What's new

ASUS GT-AXE16000 / GT-AX11000 PRO and 5GHz-2 behavior with AiMesh node + wired backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ruined

New Around Here
So, when using either the GT-AXE16000 or GT-AX11000 PRO with a wired ethernet backhaul, 160mhz channel width, and a dual band AiMesh note (eg GT-AX6000), I noticed the below behavior:

Using 5GHz-1 as main mesh network SSID, and 5GHz-2 with a hidden dummy SSID:

Scenario A) If main router 5GHz-2 radio is enabled, the AiMesh node will broadcast the mesh network's 5GHz SSID on the same channels as the main router 5GHz-2's hidden dummy network SSID, overlapping it

Scenario B) If 5GHz-2 radio is disabled, the AiMesh node will broadcast the mesh network's 5GHz SSID on same channel as the main router's 5Ghz-1 channels, overlapping it.

My question is, as I am not going to use the 5Ghz-2 ssid at all, will Scenario A or B be theoretically better for performance for the 5ghz mesh network?

Welcome to the forums @Ruined.

Theoretically, it will depend on the specifics of the local environmental factors and network usage.

You'll need to test to find out what is best for your environment/use case.

Welcome to the forums @Ruined.

Theoretically, it will depend on the specifics of the local environmental factors and network usage.

You'll need to test to find out what is best for your environment/use case.
OK. The entire 5ghz spectrum is clear though with no interference from other networks or radar, its basically just a question of whether its better to overlap the unused hidden 5ghz-2 radio's network ssid or the main 5ghz-1 radio network ssid. I would think the unused network might make more sense, though I guess testing only way to know.

Construction of the walls/floors, the distance between the two routers, the ductwork/plumbing, power lines, showers/glass and other local non-WiFi interference will all play a part. Including any power level differences between the channels chosen.

Theoretical is a good start. Rolling the sleeves up and getting the testing/work done (and actually, knowing) trumps it (almost) every time.

Regardless of the clear 5GHz spectrum.

I think L&LD is missing the point just a little bit.

I concur with your notion that it'd be better to go with scenario A, of the two options.

Do you desire a feature only available within "mesh" mode, such as propagating a guest network system-wide? If not, or if willing to trade that away, you can readily utilize any / all radios in such a way as to truly maximize your system by running the "node" as an AP instead.

I quickly switched out of "mesh" mode when I saw the channel overlapping / duplicating that it uses. I never investigated it but fear the controlling unit taking its (thus the /system's/) channel decisions without due consideration of a node's specific radio environment, which may well be different than what the main unit experiences. And if it /does/ choose "system wide" channels based also on the node's situation, then who suffers compromise? As an AP, I can /know/ it will "auto channel" independently as needed (and have seen it do so).

So, when using either the GT-AXE16000 or GT-AX11000 PRO with a wired ethernet backhaul, 160mhz channel width, and a dual band AiMesh note (eg GT-AX6000), I noticed the below behavior:

Using 5GHz-1 as main mesh network SSID, and 5GHz-2 with a hidden dummy SSID:

Scenario A) If main router 5GHz-2 radio is enabled, the AiMesh node will broadcast the mesh network's 5GHz SSID on the same channels as the main router 5GHz-2's hidden dummy network SSID, overlapping it

Scenario B) If 5GHz-2 radio is disabled, the AiMesh node will broadcast the mesh network's 5GHz SSID on same channel as the main router's 5Ghz-1 channels, overlapping it.

My question is, as I am not going to use the 5Ghz-2 ssid at all, will Scenario A or B be theoretically better for performance for the 5ghz mesh network?

You paid for a router with 2 5GHz radios and you don't plan to use it. Sell it and buy a less expensive model with a single 5GHz.
Regarding what's best A or B - depends how far your 2 routers are one from the other, what type of walls are in between etc.

Aimesh does puts 5GHz radio on both router and node on the same channel. If router and node are not far away or with thick walls in between, maybe it's a better idea not to use AiMesh but rather turn node into a basic AP where you can choose channel you want to use.
Even if the 2 are overlapping, if your environment is not congested by neighbors, worth checking the performance. You may be surprised to see you can get good performance.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!