What's new

GT-AXE11000 hits the FCC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The reason why you only see 12 channels because you have PSC (Preferred Scanning Channel) enabled. If you turn it off, you will see more channels. Like this.
It appears that the GT-AXE doesn't support channels 6GHz channels 1-29, or 225-233, only allowing us 12 80MHz wide channels and 6 160MHZ channels, instead of 14 and 7 respectively.

Thank you. One of my laptops has a CNVi card, I wonder if thats upgradable to the AX210

The AX211 will be the CNVi 6E card, when available. In one of my computers I replaced my my AX201 with the AX210 without any issues. I believe you can revert back from a CNVi adapter but not the other way around.

Last edited:
It appears that the GT-AXE doesn't support channels 6GHz channels 1-29, or 225-233, only allowing us 12 80MHz wide channels and 6 160MHZ channels, instead of 14 and 7 respectively.

The AX211 will be the CNVi 6E card, when available. In one of my computers I replaced my my AX201 with the AX210 without any issues. I believe you can revert back from a CNVi adapter but not the other way around.
Besides many notebooks, some of the latest motherboards also allow you to replace the Wi-Fi 6 with 6E using the AX210. Likewise no issues seen so far.

That’s correct you can go from cNVI to standard but not in reverse in regards to upgrading to newer gen cards. Due to the fact that cNVi uses the WiFi chipset in the CPU and the card itself only has the radio. Unless your CPU supports AX using a potential cNVi variant of the AX210 won’t work. The AX210 is the full WiFi chipset and radio package.

Keep in mind if you do that, you may see lag spikes more often as the STA goes off channel to scan. The PSC are purposely spaced at 80 MHz intervals to coincide with the minimum bandwidth most devices will use.

The AP should be supporting channel advertisement in 2.4 and 5 GHz and the STA should be looking there for channel info.

This Litepoint blog post has a good explanation.
Yea I know. That's why ASUS requires that setting to be on and I cannot turn it off right now. I'm good with 12 stable channels.

I just installed an AX210 in anticipation of the GT-AXE11000 arrival tomorrow. I tried to follow @avtella's instructions, but had a different experience. I posted the details of the process I followed here. Hope it helps.

You don’t need the preview version of W10, just need the 20.30.0.11 driver and a registry edit to enable 6 GHz.
I don't think that's true. Once I updated the AXE to 3.0.0.4.386_42026 I saw the Opportunistic Wireless Encryption Option for the 6 GHz Authentication method. But the AX210 kept asking for a key. I was running Win 10 Pro.

netsh wlan show drivers did not show OWE supported as in this screenshot from https://dot11.exposed/2020/06/15/wi...d-open-owe-opportunistic-wireless-encryption/
image-9.png
I'm updating Win10 to version 20H2 and will report back.

Last edited:
I don't think that's true. Once I updated the AXE to 3.0.0.4.386_42026 I saw the Opportunistic Wireless Encryption Option for the 6 GHz Authentication method. But the AX210 kept asking for a key. I was running Win 10 Pro.

netsh wlan show drivers did not show OWE supported as in this screenshot from https://dot11.exposed/2020/06/15/wi...d-open-owe-opportunistic-wireless-encryption/
I'm updating Win10 to version 20H2 and will report back.
That’s the October 2020 update right, I’m on that, I haven’t tried on older versions. I meant you don’t need Windows 21H1 Preview. Router needs to be set to Open Access regardless of 20H2 or 21H1, hopefully it works when you install the Oct 20 update.

Last edited:
Once I updated to Windows 20H2 (aka 2020 October update), OWE was enabled and I could connect to the GT-AXE11000.
I updated my AX210 instructions to include this.
I saw in passing that the February monthly update mentioned fixing something related to Wifi. No idea what it addressed specifically.

Also started to get this BSOD this morning. So much work still needs to be done in regards to drivers and firmware but I’ve got a month to experiment.

The BSOD noted might have been due to the recent patch tuesday - WPA3 is borked, and MS did release an out-of-cycle patch to fix it - check Windows Update perhaps...

I posted some first results of 5 vs. 6 GHz comparison

I've had the 5GHz SSID disappear a few times - 3 or 4 occurrences since I set up the AXE11000 18 days ago. I've noticed this when my laptop loses connectivity for a few minutes but I haven't timed the duration. I can still see the 2GHz and 6GHz SSIDs in Windows 10's connection list - but no 5GHz. During the last occurrence I checked my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and verified that it also couldn't see the 5GHz SSID, so not an Intel driver issue.

Do you have 5 GHz set to 160 MHz? Could be due to DFS scanning.

Yes I have it set to 20/40/80/160 MHz. With Enable 160 Mhz checked/on and with Auto select channel including DFS channels unchecked/off. Though that last option may be irrelevant when 160 MHz is enabled.

I haven't noticed such behavior with a Netgear RAX120 configured to 160MHz, so had assumed that this AXE11000 behavior wasn't caused by DFS scanning. Perhaps a different implementation or different timing of the scanning.

Dropping back to the RAX120 @ 160MHz will probably be a better option for me than reconfiguring the AXE11000 to 80Mhz. Transfer speeds seem to be more consistent with the RAX120 too. It may be time to return the AXE11000 and revisit 6E later this year when other router/AP options are available.

160 MHz bandwidth is really a crapshoot in 5 GHz and not even a viable option in some countries due to limited 5 GHz channels.
My new benchmark suite will run RvR 2.4 GHz @ 20 MHz, 5 GHz @ 80 MHz and 6 GHz at 160MHz channel bandwidths. I think that will represent the settings that a majority of users will end up using.

Having a point of comparison between 160MHz width 5GHz and 6GHz bands would be helpful though. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!