiFi daisy chain to 2nd floor first.

View attachment 36354

Seems like you can still do wireless backhaul reliably with one condition, you have triband wifi 6 node that is wired to the axe router
Your 4 ax nodes, totally surpass my older WiFi 5 ac units. Even with my Zen ax upgrade coming it will be only a dual band unit not the additional 3 band units you have shown.

Your 4 ax nodes, totally surpass my older WiFi 5 ac units. Even with my Zen ax upgrade coming it will be only a dual band unit not the additional 3 band units you have shown.
I deployed my Zen ax minis today. I didn’t realize that they had beta firmware (previous newest release) when I deployed them with one new unit in wired backhaul mode. When I disconnected it the mesh network performance tanked. Only later did I realize the firmware was beta. Now on current firmware , but I couldn’t get the mesh to work without one in wired backhaul (on beta). Lunch was over so I didn’t troubleshoot further. Overall network is faster but no where near optimal. Plan on upgrading to wired backhaul after I run cat 6. If I make any changes before then I will post an update. At present the 6ghz channel is off (no clients or nodes) and I disabled 160mhz. Note the other two old nodes are there they just don’t display in that view in the app.

Attachments

• D9715C37-838F-4833-9CEC-247F42E28CB8.jpeg
    D9715C37-838F-4833-9CEC-247F42E28CB8.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 109
I deployed my Zen ax minis today. I didn’t realize that they had beta firmware (previous newest release) when I deployed them with one new unit in wired backhaul mode. When I disconnected it the mesh network performance tanked. Only later did I realize the firmware was beta. Now on current firmware , but I couldn’t get the mesh to work without one in wired backhaul (on beta). Lunch was over so I didn’t troubleshoot further. Overall network is faster but no where near optimal. Plan on upgrading to wired backhaul after I run cat 6. If I make any changes before then I will post an update. At present the 6ghz channel is off (no clients or nodes) and I disabled 160mhz. Note the other two old nodes are there they just don’t display in that view in the app.
Hopefully your setup is doing good for you!

For me, my house is pretty isolated in the neighbourhood and there's barely any 5 ghz network showing up inside wifi scanner. So I decided to run the 5Ghz-2 band on 160Mhz and it served it purpose very well. All node (Wired and wireless) is capable of giving me my ISP speed.

This setup has been working well with of course some minor problem like I listed. If ASUS managed to fix that, I can say their ecosystem is definitely great

My network is acting up , dropping nodes that can never be reconnected. I move the mini xd4 closer to the main router and reset and re-added them. Going to hardwire whenever my monoprice order (currently in new warehouse limbo) comes in. Since I work from home picked up an ac5300 as a backup plan.

Without the 4th 5ghz/2.4 antenna this router fails hard as wireless master and node.

I downgraded to ASUS ac5300 on latest Merlin and waiting on a new cable to repair the axe-11000 before placing it back in to service as a node.

I know it is overkill as a node but until I have 6ghz hardware this router is just awaiting its future as the potential main router.

Without axe clients this is a four antenna 2.4/5ghz router. If 5ghz is used fir backhaul (as a node) then the clients are on 2.4ghz. As a master I hope it will fair better when the antenna is fixed.

The only other current use scenario I could potentially see is if all nodes to this as master used Ethernet backhaul.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!