What's new

GT-AXE16000 160MHz on 5GHz#2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drabisan

Very Senior Member
Just the first day with GT-AXE16000 and can't find any related topic.
1st 5GHz radio has no problems to use 160MHz spacing.
2nd 5GHz radio despite my best attempts doesn't go above 80.

Node, an AX88U is wired, and that unit's 5GHz follows the setting of the 2nd 5GHz radio. AiMesh.
I would definitely enjoy having the node using 160. It will be higher than my 1G backhaul, I get it. I'm just in testing mode for the moment.

But I'm wondering if it's possible. Has anyone seen 2nd 5GHz radio doing 160? If so, can you please post your wireless settings? Both basic and professional.
Latest Asus firmware on both. Haven't tried Merlin. I'm still figuring some things out and I'll give a try to Merlin sooner than later - my previous router was not supported so I was stuck with Asus' firmware for a long while.

In Europe channels from 100 to 128 are available.
wl2_country_code=E0
wl2_country_rev=636
Router was bought from Amazon, nothing too exotic.
Likely it's time to nag Asus a bit with a case.

I have another problem. Set up both 5G bands with 160 MHz
1677502937198.png

But 5G-2 isn't visible (not in NetSetMan Pro or in inSSIDer)
1677502937159.png

EU-model with latest FW 388.1_0_rog

And its not only my PC, my iphone cant see 5G-2 either.

Is it a Merlin problem?

Attachments

• 1677502825073.png
    1677502825073.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 44
You're running Merlin. I'm trying to get in touch with Asus first, to understand if it's a miss on the wireless drivers they implement. However, from what I've read, Merlin uses the same drivers.

In your case, what Wirelss Logs is saying?

Mine shows the interface, I can see BSSID coming from that MAC address and I can associate to it.
"Chanspec: 5GHz channel 106 80MHz (0xe06a)
Primary channel: 100".
My "problem" is it doesn't want to swich to 160MHz.

There may be something else. Check the logs for something like "wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(657): eth8: Radar detected"
eth8 being 5GHz#2.
Such event will make your radio to stop transmitting for 30 minutes on that channel.

If you have such message in the logs, it's likely that's why you're not seeing the SSID on that channel (although device should change the channel from the one you've selected so you should see it on a different channel).

I narrowed down very well one problem.
So node GT-AXE16000 running 9.0.0.6.102_3506 (I tried this beta release, as 3.0.0.4.388.22525 was not helping in any ways with 160MHz spacing).
And things went even weirder - GT will keep choosing 80MHz at best. Some channels will use 40 or even 20, but that's not surprising, it's regulations.
But the node, an RT-AX88U stops broadcasting any beacons on 5GHz. A reboot of the node will fix the problem for 1h or so, then it stops again.
Unchecking "Enable 160 MHz" on 2nd 5GHz radio makes node stable.

I'm still waiting for Asus to reply to by feedback - it's been a while since I communicated with them by sending feedback from router interface, I hope that's still an option.
What I find strange:
1. no channel 114 in EU
2. no way to convince the GT router to try 160MHz.
3. instability of the node when that option is used when router is running beta firmware.

Probably that's still work in progress. This is not a deal breaker for me!
I get 10G ports that can be used as 1G ports until Synology creates a unit with 10G ports at reasonable price, I get 6GHz radio.

After some (a lot) of try&fail I found forcing Channel bandwidth to 160MHz on 5G_2 works. Default is 20/40/80/160 and I didn't see it more than once actually going to 160. And even then for a very short time.
Automatic or static channel - it uses everything from 100 to 128 as expected, all those are the channels that can be bundled in 160.
Prone to radar - there is a syslog message when that happens.
It takes quite a while to "settle". I would say 10 minutes. Changing any setting takes a bit of cooldown time before making the call it's a good setting or a bad one.
My node it's an AX88U. Most times that one also uses 160MHz. In a couple of occasions I found AX88U stops sending any beacons on 5GHz interface. A node reboot solves the problem. It's not happening often - once it "settles" it's all good.

Interesting the feedback from Asus:
- they did not comment anything about 20/40/80/160 setting not being predictable in choosing 160.
- any radar event (for real of fake) will move the system to 80MHz. Router will not attempt to try again 160 unless rebooted. (or wireless restart - but they didn't say that). So their advice is to schedule a periodic reload. I was expecting a DFS event ot require 60 minutes to stay away from that channel and try it again after that. It looks like Asus did not went that far.

I'll pursue that path for a weekly reload.
I had that schedule on my old router as wifi was becoming unstable after 8-10 days. I'll do the same for this router.
Even before Asus' advice I had the weekly reload in place for a different reason: I found that after ~10 days uptime this AXE16000 start interfering with my wireless subwoofer. Sub is disconnecting from soundbar for about 1s and reconnects for a while and then again...Not easy to notice, but it's there. AXE16000 reload solves the problem for at least 1 week.
I've seen this 2 times and after that I scheduled weekly reload. I know, this is a weird one!

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!