What's new

Guest isolation on mesh node when in access point mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dakusan

New Around Here
I just bought 2 ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 routers which are running the up-to-date stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386_46061 and are in access point mode. I have been able to get guest isolation (blocking access to the local network) working on the primary access point with
Code:
ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -i wl1.1 -p IPv4 --ip-dst 192.168.1.0/24 -j DROP

I am wanting to also get guest networks working the same way with my mesh nodes. Unfortunately, this seems to be a rather new feature (the Guest Network “Sync to AiMesh Node”), so there isn't much information on it that I can find.

The mesh node is connected to the primary node via the secondary 5ghz channel, so I think the rule has to do something with that routing. I tried adding all of the following to the mesh node, but none of them worked.

Code:
ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -i wl1.1 -p IPv4 --ip-dst 192.168.1.0/24 -j DROP
ebtables -A FORWARD -i wl1.1 -p IPv4 --ip-dst 192.168.1.0/24 -j DROP
ebtables -A INPUT -i wl1.1 -p IPv4 --ip-dst 192.168.1.0/24 -j DROP

Any thoughts on how I might make this possible?

That is one of the things I like about my eero pro units, even in their Bridge (AP) mode they can separate the Guest network across all nodes. I was never able to do that with any of the Asus wifi routers I had.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!