What's new

Guest Access extending

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mylesm

New Around Here
HI

I have a netgear wndr3700V4 as my main router works good but range is not great

It is located in my office downstairs in a 2 storey home I have hardwired to the lan ports a Linksys NSLU,A VOIP phone,A Sonos Zone bridge,a WD Media player these are all located beside the router so moving all these is not an option

I frequently have guests staying and for them I have the guest network available on the Netgear which restricts them to Internet only no access to my internal lan works but very poor connection in upstairs bedrooms

I hope someone can advise if i put an ap upstairs how can i restrict that wireless ap to internet only as it will be hardwired to lan port on my netgear router

Thanks

Mylesm

I gather you'd want to improve the range of both the guest network and your house network, correct? Given that you don't want to run any cables, you'd need to wirelessly repeat your networks.

The simplest solution is probably to buy two cheap range extenders, one for your home network and one for your guest network. Should work, even though it might not be very elegant.

A better solution is to buy a second router (has to be multi-ssid capable), and create two wireless repeater bridges. I think you'd need to use a 3rd-party firmware for that, though. OpenWrt is by far my preferred choice, but it is best suited for people with some experience (which you might have, for all I know).

If you want to try that, ensure that you buy a router that is fully supported by OpenWrt, and I'd also recommend that you buy one that is Atheros-based, as the support in OpenWrt in general is better for those than for Broadcom-based routers. I recently did something similar, and I bought a rather cheap TP-Link router (WDR4300), which is well supported in OpenWrt.

Your current router is Atheros-based, but it has NAND-flash instead of NOR-flash, and it is not (at least not yet) supported in OpenWrt.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!