What's new

guest network settings show network key/passphrase

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gratje

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm running a RT-AC66 and RT-AC68.
both run on the latest merlin firmware 380.68.4
I noticed in the guest network settings the network key is visible istead of dotted out like in the wireless settings page.
both in the guest network main page as in the settings of the guest network that is chosen.
WPA Pre-Shared Key shows the password in text instead of dots.

is it possible to hide it? just like in the settings of the normal wireless settings page?
I know it is a guest network and the guest should see the password. but the guest is not logging into my routers. and if I'm logged in i don't want them to see the passphrase

I must be misunderstanding something in your question: when your guest asks for the password to the wifi, will you be giving it to them either on a piece of paper or verbally? Your guests won't have access to the router's webui without the router's login username and password, and all the more so when you block Intranet access for the guest network. (Clearly, you'll have made a note of the guest wifi password so that you don't have to remind yourself by accessing the webui every time someone asks you for it with the guest looking over your shoulder.)

What am I not getting?

This would be trickier since it's text printed directly on the web page rather than an input field that can be toggled between text and password mode as it gets active/inactive.

It was juist a question. I would be nice to have a toggle switch.
People are not watching over my shoulder. But it gives a more secure feeling.