What's new

Guest Network on AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

v1tt0

New Around Here
Hello, I have an RT-AC86U as router, running Merlin 386.2_2, and 5 aimesh nodes connected via ethernet backhaul to the router. 2 nodes are Lyra Trio and other 3 are ZenWifi mini AC (CD6). All nodes run on the latest beta fw available.

To the problem: The guest network 1 is synced to the nodes and broadcasted normally. However I cannot connect and the reason seems to be that the client cannot receive an IP.
The below is reported in the sys log of the router:
Apr 22 17:07:19 dnsmasq-dhcp[2457]: DHCPDISCOVER(br2) a8:db:xx:xx:xx:xx
Apr 22 17:07:19 dnsmasq-dhcp[2457]: DHCPOFFER(br2) 192.168.102.100 a8:db:xx:xx:xx:xx

What I've tried so far:
Removed the switch inbetween router and nodes and connected directly on the router. Did not work
Enabled intranet access for guest network. It works but makes guest network pointless
Connected the node via wireless backhaul. It works but the signal is very weak

Any suggestions on where to look next? Thanks in advance!

Hello, I have an RT-AC86U as router, running Merlin 386.2_2, and 5 aimesh nodes connected via ethernet backhaul to the router. 2 nodes are Lyra Trio and other 3 are ZenWifi mini AC (CD6). All nodes run on the latest beta fw available.

To the problem: The guest network 1 is synced to the nodes and broadcasted normally. However I cannot connect and the reason seems to be that the client cannot receive an IP.
The below is reported in the sys log of the router:
Apr 22 17:07:19 dnsmasq-dhcp[2457]: DHCPDISCOVER(br2) a8:db:xx:xx:xx:xx
Apr 22 17:07:19 dnsmasq-dhcp[2457]: DHCPOFFER(br2) 192.168.102.100 a8:db:xx:xx:xx:xx

What I've tried so far:
Removed the switch inbetween router and nodes and connected directly on the router. Did not work
Enabled intranet access for guest network. It works but makes guest network pointless
Connected the node via wireless backhaul. It works but the signal is very weak

Any suggestions on where to look next? Thanks in advance!
Likely because your nodes are running the 384. version of Asus firmware. As I remember the 384 version did not support syncing the guest WIFI.

Likely because your nodes are running the 384. version of Asus firmware. As I remember the 384 version did not support syncing the guest WIFI.
Correct but this applies only for Lyra Trio nodes. The ZenWifi Mini AC run 386 version.

After flashing the RMerlin v386.2_2 firmware on all capable routers, did you fully reset them? And without using saved backup config files to configure them afterward?

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021
I have fully reset the router after the transition 384 to 386. I then dirty flashed the 386.2_2 over the previous 386 version. I was really hoping to avoid fully resetting everything but I will do so just to rule out that this is causing the issue. I will probably today and come back with the results

Correct but this applies only for Lyra Trio nodes. The ZenWifi Mini AC run 386 version.

I have fully reset the router after the transition 384 to 386. I then dirty flashed the 386.2_2 over the previous 386 version. I was really hoping to avoid fully resetting everything but I will do so just to rule out that this is causing the issue. I will probably today and come back with the results
Reading again your original post it seems that I missed something and that you may not have provided enough information. I'll make a couple of assumptions.
You mention that the Guest was set to sync across the nodes therefore you are using Guest 1. Does not matter if for 2.4 or 5 GHz. Client can't get an IP.
Did you reserve an IP in LAN/DHCP Server/Manually Assigned...? If so, that will not work with the Guest 1 as it uses a subnet different than the LAN subnet. There has been plenty written about the Guest WIFI on the forum.

Reading again your original post it seems that I missed something and that you may not have provided enough information. I'll make a couple of assumptions.
You mention that the Guest was set to sync across the nodes therefore you are using Guest 1. Does not matter if for 2.4 or 5 GHz. Client can't get an IP.
Did you reserve an IP in LAN/DHCP Server/Manually Assigned...? If so, that will not work with the Guest 1 as it uses a subnet different than the LAN subnet. There has been plenty written about the Guest WIFI on the forum.
No I have not set static IPs at the table, I leave the assignment to the DHCP server. I am aware that Guest 1 networks uses the 192.168.101.0 and 102.0 pools.

I am going to try fully resetting the router and setting up again to see if it fixes the problem. If not, I will try ASUS fw as well.

So I spent all night trying different fw with no luck. I flashed the router with Merlin's 386.2_2, 386.2_1, 386.1_1 and Asus 3.0.0.4.386.41634 and 3.0.0.4.386.40451. I followed the steps for an appropriate factory default reset in between the flashes.
In all cases, the guest network is operating normally when the node is connected wirelessly to the router. When on ethernet backhaul, there is no connectivity.
I have reported the bug to Asus and waiting

So I spent all night trying different fw with no luck. I flashed the router with Merlin's 386.2_2, 386.2_1, 386.1_1 and Asus 3.0.0.4.386.41634 and 3.0.0.4.386.40451. I followed the steps for an appropriate factory default reset in between the flashes.
In all cases, the guest network is operating normally when the node is connected wirelessly to the router. When on ethernet backhaul, there is no connectivity.
I have reported the bug to Asus and waiting
Hi, experiencing the same thing on my AX-3000. Everything works as it should on wireless backhaul. But when using ethernet backhaul GN1 does not work, unable to attain an IP address.